Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to the Mercedes A Class community but have a little story for you all.
I recently purchased a 6 month old AMG A35 from a main dealer. Had a few months and have loved it up until last weekend when engine light came on. Called Merc who sent out technician. Diagnosed coil pack and fitted new. Next day having driven a few miles without issue engine light came back on and same 3 cylinder rough running engine was back. Car went in to main dealer who advised a valve problem (no further info on this yet) New head now being fitted. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had a lot of issues with my A35 (that I love) as it was one of the first batch of vehicles delivered to customers (Registered 1st March 2019) from brake issues, parts of exterior & interior trim missing, suspension warning messages, centre console buttons stuck/fitted wrong, constant passenger airbag failure warnings, dashboard rattles/Pillar rattles and software failures that have caused my dash to go black while driving at motorway speeds and forced me to emergency stop and shutdown the vehicle and wait 10 mins before unlocking again at which stage it is fixed.

However I have not had any engine warning issues and I haven't heard of anyone else getting them, I would personally suggest if you can at all that you should exchange it for a different used A35 or return it for a full refund as it does not sound like its going to be reliable vehicle at all! How many miles did it have on it when you purchased it and which dealer did you get it from as a vehicle only 6 months old with engine warning lights and requiring a new headers sounds like it was an MB World track car which has been driven like it was stolen from day one and never run or looked after.

If you cannot return it or exchange I would suggest you speak to your dealer and request they give you a signed letter fully confirming the warranty length on the vehicle and also confirming what it was used for prior to sale as if it was an ex demo MB World track vehicle and they didn't inform you of this prior to purchase you would have very strong grounds to take the dealer to court for a refund.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
I've only heard of 2 UK cases of A35 engines needing to be replaced under warranty, they are both documented in the A35 facebook group.

Your case sounds like the variable valve mechanism has stopped working in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,just had the same issue with my A35...had the car for a year and i started the car on Monday and it was idling oddly,I went to the petrol garage and when I went to restart it was idling poorly again and lost power....Mercedes Breakdown diagnosed a mis fire on cylinder 3...its been at the mercedes garage since and I rang them today to get an update and they have said that there is a cylinder failure and that they have never seen this on this car type before and are in contact with mercedes technical with how to resolve and have mentioned a head replacement....think I'm going to ring them tomorrow as there's more in this then there letting me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,just an update...my car had to have the cylinder head replaced under warranty...poor communication from the dealer throughout tho,I got the car back after 2 weeks and then the coolant light kept coming on and then the engine light warning came up on the dash....it went back in and they diagnosed a problem with the inter-cooler so replaced that under warranty too,had the car back this week so see what happens next,hopefully that's the end of my problems.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Hi All,just an update...my car had to have the cylinder head replaced under warranty...poor communication from the dealer throughout tho,I got the car back after 2 weeks and then the coolant light kept coming on and then the engine light warning came up on the dash....it went back in and they diagnosed a problem with the inter-cooler so replaced that under warranty too,had the car back this week so see what happens next,hopefully that's the end of my problems.
Very few seem to have reported these engine issues on this forum or FB so I hope it is now resolved for you but also that other A-Class models in general aren't likely to suffer.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
There’s a whole load more reports on the A35 Facebook group in the last few months I’m afraid.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Like London buses.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Its a fb A35 forum, so mainly A35’s on that forum being reported!

I think it’s a problem with the variable cam timing , it first manifests itself as a misfire ....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was told told by the dealership that its more apparent in the A250 which we know is the same engine as the A35 but probably not well known about if people aren't on forums etc...I expect it just goes in and gets fixed under warranty either way,not sure if the inter cooler problem so close after the cylinder head change is part of it?

·
Registered
Mercedes w177 A250 Edition 1
11 Posts
Also with the A250. My car is now in the garage for 5 weeks🤦🏻‍♂️.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
A few more owners piling in on the A35 forum on facebook, reporting needing new cylinder heads, after a "misfire" symptom....

·
Registered
11 Posts
A few more owners piling in on the A35 forum on facebook, reporting needing new cylinder heads, after a "misfire" symptom....
Mine is in at the minute with the same thing, C1 misfire. compression issue. Exactly the same symptoms.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keep us updated please!
Will do, I am keen to get some recognition from the dealer that this is a common fault.
My A35 is a July 2019 car and has 25K on it so its been around a bit more than some of the folks that have experienced this. But 25K to me should not necessitate a new head or even top end rebuild. This has got to be either design or manufacturing issues with the numbers of these reports coming through.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,just for reference my cylinder head replacement was at approx just under 14,000 miles,unsure if there's been a minimum or a maximum mileage this has happened too through people's shares.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Most of the issues im hearing are with the 2019's but obviously this is due to them having covered more miles, just hoping that the newer ones don't have this problem, Mines Sept2020 70 plate so hoping I've missed it, Ive heard of a few 20 plates having the issue, but no 70's yet, which again could be due to the milage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most of the issues im hearing are with the 2019's but obviously this is due to them having covered more miles, just hoping that the newer ones don't have this problem, Mines Sept2020 70 plate so hoping I've missed it, Ive heard of a few 20 plates having the issue, but no 70's yet, which again could be due to the milage.
I’m hoping this too.. at least the replacement heads will be better in theory if this is the case. Really didn’t expect my brake pads to outlast my head....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts