Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I couldn't find anything that answered my question but I might have missed it.

Is there are particular brand of AdBlue I should be using... do you just top it up like you would your washers.. or do you have to be more precise. I foolishly thought it would be topped up on the service and found out it wasn't when I got the car back :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
2019 A180d AMG Line Premium
24 Posts
Just wondering... I got the message, shown in attachments!

Firstly, what's "Op."?

So within the 971 miles, should I book in to my local dealer for them to fill up the adblue (presumably they'll just charge me for the adblue anyway)?
Or should I just buy a bottle separately and fill it myself?
(depending on price)

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fair enough, point taken. I just meant that if my local dealer charges less for adblue, but who am I kidding, they'd probably charge me for them filling it up aswell!
I'll add it to my shopping list then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Firstly, what's "Op."?
Operation?
Fair enough, point taken. I just meant that if my local dealer charges less for adblue, but who am I kidding, they'd probably charge me for them filling it up aswell!
I'll add it to my shopping list then.
At 971 miles, shouldn't that be included in the new car warranty/maintenance plan? Or, is there no included maintenance with a new MB in the UK?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is it normal to need to fill it so soon, at only 971 miles? (My only previous diesel vehicle was a VW with the scandal-powered engine, which used a software cheat instead of Adblue/Urea to meet emissions standards.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think you’re missing the point here. The car didn’t just drive 971 miles. It says that the adblue tank is running low and can only drive another 971 miles. Once you fill it fully (it’s way bigger than you think) it can go a loooong time. I can’t remember from mine exactly- but it’s like 6-8000 miles. Maybe more. Adblue is cheap at any gas station. Just be careful and use a funnel to put it in as it can damage the paint and plastic. If you spill, don’t panic, just rinse with water and wipe off.
It’s one of those things my garage includes on the service bill “topping off adblue €100”
Just inform them you’ll do it yourself and spend 5 mins and €20.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh. 971 miles of range remaining. That makes more sense. I totally misread it.
Checking the MMe app, I see I've still got 98% full after 829km. So, I shouldn't have to worry for a while.
I'm pretty sure my dealer will top it off for free. Might even come to my house. They're cool like that.
(I wanted to buy some coolant and oil, but they said I didn't need to worry. If it gets low, they'll come and top those up. I'm not used to that!)

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
221 Posts
Just don’t run out of AdBlue as I understand that the car will not run once it’s empty

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know it's 971 miles left (less than that now), but yeah, the engine can't be restarted till it's filled up, hence the "Emergency op. in XXX miles".
I think I read somewhere that in some cases, there's a set speed limit for a certain range and then it all shuts down, till you fill up!

Don't think our "gas" petrol stations in the UK have adblue pumps (top ups), unless certain ones do?

I should phone my local mb dealer then and see if adblue is included in my service plan or warranty, (wishful thinking), otherwise I'll get a bottle with my shopping at a supermarket.

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
221 Posts
Most filling stations have AdBlue (look in the shop) but I think that MB top it up automatically during a service. I’ll find out soon as I have my first service booked for the beginning of June

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most filling stations have AdBlue (look in the shop) but I think that MB top it up automatically during a service. I’ll find out soon as I have my first service booked for the beginning of June
They didn't fill mine during the service which I was surprised at to be honest. It's inexpensive and takes 5 minutes... but that's Mercedes. I ended up getting 20ltrs (2 X 10) from Halfords for £12 (promotion) and did it myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They didn't fill mine during the service which I was surprised at to be honest. It's inexpensive and takes 5 minutes... but that's Mercedes. I ended up getting 20ltrs (2 X 10) from Halfords for £12 (promotion) and did it myself.
I went to my local Morrisons filling station and they have 10 litre containers for £12 (probably should've gone to Halfords, had I known I'd get 2 x 10 litres for the same price.)
Although 20 litres might've been too much, as when my car goes in for it's next service, what if they actually do drain out the AdBlue (then it would be wasted) and then fill it right up with their own brand AdBlue!

Anyway,.I'm up to 68% full now (according to my Mercedes Me app), so that should last me a while.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to my local Morrisons filling station and they have 10 litre containers for £12 (probably should've gone to Halfords, had I known I'd get 2 x 10 litres for the same price.)
Although 20 litres might've been too much, as when my car goes in for it's next service, what if they actually do drain out the AdBlue (then it would be wasted) and then fill it right up with their own brand AdBlue!

Anyway,.I'm up to 68% full now (according to my Mercedes Me app), so that should last me a while.
Pretty sure AdBlue is AdBlue it's all the same thing in the bottle. I only put the 10ltrs in, I have the other 10 sitting there for next time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts