Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
The CLA45s would certainly be a great choice. But as you mention due to the chip shortage, but also something else which we haven't been able to get a handle on the specific to the CLA, new cars are very slow in being built.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
New head,valves, plugs exhaust cam and con rods .. get her back Friday 🥴
Certainly hope every goes well from here on. When did you take the car in.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
11th august ... seems MB UK have had a torrid time
Waiting for parts
That's a seriously long time. Roll on Friday when yours returns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi guys, after reading this thread I'm a little worried about picking my A35 up this weekend that I've just bought 2nd hand.
its a 20 plate a35 premium. already paid an inflated price for it so the last thing I want is for it to have engine issues!

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Reactions: Craig70

·
Registered
3 Posts
Car has now been with the dealer for 6 days, So the process seems to be.. Misfire, change plugs and coil pack. Then if it doesn’t go away consult mercedes technical and request authority under warranty to do more tests, such as the compression test. Then borescope the offending cylinder to see if the is anything obvious, then if not break down the engine... this is the point I am at now. On the plus side the a250e is not a bad courtesy car and has saved me a fair bit on fuel...
Hi
I'm having similar issue with my a180 but it's a 13 plate so no warranty for me. Do you know how they fixed this in the end?

·
Registered
A35 AMG Premium Plus (Iridium Silver)
1 Posts
Hi
I'm having similar issue with my a180 but it's a 13 plate so no warranty for me. Do you know how they fixed this in the end?
So for anyone wondering let me tell you my story. Collected car brand new October 19 and the first time I had this issue was around 14,000 miles in November 20. I noticed a 'shuddering' when idle and a 'chugging' noise from the exhaust. Took it into my dealer and told this was completely normal. Problem persisted so I spoke direct with Mercedes Brooklands (UK HQ) and a technician advised this was not normal. Back into the dealer and once again told no issue and to monitor it. Fast forward a week or so and engine cut out in December. Had a technician come to my house and diagnose the issue as a flashing with a spark plug, plug replaced and advised to get a health check. You can guess, dealer said no issues. Arrived back to work from the dealer and car had to be recovered as it died (23rd Dec). They had the car and 'fixed' the cylinder issue and returned the car to me 30th December. On the way home the car was shuddering and felt like a cylinder misfire. Just as I pulled up on my drive, the car died. Recovered again and spent 6 weeks with dealer waiting for new cylinder head and exhaust valve (apprently). I wasn't getting much information from the dealer on what was wrong and complained to AMG direct. They were superb, gave me daily updates and explanations and opened an investigation, along with giving me a gesture of goodwill. Car returned and problem solved.... fast forward again to Nov 21 (30,000 miles) and the shuddering and chugging are back. Booked into dealer and I have infrormed them this is the exact same issue as before. I have raised concerns with them that this is becomming an annual occurance and parts should last longer than circa 15,000 mile intervals.

I'll let you all know how I get on but I can tell you that although this car is superb, I've cancelled my 45S order and the 35 is definitely going this year... before the warranty runs out!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep us posted if they ever divulge the root cause.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
So for anyone wondering let me tell you my story. Collected car brand new October 19 and the first time I had this issue was around 14,000 miles in November 20. I noticed a 'shuddering' when idle and a 'chugging' noise from the exhaust. Took it into my dealer and told this was completely normal. Problem persisted so I spoke direct with Mercedes Brooklands (UK HQ) and a technician advised this was not normal. Back into the dealer and once again told no issue and to monitor it. Fast forward a week or so and engine cut out in December. Had a technician come to my house and diagnose the issue as a flashing with a spark plug, plug replaced and advised to get a health check. You can guess, dealer said no issues. Arrived back to work from the dealer and car had to be recovered as it died (23rd Dec). They had the car and 'fixed' the cylinder issue and returned the car to me 30th December. On the way home the car was shuddering and felt like a cylinder misfire. Just as I pulled up on my drive, the car died. Recovered again and spent 6 weeks with dealer waiting for new cylinder head and exhaust valve (apprently). I wasn't getting much information from the dealer on what was wrong and complained to AMG direct. They were superb, gave me daily updates and explanations and opened an investigation, along with giving me a gesture of goodwill. Car returned and problem solved.... fast forward again to Nov 21 (30,000 miles) and the shuddering and chugging are back. Booked into dealer and I have infrormed them this is the exact same issue as before. I have raised concerns with them that this is becomming an annual occurance and parts should last longer than circa 15,000 mile intervals.

