Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

AMG A35 - New Cylinder Head Please

143K views 464 replies 92 participants last post by  Forrester 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to the Mercedes A Class community but have a little story for you all.
I recently purchased a 6 month old AMG A35 from a main dealer. Had a few months and have loved it up until last weekend when engine light came on. Called Merc who sent out technician. Diagnosed coil pack and fitted new. Next day having driven a few miles without issue engine light came back on and same 3 cylinder rough running engine was back. Car went in to main dealer who advised a valve problem (no further info on this yet) New head now being fitted. Anyone else had this issue?

#38 ·
I suppose now that I know the valve guides had been compromised I can see why the oil temp went up. There was likely enough blow by through the ruined guide channel to affect oil temp. Oil is likely to be ruined now too but I would expect that if you replace a head you would need fresh oil since all fluids are likely to have been drained during the strip down.

#40 ·
Is it possible to direct them to this forum and perhaps they can fill in the poll which might get MB to take remedial action sooner rather than later.

#42 ·
That brings me back some memories, from some "old" hot hatches.
Opel Corsa 2007 1.6ltr, 189hp (facelift 192 hp). Most of them had missfires on the fourth cylinder like AMG35 . Seat fr/cupra 2009 1.4 tsi where Seat had proceed with the replacement of whole motors and/or if you were lucky they were only replacing the Turbochargers or the piston rings... not to mention about the first batch of DSG's full of updates or replacements!

#44 ·
It would be good to get an idea of what they ended up doing whenever you get a chance.

#55 ·
I'm obviously filling up on autopilot but how do we know what Tesco's 99 is for instance.

#71 ·
It’s clearly labelled on the pump nozzle!!!
Thanks. Autopilot as I said but will try and notice it next time.

Introduction of E10 from Sept 2021 in the UK.

Modern cars (should) run OK, pre-2000 cars will almost certainly have a problem. As will lawn mowers, generators, chainsaws etc.

Some anecdotal evidence that E10 can cause hotter running (and in some cases, propensity for pre-ignition), so any weakness in valves, valve seats, guides etc., may lead to premature failure......

What is E10 fuel and how will it affect you? | RAC Drive

E10 petrol - what is it and how could it affect you?

New E10 petrol poses threat to classic cars | Footman James

#57 ·
Thanks. Autopilot as I said but will try and notice it next time.

#59 ·
Slightly concerned after reading this thread, mine is a May 2019 that’s done 20k-ish miles so it seems to be in the sweet spot for failure (just my luck). I did think it was slightly jumpy at idle the other day too so I’m now quite worried. Only had it 2 weeks! Will update this thread if anything goes wrong.

#60 ·
I wouldn't worry too much as it'll be covered by warranty and a good quality courtesy car if the worst happened. For instance, I had an S-Class when my turbo went.

#62 ·
I also had an SLK when a service over ran for the weekend.

Reactions: DRoy1
#67 ·
All cars have issues I wouldn’t judge it based on this. And tbf since covid is a worldwide problem it is affecting lead times, and a month seems to be about right based on other replies 🤷🏼‍♂️ Hopefully you’ve got a nice courtesy car

#77 ·
Hey, can anyone link the fb group that these are being posted in? There are a few I searched and not sure which. Thanks!

#85 ·
I have a bad feeling this may happen to mine soon, tonight I started the car up was already pre warmed from a drive around 3 hours ago, anyway the car was quite jerky in idle, could feel it through the seats etc like a vibration and feeling like it was going to stall also noticed revs were fluctuating and lower idle than usual. However it drove fine and then seemed to vanish after a drive.... Can anyone confirm they had this before they had the fault?