Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a front-facing camera on my Nov 2018 A200 AMG Line which is used when the augmented reality sat-nav is used. I assume this is always recording footage does anyone know if we can access it - is it stored in the cloud can we access it ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi, I have a front-facing camera on my Nov 2018 A200 AMG Line which is used when the augmented reality sat-nav is used. I assume this is always recording footage does anyone know if we can access it - is it stored in the cloud can we access it ?
As far as I know this footage is not accessible yet. There’s a dash cam button in the menus which is greyed out so maybe in the future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe its available in other countries (I want to say Australia?), but not in the UK unfortunately.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The camera has never been available to use in the UK for anything else but the augmented nav. Speculation is that the reason for this are regulations elsewhere - dashcams for example are not allowed in Austria at all and subject to restrictions in France (footage cannot be uploaded to the internet and must go straight to the police if used). Because of this Mercedes has decided to just switch it off until a way is found to enable it in the different markets. For example, as soon as you drive across the Austrian border it must warn to switch the camera off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The camera has never been available to use in the UK for anything else but the augmented nav. Speculation is that the reason for this are regulations elsewhere - dashcams for example are not allowed in Austria at all and subject to restrictions in France (footage cannot be uploaded to the internet and must go straight to the police if used). Because of this Mercedes has decided to just switch it off until a way is found to enable it in the different markets. For example, as soon as you drive across the Austrian border it must warn to switch the camera off.
Yes this is correct. I had the following response from Mercedes Customer Service in November 2019.
“Regarding the dash cam functionality, this is currently under review for European Countries as each country has its own specific laws and regulations regarding the use of dash cams and as we need to comply and operate within each countries specific regulation. The implementation is currently still being investigated and as of this moment, no decision has been made yet.”

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes this is correct. I had the following response from Mercedes Customer Service in November 2019.
“Regarding the dash cam functionality, this is currently under review for European Countries as each country has its own specific laws and regulations regarding the use of dash cams and as we need to comply and operate within each countries specific regulation. The implementation is currently still being investigated and as of this moment, no decision has been made yet.”
The Multibeam headlights automatically adjust for whichever country you're driving in so how difficult would it be for them to make the dashcam function location specific really...?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe its available in other countries (I want to say Australia?), but not in the UK unfortunately.
Not available in Australia as far as I know. We don't even have AR sat-nav here. (Owner of an A250 4matic in Sydney)

·
Registered
811 Posts
And (if you pay) you can geofence the car to tell you if it leaves a geographical area, so the software is partly there already.
I agree the software and hardware is all there to enable geofenced use of the dashcam functionality to enable, warn or disable the dashcam depending on the laws of the relevant country. My guess is MB are probably putting more thought into how they can monetise it. If they eventually enable it, £10 says it will be annual charge for the service, so yet another thing to pay £29 per annum for in the Mercedes Me portal 🙄

·
Registered
335 Posts
So we can have it here after the 31st then 🤣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts