Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2021 A250e AMG line, Premium Plus, Driving Assistance Package, in white.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my A250e (AMG line, Premium Plus, Driving Assistance Package) in September 2020, and it was delivered on 11th January 2021. It arrived in the UK on Christmas Eve, so no nasty Brexit-related surprises, although in the end there weren't any.

Anyway, day 1 and the wife wanted to see it park itself without me touching anything. "Sure," I said, "watch this!" I knew how to do it, I'd played with the demonstrator, watched countless videos, MBUK official, and You Tube, and spent many a lock-down evening devouring the online handbook during the four-month waiting period.

I drove down the road, with lots of parking spaces - nothing! To cut a long story short, the car recognises and will park in spaces perpendicular to the direction of travel, but won't even detect parallel parking spaces, let alone park in them!

My local dealer initially told me I didn't know how to work the system, but after I persuaded them otherwise, they were flummoxed. All their sales people said it should do it, and the workshop had the car for three days before they came back and said the car was insisting it had no faults.

It turns out that a change to UN regulations means that MBUK have had to drop the feature. Shame they didn't tell their dealers!

I wrote a letter of complaint to MBUK, which got shunted straight back to my dealer who gave me a reworked version of the original explanation. It doesn't make total sense, because it refers to dropping the feature back to a previous version, but it still reverses into perpendicular spaces, but totally fails to recognise parallel spaces.

Anyway, in the end I probably won't miss the feature much, I just like things I've paid for to work as intended. I got fed up of banging my head against a brick wall and accepted the offer of a free first service. Not much compensation really, but it's not the dealer's fault, it's MBUK.

Anyone else come across this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I received mine in October, exactly the same spec but mine will parallel park for me, glad it didn’t get removed from mine! Very weird...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine was built 29th Oct and delivered mid Nov has the parallel parking, so does a colleague that had his delivered first week in Jan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It turns out that a change to UN regulations means that MBUK have had to drop the feature. Shame they didn't tell their dealers!

I wrote a letter of complaint to MBUK, which got shunted straight back to my dealer who gave me a reworked version of the original explanation. It doesn't make total sense, because it refers to dropping the feature back to a previous version, but it still reverses into perpendicular spaces, but totally fails to recognise parallel spaces.

Anyway, in the end I probably won't miss the feature much, I just like things I've paid for to work as intended. I got fed up of banging my head against a brick wall and accepted the offer of a free first service. Not much compensation really, but it's not the dealer's fault, it's MBUK.

Anyone else come across this?
The dealers were told about it, a copy of the comms they were sent was posted in here a while ago:

looks like it affected all cars that went into production at the very beginning of December (mine was 24th November and still came with it!)

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
Tesla have been affected by UN/ECE R79 too

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
191 Posts
The Tesla article says they are also retroactively removing the feature. Something we had better keep an eye on when we get software updates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Much more helpful than other forums I've been on where they just say, "already answered, use the search!" (But less politely!)

I had already searched but had missed this one. Thanks Duggy83, it just shows that dealers don't always take everything on board.

Also thanks veeeight for the link to the decoder. Unfortunately it keeps saying it can't find my vehicle, but I've added it to my favourites and will keep checking for a few days.

Again, thanks to greatbrit, for that info. I am a bit worried to moan too much in case they say, "Oh, and it shouldn't have reversed into perpendicular spaces (or something) so we've removed that as well." Could they just do it with an OTA software update?:eek:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Tesla have been affected by UN/ECE R79 too

And we aren't even in the EU anymore 😡

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
There is a petition to sign, but sadly very low numbers at present

·
Registered
W177 A200
93 Posts
In the greek MB site, the active parking assist pack seems to be there still and it says:
"Active parking assist system with visual and audible obstacle warning, message for recognized parking spaces in the multi-indicator instrument with arrow indication, entry and exit assistance from horizontal and vertical parking spaces"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh well, there's one more signature on the e-petition at least!

Interesting about the Greek MB site, but does it actually drive itself in and out? That seems to be the sticking point.

Having said that, mine does drive itself (gear selection, steering, acceleration, braking) in and out of perpendicular spaces - which seems at odds with the aims of the regulation changes!

·
Registered
W177 A200
93 Posts
Oh well, there's one more signature on the e-petition at least!

Interesting about the Greek MB site, but does it actually drive itself in and out? That seems to be the sticking point.

Having said that, mine does drive itself (gear selection, steering, acceleration, braking) in and out of perpendicular spaces - which seems at odds with the aims of the regulation changes!
Yeah, that was me :D
I asked the dealer to send me a copy of the order to check if there is anything related to Active Parking Assist reduction (UN R79)...

·
Registered
174 Posts
That sucks for you guys with newer cars. I use it several times a day. Last night after driving 1100km straight and being very tired - it parked straight into a super tight parallel space while I checked my phone. Love it.

·
Registered
W177 A200
93 Posts
Yes, the dealer confirmed that active parking assist is disabled until (?) legal issues are resolved.
Well he mentioned that that's a worldwide issue because of accidents that have happened, not sure though how accurate that statement is.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yes, the dealer confirmed that active parking assist is disabled until (?) legal issues are resolved.
Well he mentioned that that's a worldwide issue because of accidents that have happened, not sure though how accurate that statement is.
Its not that surprising really, as @Stinger says he checks his phone whilst the car parks itself, and why not if you have an autonomous system except that the system is not checking for traffic..
Picture the scenario when reversing into a parking place the nose of the car swings out and the car coming from behind smashes into you and then starts the blame game, who is at fault. Now we all know it is the driver who is parking but the insurance companies could have a field day and at least one finger will point to the car manufacturer because they have the deepest pockets and much money is spent defending their position and on top of that we have the EU and their endless red tape and bureaucrats.

Personally I hope they get rid of Lane Assist and Active Braking as well whilst they are at it 😇

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this on my premium plus variant, but never given it a go as was told it isn’t great with low kerbs and would be worried about it catching an alloy, for those using it how good is it? My previous A class had it but you had to control the forward/reverse has that now changed.

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
191 Posts
I have this on my premium plus variant, but never given it a go as was told it isn’t great with low kerbs and would be worried about it catching an alloy, for those using it how good is it? My previous A class had it but you had to control the forward/reverse has that now changed.
It mostly works very well, but often parks too far from the kerb and I have to do some final jiggling. I have had it on other cars (but none before this where it automatically changed from forward to reverse) and I think it is comparable to those. I haven't had it scrape the kerb yet, but that doesn't mean it couldn't. The main thing is to go really slowly, controlling with the brake.

·
Super Moderator
410 Posts
Its not that surprising really, as @Stinger says he checks his phone whilst the car parks itself, and why not if you have an autonomous system except that the system is not checking for traffic..
Picture the scenario when reversing into a parking place the nose of the car swings out and the car coming from behind smashes into you and then starts the blame game, who is at fault. Now we all know it is the driver who is parking but the insurance companies could have a field day and at least one finger will point to the car manufacturer because they have the deepest pockets and much money is spent defending their position and on top of that we have the EU and their endless red tape and bureaucrats.

Personally I hope they get rid of Lane Assist and Active Braking as well whilst they are at it 😇
Isn't there a warning telling you to monitor the traffic while using park assist?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts