Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes launched the A45s here in our country yesterday, and I noticed that our cars will not come with the AMG Real Performance Sound and is missing the extra "exhaust button" near the palm rest. For those who have this option in your car, is this one of those "must have" options like how the AMG performance exhaust option was on AMG cars?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It depends on what your exhaust sounds like as it is. If it's unmuffled, unlike the versions we are getting in Europe, as the previous A45 was then you won't need the piped sound. And as you will have noticed a number of us have tried turning the sound off. Personally I wouldn't get it but I am getting addicted to the machine gun sound at around 6000 rpm.

Reactions: vodka

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mercedes launched the A45s here in our country yesterday, and I noticed that our cars will not come with the AMG Real Performance Sound and is missing the extra "exhaust button" near the palm rest. For those who have this option in your car, is this one of those "must have" options like how the AMG performance exhaust option was on AMG cars?
My A45S has AMG Performance sound feature and if I switch it off in Sport + or Race mode, it not only turns off the sending sound inside the cabin but pops & bangs are subdued as well.
If AMG Performance sound is not available in your country then there's nothing much you can do.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Are the exhaust valves closed by turning off the sound button. Are the valves not activated purely by moving to S, S+ or race.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Some of us are at work, some of us have to keep working to help revive the economy, you know :p

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Some of us are at work, some of us have to keep working to help revive the economy, you know :p
As I said yesterday AI.

On the subject in hand I have around 1400 miles under the wheels of my A45s and on one of those rare occasions being on my own in the car I gave it a good thrashing for a spell in S+ and I think the exhaust note is getting louder and more tuneful.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Over here the exhaust button makes a noticeable difference. You get both louder and deeper tone and to give you an example of how much difference it makes, when I drive over to a friend to pick them up, they ask me to turn on the exhaust so that they'll know I'm there. They always come out without a phone call. If it's off then more likely than not they won't hear me. At first I used to forget to turn it on especially when it was only a couple minutes drive, but ever since I realized how much better it sounds, it's the second button I press right after disabling stop/start. The difference is a lot more noticeable when driving slow, like in residential areas. Basically that's where the exhaust button is meant to be used. It's not loud enough to wake your neighbors, but enough to put a smile on your face. That said, I think a little extra (real) sound wouldn't hurt. For now I'm enjoying the fact that the car is still rather quiet, it's one of the things I was looking forward to while taking a short break from tuning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Over here the exhaust button makes a noticeable difference. You get both louder and deeper tone and to give you an example of how much difference it makes, when I drive over to a friend to pick them up, they ask me to turn on the exhaust so that they'll know I'm there. They always come out without a phone call. If it's off then more likely than not they won't hear me. At first I used to forget to turn it on especially when it was only a couple minutes drive, but ever since I realized how much better it sounds, it's the second button I press right after disabling stop/start. The difference is a lot more noticeable when driving slow, like in residential areas. Basically that's where the exhaust button is meant to be used. It's not loud enough to wake your neighbors, but enough to put a smile on your face. That said, I think a little extra (real) sound wouldn't hurt. For now I'm enjoying the fact that the car is still rather quiet, it's one of the things I was looking forward to while taking a short break from tuning.
One of the enjoyable things about an AMG is the sound it makes and as this will be my first AMG, I am feeling quite bummed that we didn't get the nifty exhaust button spec'ed in our W177 A45s here. It's not too clear if in the W177 A45s, the exhaust button actually opens up the exhaust flaps or it's there to just activate the AMG Real Sound feature.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I still don't know the answer. Is emotion start purely a fake sound or does it pop and bang outside the cabin? Even opening the windows I still can't be sure. I need someone else to start the car for me while I'm outside. Any of you guys know if it's real.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Is it also a similar volume to inside?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's not too clear if in the W177 A45s, the exhaust button actually opens up the exhaust flaps or it's there to just activate the AMG Real Sound feature.
The button definitely opens the physical flap in the left exhaust pipe--at least it does on my UK spec A45S++

Chris.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I still don't know the answer. Is emotion start purely a fake sound or does it pop and bang outside the cabin? Even opening the windows I still can't be sure. I need someone else to start the car for me while I'm outside. Any of you guys know if it's real.
It is real.
Watch this from 13m 45 seconds

·
Registered
316 Posts
the best way to make the car bang the best is when doing emotion start is hold your finger on the button on steering wheel for selecting individual mode (which I have set everything to race mode )
and hold gear changer and press start button and the bang is a lot louder try it out

it also makes the sound outside also I always take it under a bridge for at least 400 yards long
but it’s very weak sound needs Front down pipe and middle pipe

I was taking my 45S and the wife was in the A45 today and on the motorway the difference in the two cars is unbelievable I could let her gun it first and I still could reel her in so quick and go past so easily

so looking forward to when the exhausts all start coMingg up for sale !
anybody purchase yet

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a thought from the old A45, would it still be possible to disconnect the plug on the exhaust valve and get an improved sound at all??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey mate, please listen to this

It's the Emotion start feature on A45S filmed outside of the vehicle, just to clear your doubt :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts