Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or found solution? Practically straight out of the dealership, the driver side high performance seat makes unacceptable and annoying creaking noises over any road imperfections which torque or twist the main car body. I THINK if have it narrowed down to somewhere around/in all the plastic backing on the seat shell. Moving my body around vigorously doesn’t really evoke the sound. It is mostly linked to the bumps and body twisting on the road. **** ANNOYING for a brand new car let alone one in this price bracket. Traded a Porsche for it which had very high build quality. Driving a base model Audi A3 Sportback while waiting for the delivery and it has 5000 km on it and no rattles or creaks at all. From what I can read on this forum it seems the build quality of the A45/A45S/A35 seems to be hit or miss which really surprises me and wasn’t something I even considered before purchasing the car! Anyone found any solutions or ideas? I will of course have the dealer try to resolve it...but I can just picture 5+ visits with no solution or resolution for such types of niggling annoyances.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
I had creaking from my previous A45 driver's seat. What solved it for me was using WD40, with the extender red straw, in all the cracks and crevices in and around the seat. My seat creaked when I lent against the seat padding with my thighs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had creaking from my previous A45 driver's seat. What solved it for me was using WD40, with the extender red straw, in all the cracks and crevices in and around the seat. My seat creaked when I lent against the seat padding with my thighs.
Thanks for the ideas Forrester. I have a can of silicone lubricant and plan to do the same. I am giving it a little while longer to “settle in” as it is basically brand new (only 200km so far). Regardless, I still feel it shouldn’t be this noisy straight out of the dealer/factory. May I inquire....did you use the lubricant even in the joints all along the plastic backing? (There are multiple amount the various plastic design pieces)? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Personally in the UK I would take the car straight back to the dealer to fix as it's brand new. But as my A45 was outside warranty it was down to me. Yes on the original A45 you could get the red straw into the gap at the back of the seat and I sprayed the WD40 there. But that car had no electrics there so I would just warn about that.

Reactions: AMGSingapore

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
I see now from your other post why you can’t take it back to the dealer all way in Bristol. But any local dealer should be responsible to fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the ideas Forrester. I have a can of silicone lubricant and plan to do the same. I am giving it a little while longer to “settle in” as it is basically brand new (only 200km so far). Regardless, I still feel it shouldn’t be this noisy straight out of the dealer/factory. May I inquire....did you use the lubricant even in the joints all along the plastic backing? (There are multiple amount the various plastic design pieces)? Thanks.
I am a CLA45 owner with the AMG performance seats and I have the same exact issue with the plastic on the back of the seat creaking when driving over bumps and cornering. It occurs on the driver's seat, but not the passenger seat. I only have 500 miles on the car and it has been present from day one.

Were you able to pinpoint and resolve the issue?

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
I am a CLA45 owner with the AMG performance seats and I have the same exact issue with the plastic on the back of the seat creaking when driving over bumps and cornering. It occurs on the driver's seat, but not the passenger seat. I only have 500 miles on the car and it has been present from day one.

As I mentioned to @AMGSingapore I used WD40, using the plastic straw, on my previous A45 when I had creaky seats.

·
Super Moderator
1,885 Posts
Thanks @Forrester for the suggestion. I would prefer not to spray the WD40 into the gaps and have it drip onto the floor, but may end up doing this as a last resort.
maybe try a silicone spay. Same affect, less drippy and smelly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Unfortunately I have not been able to pinpoint it. Multiple creaks and rattles still around the seat and the B-Pillar. I have simply resolved myself that the build quality is crap and you can't do much about it short of tearing everything apart and greasing or oiling everything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WD40 isn’t the approved way ;)

Use the appropriate DuPont Krytox (very expensive).
I have tried this. Didn't work for me past about 7 days. Creaks are back after that. And you are right. The stuff is expensive and the tube is very small! For the amount of creaks and rattles on this car...I would need to order a commercial drum to resolve it! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh dear! The rubbing must be bad for it not to be solved with the magic Krytox!
Of course it could also be that I am just not able to pinpoint the exact location of the rubbing. It's very difficult to do - and time consuming. I may have another go at it again in the near future but currently I feel I have devoted enough exasperating time to it for now! The bigger issue now is every time I go over a more sharp bump which kicks up the back end of the car, I get a shuddering rattle, which I think I have pinpointed to the rear spoiler vibrating. But of course it is not loose...so its likely somewhere in the connection or the sound dampening. Makes the same noise when you slam the trunk shut. Lots of fun!

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Yep, can be very difficult to pinpoint the source of the creak, especially with leather.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Of course it could also be that I am just not able to pinpoint the exact location of the rubbing. It's very difficult to do - and time consuming. I may have another go at it again in the near future but currently I feel I have devoted enough exasperating time to it for now! The bigger issue now is every time I go over a more sharp bump which kicks up the back end of the car, I get a shuddering rattle, which I think I have pinpointed to the rear spoiler vibrating. But of course it is not loose...so its likely somewhere in the connection or the sound dampening. Makes the same noise when you slam the trunk shut. Lots of fun!
I'm surprised at your ongoing bad luck with your A45s. I don't want to tempt fate but mine has been faultless other than the start/stop which the garage says is the way it's meant to be.

Reactions: AMGSingapore

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
This is the official M-B Krytox, cheap (not)

Also suitable for the sunroof seals.

Mercedes-Benz care
Special lubricant / fluid
A0009893660
Eliminates friction noises in the interior
reduces friction and eliminates squeaking, creaking and rubbing noises
Silicone free
Colorless and odorless

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
17 Posts
My seats creaked at the driver side the very first day I collected the car from the dealer, after highlighting this I waited at the lounge for about 20 minutes I am not sure what did they do but after that the creaking is gone and it has been 5 months now.

Now there is another creaking noise that occurs occasionally from the driver seat, which is from the back seat plastic. I ordered a carbon fiber cover on top of it and it seems to reduced it a lot. I couldn't really hear it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
My seats creaked at the driver side the very first day I collected the car from the dealer, after highlighting this I waited at the lounge for about 20 minutes I am not sure what did they do but after that the creaking is gone and it has been 5 months now.

Now there is another creaking noise that occurs occasionally from the driver seat, which is from the back seat plastic. I ordered a carbon fiber cover on top of it and it seems to reduced it a lot. I couldn't really hear it anymore.
They probably used WD40 or similar lubricant on it and will do the same again for the latest creaking. It worked for my A45.

·
Registered
208 Posts
No creaks here. I wonder if they took care of it before delivery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts