Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At speady speed around 90 MPH a whistling sound is heard. It is not aerodaymic, it is not related to engine RPMs or gear in the gearbox. As soon as pressure in the accelerator pedal is increased or decreased, sound stops. MB dealer could not identify what it is. Changed differential after instructions from AMG. Sound remained the same. Another 2 A45S cars were tried however and they made the exact same noise. To me it is not normal. Anyone experienced the same noise in your cars?

Registered
At speady speed around 90 MPH a whistling sound is heard. It is not aerodaymic, it is not related to engine RPMs or gear in the gearbox. As soon as pressure in the accelerator pedal is increased or decreased, sound stops. MB dealer could not identify what it is. Changed differential after instructions from AMG. Sound remained the same. Another 2 A45S cars were tried however and they made the exact same noise. To me it is not normal. Anyone experienced the same noise in your cars?

Have you checked the rear view mirror? It could be the Police 馃槃

Super Moderator

Hypothetically speaking no, as such speeds are not legal in the UK. Besides anything else the car is not a very quiet place at speed. I am surprised your car is so quiet in the videos, compared to mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Have you checked the rear view mirror? It could be the Police 馃槃
There is certainly a risk involved in driving a car having 167 mph top speed! 馃槉 I know in the UK speed limits are monitored more strictly than in other countries.

Sound starts at 85 mph steady speed, MB claims all A45Ss do it. This is what I am trying to find out. Hopefully with the wisdom of the members of the forum, I may get the answer.

Registered
If you mean that constant medium to high pitch sound, mine does that at 40 mph and only while cruising at that speed, such as in mild traffic. Yours appears to be louder though, mine isn't that noticeable. And it won't do it if I'm accelerating or braking (or even lifting off). Dunno what it is but I'm sure it's normal.

Reactions: pgp

Registered
Under the windscreen wipers is the plastic tray flat? All the way along? I had this replaced as sorted it out

Super Moderator
^ This was the cure for my "whistling" at around 80mph

(The OP's might be a different whistling connected to the drivetrain, of course)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ This was the cure for my "whistling" at around 80mph

(The OP's might be a different whistling connected to the drivetrain, of course)
The whistling sound is not produced by air flow. It stops when the pressure on the accelerator changes, although the car for a few seconds moves at the same speed. Next week Mercedes will give me another A45S to try with a head mechanic, since they claim that all cars do it.

Registered
The whistling sound is not produced by air flow. It stops when the pressure on the accelerator changes, although the car for a few seconds moves at the same speed. Next week Mercedes will give me another A45S to try with a head mechanic, since they claim that all cars do it.
You didn't check the airvent on the windscreen??
It sitting off the windscreen allows the pressure in hence cause the noise at different speeds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts