Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the "Front right malfunction. Consult workshop" warning for the restraint system pop up on Tuesday afternoon on my 10-month old A200. We weren't far from the Mercedes dealer, so dropped by to get it looked at. However, I was asked to complete a form with the details, and they would get back to me. The receptionist showed it to a nearby colleague, he didn't identify himself, and he asked if I we could leave it for the day on Wednesday. I couldn't without a courtesy car, and they stated that all courtesy cars were booked for the next week and a half, so they would call me instead.

No call yesterday - surprise - so I decided to use the Mercedes Me button this morning while parked up at work. Call went straight through to breakdowns, and it was explained to me that they could have it collected and swopped with a courtesy car, this would take a couple of hours, or I could drive it to the dealer, which was 10 minutes away. I explained that I tried that on Tuesday, but the dealer didn't seem keen to help. Mercedes Me person confirmed they raised a breakdown ticket, and if I had any issues this should move things along. Back to the dealer I went, and the receptionist completed another form for me ("weren't you here a few days ago?"...) I left the car with the dealer at 09.30, and back to a busy day at work.

Heard nothing, and after calling the dealer at 1.30 to check on progress, I was told the car wasn't yet booked in and nobody had looked at it. I called Mercedes breakdown to check if I could organise a courtesy car because the repair was likely to take longer, but they said this could only be done when they were asked to do so by the dealer. The Me app warned me at 15.30 that the car was unlocked, with the windows open, so obviously somebody was looking at it. Called the dealer again at 17.15 to check on progress, and was provided with the name of the person who would look after me, but he had left for the day, and left no notes on the file with what he had done or what was wrong. Would it be OK if he called first thing tomorrow. Even though I explained I was at work, with no car, no apologies or acknowledgement was given ("yes, I understand" was all I got). Luckily my partner was able to pick me up and drive me home, but I am stunned about this treatment.

Bit of a rant, but I am frustrated that a "premium brand" like Mercedes would treat customers like this. No apologies or offer to help that I am left without a car. I had a new BMW 1-series for 3 years, and their service team was always very helpful, friendly and never stuck up. Even though it was a car at the bottom tier of their range. This was probably the worst experience I have ever had any dealership, and I've had experience with Fords, VWs and the aforementioned BMW. Lets see what happens tomorrow and that they make up for their behaviour today.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I feel for you. This is a terrible way for them to treat you. What if your partner wasn't in a position to pick you up from work? You'd have been stranded and all along it seems you've had to do all the chasing and still provided with little information. Hopefully the dealership will fix your car, but I encourage you to write a strong letter of complaint to both the dealership and MB UK. I'm not sure you'll get any direction action out of this, but the more people that don't just accept this treatment lying down, the more likely they are to eventually up their game. And if not, they'll pay in the longer run...

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
its always a lucky dip with dealerships, my local MB dealer was absolutely fantastic when i had the 45 yet only 1 mile down the road at the BMW dealer I am having a fookin nightmare trying to get a very simple niggle sorted out and wont be using them again if BM is my next choice of car, as above id be writing to MB UK and asking for an explanation of how their "system" let you down so badly

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support & advice folks, much appreciated. No call this morning, so I called the dealer at 9: “someone will get back to you this morning, but it is currently a very time for us”. And the wait continues...

I will definitely write to MB UK, and log a complaint with the dealer, but want to see how this plays out this morning. I probably won’t return to this dealer for servicing either, but go further down the road for the next MB dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a very similar issue with my dealer over the same thing, accept they said it would be a month till they could book me in to look at it, after asking about if its safe to drive as its a warning about the restraint system they said best not to. After displaying my dissatisfaction they gave me the best advice and if anything like this happens to you again this is what to do.

Go to the car press the Mercedes me button, tell them you have a restraint warning message.

Their reply to me was....

Very sorry sir we will have a recovery truck at your location (car was sat on my home driveway, which they knew) within 2 hours, to take the car to a dealership, we will also have a courtesy car at your location within the same time frame.

The car went to the exact same dealer that couldn't fit me in for a month and was rectified in 2 days.

As the dealer is only around the corner we just drove it to them and dropped it off, a hire company called us and delivered a c class 1 hr later. When the car was repaired we just took the hire car to the dealership, dropped it off there and took our car back. The only cost to us was a £50 deposit on the hire car incase we trashed it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the car back. I received a call back from the dealer at 11, the first from them since this started, explaining that they did something to the SRS module, and it would be taken out for a test drive to make sure the message didn’t come back. Had to call myself again at 3 to ask if it was fixed. Then had to fork out some of my own cash for an Uber back to the dealer.

I completely agree with Scotty001 - have Mercedes Breakdown pick up the car via the Me button and swop with a loaner. That way you’re still mobile and if it takes a bit longer it doesn’t matter. I think they give a car for up to 3 working days.

Lesson learned!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Top advice guys. Hopefully I won't need to heed it, but if I do, the Mercedes Me button is going to be pushed more quickly than Trump can push the big red button ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My new A200d amg premium plus arrived at the dealer 16th of april and got pdi 19th and had a call from salesman saying there's a noise from the gearbox, was long easter weekend so couldn't get anything from Mercedes till Tuesday. they wanted a sample of oil from gearbox and was duly done then they wanted a recording of noise, they asked two times for clips and now today they've came back saying to take gearbox out and send to germany and put replacement in when it arrives.
The car has been sitting all this time and its taxed since april and i drove it one sunday around the building to hear the sound, i've said i don't want this car and they've ordered a replacement which is showing delivery july 5th.
Mercedes has been dreadful with this and its taken the excitement out of getting a new car, my current A200d has been the best car I've ever owned but even if i'd accepted this car i'd always be listening for any noise.
I spoke with mercedes uk and they were going to get back to me about the car and have heard nothing, once new gearbox is fitted i can have a test drive if i want as I've not driven the new 2.0d 8 speed auto but will see how long it takes to get fixed.
Not a happy experience from start to now and beyond.

Willie

·
Registered
125 Posts
We went with a colleague to car dealers last December. We have 10% discount new Mercedes Benz cars and that read our contract. But some dealer don't give that. One dealer lost 2 costumers, becauce of that he lost a lot provisions. My car cost 55K€ and friends 120K€. We just go next booth in dealer shop and that dealer give us discount The previous seller would be annoyed especially when he heard all the conversations with the new seller

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lately I decided I was going for an A220 AMG. Called in to one dealership, spoke to the girl at the desk and asked if anyone was available. She went and spoke to four guys stood around nattering and I could see her point over to me. They carried on talking and laughing for 20 minutes, whereupon I gave up and left.

Then tried a second dealership. Emailed them to arrange a test drive, nothing. Called up and made an appointment to test drive the car. On arrival, I waited, nobody was quite sure who was supposed to be dealing with me. When I eventually got to speak to someone, I was told the 1.8 diesel was waiting outside ‘but it’ll feel the same’. After pointing out that I had driven a fair distance and a diesel was nothing like the same, he said someone had called me to let me know a car wasn’t available. Totally untrue.

I’ve given up. Never experienced anything like this with Audi or BMW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts