Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

Apple CarPlay & