Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
261 - 280 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
42 Posts
Have you bypassed your CPC? Or just torque scaled? Who done your tune?
My car was remotely tuned by a very good friend of mine from US, he owns Mega 3 Performance Engineering. The CPC was also remapped by him.

We had a blank CPC replacing the stock unit. I was told that the CPC will no longer intervene with torque limiting and the maximum speed restriction is lifted as well.

Best part is that the exhaust flap is now programmed to be opened full time too.

Not too sure this is the right thread to post the dyno chart?

·
Registered
34 Posts
My car was remotely tuned by a very good friend of mine from US, he owns Mega 3 Performance Engineering. The CPC was also remapped by him.

We had a blank CPC replacing the stock unit. I was told that the CPC will no longer intervene with torque limiting and the maximum speed restriction is lifted as well.

Best part is that the exhaust flap is now programmed to be opened full time too.

Post it please!

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
42 Posts

Here you go my friend.

It was also a pleasant surprise to see the power from the stock map when we did the baseline pull initially.

Assuming if we use a 12% power loss on transmission, we'd be looking at 440 PS on crank and 530 Nm on stock?

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
42 Posts
Anyone had their CPC tuned as well? Because I've been noticing is that not many people actually pay attention to it and only went for an ECU remap but it actually plays a huge role in allowing all the power the be put down to the wheels.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
42 Posts
I still dont understand how the cpc in AMG cars works.
Maybe I could share my layman understanding on this as I had my CPC remapped along with the ECU.

I was made to understand that the CPC (Central Powertrain Controller) is responsible for several things in the car such as the maximum torque, speed limit, exhaust flap control to name a few and it was introduced in the later models of the Mercedes car. Some just refer them as the secondary ECU if you will.

So if one were to go down the tuning path whereby only the ECU software is adjusted without making adjustments to the CPC, the stock CPC observes how many times there is a violation to the some of the counters it is observing and it sends a request to the ECU to cut power, such as closing throttle plate, cutting ignition timing, reducing boost etc.

I've heard from my tuner that he came across cars tuned by other shops whereby the ECU tune is corrected back to almost stock power levels in the course of few (or 8 I can't remember) months due to the CPC intervention, and it always happens to a vehicle with a stock CPC.

So then, one would ask why not we just reflash the CPC and we all can be on our merry way? Well I asked the same too. And I was told that the original CPC unit can't be reprogrammed directly, at least for now and hence to overcome this, we will need to install a blank/virgin CPC unit, reprogram it to match your VIN and then further adjustments can be done via the OBD port.

I've attached some pictures of the stock CPC when I had it replaced with a virgin unit to be reprogrammed.

Hope this will shed some light and help in any way.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
In case you guys are wondering and didn't get the notification narrative. I've moved all this good stuff on tuning in to the tuning thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks for all the information, this is very interesting - I wasn't even aware that the CPC needed to be tuned etc. I'm Malaysian as well but currently living in Singapore. In any case, it seems pretty difficult (at least on my part) to find a tuner that's know to be reliable/well known for W177 tuning, which is why I'll be staving off until I have done enough research!

You mentioned that you had a good friend tune your car remotely, as well as had a blank CPC replacing the stock unit. May I ask how all of this was done logistically?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
42 Posts
Thanks for all the information, this is very interesting - I wasn't even aware that the CPC needed to be tuned etc. I'm Malaysian as well but currently living in Singapore. In any case, it seems pretty difficult (at least on my part) to find a tuner that's know to be reliable/well known for W177 tuning, which is why I'll be staving off until I have done enough research!

You mentioned that you had a good friend tune your car remotely, as well as had a blank CPC replacing the stock unit. May I ask how all of this was done logistically?

Thanks!
Ah, he sent me a flashing kit along with a blank CPC. Once I got everything set up, using TeamViewer he was able to remote in.

All you need is to have a laptop running Windows with a steady internet connection.

I still have the kit with me, probably will be closer for me to send you from Malaysia rather than him sending all the way from US?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright, got it.

Thanks for the offer man, really appreciate it. Let me do some research in SG first, would be nice to deal with someone in person just incase things go wrong (touch wood) etc.!

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow
71 Posts
Anyone tried the DTUK Tuning Box? They seem to have a good rep on other brands and I like the idea of not having to refresh the ECU every time the car goes for service, just disconnect the box.

Not much money for a decent uplift but maybe that says something?

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
42 Posts
Anyone tried the DTUK Tuning Box? They seem to have a good rep on other brands and I like the idea of not having to refresh the ECU every time the car goes for service, just disconnect the box.

Not much money for a decent uplift but maybe that says something?
I spoke to them previously before deciding to bench my ECU. Although from the surface level it seems a lot simpler and easier to remove it before sending in the car, however there is one sensor which is the boost sensor that is beneath the engine and requires you to remove the under tray to have access to it during installation, hence the same for removing process too.

That totally defeats the whole purpose of using an external tuning box for the ease of removal doesn't it?

They sent me the installation manual and after going through it, I believe it is a lot more hassle than just doing a flash on the ECU directly. The actual process takes less than 30 seconds for me to refresh it with the tool my tuner sent me. However, if you factor in the time that you need to boot your laptop, setup the cables, make it 3 minutes tops.

I've attached the installation manual and also a screenshot from it for your easy reference.

Hope it helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please do let us know about the tune.
it’s a stage 1 DMS tune, I’ve since that day changed the stock air filter, running an Armaspeed intake at the moment but I’m testing out the Eventuri A45s intake next Tuesday when I’m down there for spacers, should now be running 500bhp & 670NM ish

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
The owner of the CLA45s has just joined the forum. I will direct him to this section.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
it’s a stage 1 DMS tune, I’ve since that day changed the stock air filter, running an Armaspeed intake at the moment but I’m testing out the Eventuri A45s intake next Tuesday when I’m down there for spacers, should now be running 500bhp & 670NM ish
We have one of us on the A35 part of the forum who has run in to a number of issues from his mods as well as on the A45 W176 forum. I personally would be cautious about spacers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have one of us on the A35 part of the forum who has run in to a number of issues from his mods as well as on the A45 W176 forum. I personally would be cautious about spacers.
ive spoken to a few people (A35 owners not 45s) who have ran spacers & seems completely fine, what’s your concerns?

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
It all depends on the nature of the other mods done with the spacers, eg lowering.

A member totally trashed his rear diff because the lowering plus spacers completely changed the geometry and angles of the prop shaft, causing undue strain on the diff pinion and output shafts.

It went bang, with prior intermittent “4Matic Unavailable” messages on the display.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It all depends on the nature of the other mods done with the spacers, eg lowering.

A member totally trashed his rear diff because the lowering plus spacers completely changed the geometry and angles of the prop shaft, causing undue strain on the diff pinion and output shafts.

It went bang, with prior intermittent “4Matic Unavailable” messages on the display.
oh I see, I’m not lowering it just 12mm spacers all round

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Keep us posted when you've done the mod.

I also meant to ask what are your times like in the dry 0-60 or 62 and 1/4 mile.

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
oh I see, I’m not lowering it just 12mm spacers all round
As always, there’s no such thing as a free lunch ;)

Always pros and cons with every mod, that’s not to say you shouldn’t do it, but just go into mods with your eyes open. (y)

261 - 280 of 317 Posts