I'll let you all know how I get on but I can tell you that although this car is superb, I've cancelled my 45S order and the 35 is definitely going this year... before the warranty runs out!
Sorry to hear of your engine problems. I don't want to tempt fate but hopefully the A45s engine is not the same. Mine just feels as though it's still getting continually better 🤞 🤞🤞

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello my friends,
I am Jose from Portugal, currently own an A250 I imported 2 months ago from a German authorised dealer, glad i got the Junge Sterne 2 years warranty (or so I hope) because last Friday engine light came on. I had been noticing that car would vibrate at idle up to 1500 rpm and I honestly thought that it was normal, but after reading this and given the ‘replace cylinder head’ diagnostic I was mindblown!
Car is from October 2018, and has around 31.000 kms (20.000 miles). They have not given me yet an exact explanation on what has gone wrong specifically in the cylinder head, but I sure am trully curious as it should not happen, especially on a brand like Mercedes.
Anyway, this is just to say I am another victim, maybe if all victims show up, Mercedes will do something about it.

PS: Before letting them know I had Junge Sterne warranty they tried Goodwill but was rejected… am still waiting for the warranty to aproove the repair, lets hope there are no problems.

k regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another a35 cylinder head replaced.
Car on 69 plate and luckily under warranty.
Engine warning light just came on and managed to limp home.
Taken to main dealers and they could not give me an answer as to why it had failed. Tried to blame me not putting V power in! I always use premium fuel from Tesco/sainsburys.

This has put me off Mercs tbh ☹

·
Registered
87 Posts
The poll indicates that 90% have not had any engine issues A35 Engine Cylinder Head Problem Poll
Joining this one late! God I hope I'm in that 90%!!

Mines an end of Sept 19' car but with only 3500miles so have some time to go before I get anywhere near average for the age. But that in itself is my issue as I'll probably be out of warranty by the time I get there 😱 Fingers crossed 🤞

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another a35 cylinder head replaced.
Car on 69 plate and luckily under warranty.
Engine warning light just came on and managed to limp home.
Taken to main dealers and they could not give me an answer as to why it had failed. Tried to blame me not putting V power in! I always use premium fuel from Tesco/sainsburys.

This has put me off Mercs tbh ☹
What was the mileage on yours when engine light came on?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Vibrations from the car are normal, like all the MB cars with the the same drivetrain. I've driven the A, cla, gla, glb in various trims and they all have some sort of vibration on idle. The amg variants are amplified a bit more with stiffer chassis tuning. Like many, I got a CEL 2 months ago around 6-7k kms, where the car was idling very rough from a cold engine start out of the garage. Immediately turned it off and back on, CEL was gone. Took it to the dealership and it was diagnosed with just one misfire instance and nothing else, everything else looked normal so I was told to monitor and bring back but it hasn't happened again. Apparently, It is also not uncommon for the CEL to come on with Mercs randomly, there are just so many sensors! The car has been stellar so far and I plan on getting extended warranty soon just in case as I do love it, I hope everything will be fine and if there is indeed an issue, let's hope MB will rectify the root issues with the replacement parts so it won't happen again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 19 plate A35 17,000 miles. Similar issues to being described. Had shuddering on start up, particularly cold with an intermittent engine warning light. Would go away after a bit of a drive. I took it into the dealer and they ran the normal tests, checked the coils and compression tests etc. diagnosed the misfiring cylinder as mentioned above and said they would order a new cylinder head. Been at the dealer 6 weeks today and was told they are still awaiting the cylinder head, must be significant supply issues. Frustrating but given an A200d as a courtesy.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Got a 19 plate A35 17,000 miles. Similar issues to being described. Had shuddering on start up, particularly cold with an intermittent engine warning light. Would go away after a bit of a drive. I took it into the dealer and they ran the normal tests, checked the coils and compression tests etc. diagnosed the misfiring cylinder as mentioned above and said they would order a new cylinder head. Been at the dealer 6 weeks today and was told they are still awaiting the cylinder head, must be significant supply issues. Frustrating but given an A200d as a courtesy.
Welcome to the forum.

It seems seriously short sighted of MB just to let this carry on. I'm guessing the latest A35 engines will have had some sort of modification and they have calculated the cost benefit isn't worth their while migrating the same modification to existing models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It seems seriously short sighted of MB just to let this carry on. I'm guessing the latest A35 engines will have had some sort of modification and they have calculated the cost benefit isn't worth their while migrating the same modification to existing models.
I'm guessing from a purely cost point of view it's not worth a recall.

From the survey done by @veeeight, I think he said 90% have no issues and as this isn't a safety concern, MB will almost certainly leave it to warranty.

I did ask the question in a separate (new) thread, and you might know the answer @Forrester. Can we extend our warranty with MB and how much is it?

101 - 120 of 126 Posts