Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
From memory, I think my car is usually around 102-106c when fully warmed up
I hadn't been notified of your post so late picking it up.

I am surprised it runs so hot, especially compared to my experience with the A45s. I am guessing the gearbox temperature is nothing like this high.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That brings me back some memories, from some "old" hot hatches.
Opel Corsa 2007 1.6ltr, 189hp (facelift 192 hp). Most of them had missfires on the fourth cylinder like AMG35 . Seat fr/cupra 2009 1.4 tsi where Seat had proceed with the replacement of whole motors and/or if you were lucky they were only replacing the Turbochargers or the piston rings... not to mention about the first batch of DSG's full of updates or replacements!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am hopeful about getting my car back today. The garage has had it for a month. And fair enough they have kept me informed and seem to be very thorough but still.... not ideal...

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
I am hopeful about getting my car back today. The garage has had it for a month. And fair enough they have kept me informed and seem to be very thorough but still.... not ideal...
It would be good to get an idea of what they ended up doing whenever you get a chance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know what the A250 optimal running temperature is? I picked up my A250 last week brand new (unsure when it was manufactured) and it appears to be running close to 105-110 around town? No miss fires as mentioned but sounds a little noisy

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Does anyone know what the A250 optimal running temperature is? I picked up my A250 last week brand new (unsure when it was manufactured) and it appears to be running close to 105-110 around town? No miss fires as mentioned but sounds a little noisy

View attachment 8048
This is the oil temp rather than water temp. I will check mine next time I'm out for a drive but the oil temp will be hotter than the water once the engine is warmed up. 110c sounds fine to me though

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I was supposed to get my car back last week. They are still running what amounts to a shakedown on the new engine components. I have said I am not taking the car back until I know what exactly failed and why it won’t happen again in the same way. The dealer has is asking for this from MB tech. If I get it in writing I will post it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It would be good to get an idea of what they ended up doing whenever you get a chance.
So, new cyclinder head with all ancillaries..Values, camshafts etc. basically a new top engine. New oil filter and oil flush.
cyclinder 1 valve guide burnt to oblivion but all others totally fine.Likely there is/was a bad batch of valve guides used in assembly.

oh, and the air con doesn’t work now... no cold air.... I think they haven’t re-gassed the system.. still, annoying..

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
So, new cyclinder head with all ancillaries..Values, camshafts etc. basically a new top engine. New oil filter and oil flush.
cyclinder 1 valve guide burnt to oblivion but all others totally fine.Likely there is/was a bad batch of valve guides used in assembly.

oh, and the air con doesn’t work now... no cold air.... I think they haven’t re-gassed the system.. still, annoying..

Thanks for the information.

It sounds like the turbo problems with the original A45. It was a bad batch of something, which we couldn't quite ever pin down. But then almost all of us had to have turbo replacements.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

I've never heard of burnt valve guides, perhaps I've just lived a sheltered life 😅

Valves themselves yes in fact they used to almost be a 10,000 mile service item when I started motoring, valve stem seals yes, worn valve guides yes but how on earth do you burn out a valve guide they used to be solid steel but perhaps we are using plastic now to keep the weight down 😂 or perhaps i have missed several generations of engine development which is quite likely.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
This is the oil temp rather than water temp. I will check mine next time I'm out for a drive but the oil temp will be hotter than the water once the engine is warmed up. 110c sounds fine to me though
Well I've not been driving in town but I have been on a couple of 10 mile trips. In general once the engine is fully warm the oil temp seems to sit just over 100c most of the time, about the same as in your photo but even a short blast of acceleration leads to a fast increase of oil temp but this quickly drops back again once you are off the gas.

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts

@878 A query, what fuel have you been using in particular?
E5, E10, Regular, Super Unleaded, what brand?

·
Registered
19 Posts
@878 A query, what fuel have you been using in particular?
E5, E10, Regular, Super Unleaded, what brand?
E5 Super Unleaded, religiously.. either BP or Texaco. Never supermarket or unbranded. I actually had the fuel analyzed which cost £80 and it came back spot on. I think I put £10 of 95 octane fuel in about 6 months ago because it was that or a tow truck..

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
I'm obviously filling up on autopilot but how do we know what Tesco's 99 is for instance.

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
Thanks. Autopilot as I said but will try and notice it next time.

·
Registered
White A35 AMG, Red and Black leather interior, Premium pack
40 Posts
Slightly concerned after reading this thread, mine is a May 2019 that’s done 20k-ish miles so it seems to be in the sweet spot for failure (just my luck). I did think it was slightly jumpy at idle the other day too so I’m now quite worried. Only had it 2 weeks! Will update this thread if anything goes wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
Slightly concerned after reading this thread, mine is a May 2019 that’s done 20k-ish miles so it seems to be in the sweet spot for failure (just my luck). I did think it was slightly jumpy at idle the other day too so I’m now quite worried. Only had it 2 weeks! Will update this thread if anything goes wrong.
I wouldn't worry too much as it'll be covered by warranty and a good quality courtesy car if the worst happened. For instance, I had an S-Class when my turbo went.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts