Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week since the temperature has been dropping, on a couple of occasions I've noticed a front tyre skip during low speed maneuvering when the steering is at full lock, i.e. when parking or when pulling out of a parking spot. This is not a new phenomenon to me as I used to own a Porsche, and many Porsche owners will tell you this is a well known Porsche characteristic which is caused by what is known as the Ackermann Effect. It's not a fault, although it can raise an alarm if you're not aware this is a characteristic as it certainly feels like a fault.

I must admit I was surprised to experience this on my A35.

The blog post below explains the Ackermann Effect really well for those interested:

Has anyone else noticed a skipping of one of the front tyres whilst parking or turning at full lock?

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Yes
This tends to happen at temperatures around/below 7 deg C

Modern performance cars don’t tend to run true Ackerman geometry, they run anti Ackerman or negative Ackerman to negate the effects of tyre slip at high cornering speeds.

Of course there is no such thing as a free lunch so the drawback is wheel/tyre skip/hop/judder at low speed with full steering lock, particularly noticeable when the temperature is colder meaning the tyre compound is harder/less pliable.

The W176 A45 forum was always full of queries around this time of year from worried owners experiencing this for the first time!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to a multi storey car park yesterday which had a painted road surface. It was wet and my tyres were skipping with every turn as I travelled up the ramps to the next level. It was quite alarming to my wife who was convinced I kept hitting a curb. She didn’t like the sensation one bit, and neither did I, but at least I knew what was causing the skipping and so was a bit calmer about it ?

Reactions: JB-A45
1 - 4 of 4 Posts