Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only tried my ""Active Park Assist""� twice before, and on each occasion there was enough room for a large bus ! however today I thought that, as I had not made much use of this particular add on so far, I would ""trust""� it to get me safely into a fairly tight space, it needed several changes from fwd to rev to complete the manoeuvre, which turned out very satisfactory despite the glaring looks from the woman parked in front and facing me, so after five minutes shopping I returned to the car and decided to allow the system to get me out from where it had got me in<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">![/B]. nothing had changed around me, same vehicles, same position.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Same glaring woman as my car manoeuvred out from the space, watching me anxiously & eventually moving into reverse, away from the front of my car,
Obviously, convinced that we were on a collision course.
I carefully watched the display for the instructions to select reverse when asked, no such instruction came, and I slowly edged away and smiled at the glaring woman, dropping my window as I passed her to say ""all ok""¦its automatic ! ""
WRONG ! I was horrified, and deeply embarrassed to find later her car red paint firmly attached to my gleaming white paint on the offside front bumper corner !!
Five minutes with T cut and a little elbow grease restored my gleaming white paint""¦..But a lesson to be learnt""¦Trust your instincts DON'T TRUST THE SYSTEM...I never will.
I will now spend a lot of time hiding from a glaring woman in a red car with white streaks on its front bumper.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
sounds like a lesson learnt there, I've never tried it on mine yet. Just can't bring my self to trust the car parking its self.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Oops! I will be very wary of the parking too! JRH. Thsks for the warning!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ouch! That's not good. I've only used mine once for novelty value. Haven't used more as I didn't want to risk it kerbing my alloys. Now with your hard learned lesson, it will only be the parking sensors that are of any use to me (**** expensive option at that!)

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I paid for it on its own as the dealer insisted it was the only way to get factory parking sensors

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had a problem but I've found it quite useful but I've not used it on an ultra tight spot.

I have to admit I'm terrible at parking and have been known o scuff an alloy here and there so for me it works well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I was waiting for my Golf R about 3 years ago, the dealer loaned me a Golf Plus - as my car had exceeded their maximum wait time.
The Golf Plus had the park assist feature.

One day my wife and I decided to try it out. A reasonably sized space - it parked with no problem at all. I kept trying it over and over with smaller spaces and going faster and faster. It seemed it could handle anything. As it was a total novelty, I ended up taking a couple of guys from work round the streets near us and showing how quick it could park!

I thought it was amazing - although it wasn't a feature available for the Golf R. Would I have trusted it with my 19" shiny new black wheels? I doubt it! I'd have hoped in the last 3 years they would have continued to improve it, and it'd be flawless by now?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This will not put me off using it, as I have paid for it, I will use it...occasionally !However, it has to be said that the idea behind the option was to protect my shiny AMG alloys from my wife's parking ! She doesn't "Do" reverse parallel parking with or without mirrors & camera !
The actual parking was excellently executed, leaving a comfortable safety margin for my wheels, so the error in leaving the space was down to me trusting the equipment over my own judgement.
To be aware of potential issues is the key to making safe use of the system, which, on balance is very clever.......just not quite clever enough!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I paid for it on its own, an attempt to save my alloys for as long as possible, from my wifes' parking "skills" !not sure it was money well spent but it does have a certain novelty value.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have park assist which came with the front and rear sensors that I ordered...the salesman showed me twice, he actually staged the two parked cars in the MB car park. I asked if the assist worked to move off or get out between the two parked vehicles and he said that it wouldn't, and on the theory that if the car got in the space, you should be able to get out..... I have not been brave enough to try it myself yet!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The operating manual quite clearly states:-

<H4 =h4-title>Exiting a parking space </H4>
<DIV =chap>
<DIV =ul-element>In order that Active Parking Assist can support you when you exit the parking space:
<UL =inner-ul>
<LI>
<DIV =p-text>the border of the parking space must be high enough. A kerb stone is too small, for example.
</LI>
<LI>
<DIV =p-text>the border of the parking space must not be too wide, as the position of the vehicle must not exceed an angle of 45° to the starting position as it is manoeuvred into the parking space.
</LI>
<LI>
<DIV =p-text>a manoeuvring distance of at least 1.0 m must be available.
</LI>[/list]

<DIV =p>
<DIV =p-text>Active Parking Assist can only assist you with exiting a parking space if you have parked the vehicle parallel to the direction of travel using Active Parking Assist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts