Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Can any one help, i have searched the forum and have come across a few posts regarding this but i am still struggling.

My car is a October 2015 AMG Line, facelift model but it does not have apple car play.

It has two USB Slots and I am reading conflicting information and was wondering whether anyone else is in a similar position and has managed to activate it.

Some are saying if it is facelift it can be activated by obd and some are saying it needs to be December onwards.

On the build sheet for my car it says AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION CAPABLE NTG5.

I have asked Mercedes and they have not been any help, they have sent me a link where you can purchase apple car play activation but it is for the W177.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Jamiel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry I don't know when they applied it but on my A180 (2017) as you look at the USB sockets when sat in the driving seat it's the one on the right that does Carplay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul

Thanks, It has the USB slot you are talking about.

Apple car does not appear on the build sheet so it does not come with Car play out of the factory but I understand that there is a possibility that it can be activated by the OBD2 tool.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Moss

Yes that is what people on the threads have been talking about.

I am not sure whether it will work on my car because its October 2015 but it is the facelift W176.

I guess at that price it may be worth a punt but i wanted to see whether anyone was in a similar position and was successful activating it.

Some places say NTG5 is sufficient and some say you need NTG 5.1

·
Registered
440 Posts
On my old W176 facelift, which also was build October 2015 I used the same dongle. Which was then priced at 100Quid, and it worked flawlessly. Just confirm that you have the USB-Icon and that your car is listed on the spec-sheet. Only on my car Android Auto didn't work or my android phone wasn't supported.

Installation is very very easy and takes mostly 10minutes.
Start Audio 20/Comand (Just turn the key, but don't start the engine)
Then plug-in the OBD module
Something will pop-up on the screen station DIAG
>System reboot
Remove OBS
Enjoy Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my old W176 facelift, which also was build October 2015 I used the same dongle. Which was then priced at 100Quid, and it worked flawlessly. Just confirm that you have the USB-Icon and that your car is listed on the spec-sheet. Only on my car Android Auto didn't work or my android phone wasn't supported.

Installation is very very easy and takes mostly 10minutes.
Start Audio 20/Comand (Just turn the key, but don't start the engine)
Then plug-in the OBD module
Something will pop-up on the screen station DIAG
>System reboot
Remove OBS
Enjoy Apple Carplay and Android Auto.
Hi there

Thanks for the response, so there is a glimmer of hope it can be activated by the OBD2 tool.

My car does have the USB slot for car play, regarding the second part, what do you mean by "that your car is listed on the spec-sheet"?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi I had problems with the auto android not being installed.Mine was Aug 2016 build with apple/android play on the build sheet but wasnt physically activated on the car. Had to wait several months & alot of chasing for it to be finally installed through a software update. I was was led to believe cars built jun 2016 onwards would have apple/android but approx the 1st 3months of the face lifted cars had to be done through software upgrade and there after came from factory as standard. I think if it is not on the build sheet then a simple update would not work unfortunately.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi there

Thanks for the response, so there is a glimmer of hope it can be activated by the OBD2 tool.

My car does have the USB slot for car play, regarding the second part, what do you mean by "that your car is listed on the spec-sheet"?
I meant the supported list of the OBD device. Some support only one car and some are for A to E-class. Also don't get one that's single use, cause that's a waste of money. I rather spend the 5quid more for unlimited tries then one that locks after one activation.

Don't mean to scare you away from the OBD way, it's safe and I've been advertising it as an service her in my country. Never had any problems, even when getting a service update from Mercedes.

Not required but;
If you want it writing on your datasheet/VIN then its sometimes possible to get it done by your dealer. Just show them you have it enabled and they might add it in the database. This is only useful if you get regular updates for you infotainment system from your dealer. Can't guarantee that they will do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Jamie,

Hopefully this can help shed a bit of light on your situation.

Apple Carplay can be activated on facelift models via the OBD devices you previously mentioned, I did this for my 16 plate A220D.

The reason they say it only works for December 2015 onwards models, is because the devices only work with A class models that have the NTG5.1 firmware as opposed to NTG5.

NTG5.1 started to come as standard in A class models that were manufactured from December 2015 onwards.

In order for you to activate it, providing the car is still in warranty, if you take it into Mercedes and ask them to update the firmware to NTG5.1 for you, you can then activate carplay yourself through the OBD.

This definitely works as I've done it for a few people on here now with 15 plate A classes after they've had the firmware updated.

hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi I had problems with the auto android not being installed.Mine was Aug 2016 build with apple/android play on the build sheet but wasnt physically activated on the car. Had to wait several months & alot of chasing for it to be finally installed through a software update. I was was led to believe cars built jun 2016 onwards would have apple/android but approx the 1st 3months of the face lifted cars had to be done through software upgrade and there after came from factory as standard. I think if it is not on the build sheet then a simple update would not work unfortunately.
Thanks Huntol01

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Jamie,

Hopefully this can help shed a bit of light on your situation.

Apple Carplay can be activated on facelift models via the OBD devices you previously mentioned, I did this for my 16 plate A220D.

The reason they say it only works for December 2015 onwards models, is because the devices only work with A class models that have the NTG5.1 firmware as opposed to NTG5.

NTG5.1 started to come as standard in A class models that were manufactured from December 2015 onwards.

In order for you to activate it, providing the car is still in warranty, if you take it into Mercedes and ask them to update the firmware to NTG5.1 for you, you can then activate carplay yourself through the OBD.

This definitely works as I've done it for a few people on here now with 15 plate A classes after they've had the firmware updated.

hope this helps
Hi Brad

That is very helpful, I will contact Mercedes to see if they can update the firmware and then go from there!

·
Registered
25 Posts
HI Jamie

I have a DEC 2016 A160 AMG LINE and apple play works fine in mine using the right USB. My Son has the A250 AMG LINE 2013 and works fine in his as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HI Jamie

I have a DEC 2016 A160 AMG LINE and apple play works fine in mine using the right USB. My Son has the A250 AMG LINE 2013 and works fine in his as well.
Hi Rabg

I have tried a genuine cable and it does not work, it will play music and the album cover appears but apple car play does not activate.

When I was able to locate the build sheet it was not on there so I am looking to see if i can get it installed now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi All,

I have 18 plate A200 AMG Line, on the option sheet i can`t see any AppleCarPlay support. Can anyone help me activate it ? I called Mercedes and they say if the car didn`t come with it then i cannot do it.I believe that`s b****it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi All,

I have 18 plate A200 AMG Line, on the option sheet i can`t see any AppleCarPlay support. Can anyone help me activate it ? I called Mercedes and they say if the car didn`t come with it then i cannot do it.I believe that`s b****it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi DMG

Try contacting mufc_1988 he sorted mine out for me but I have the w176.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts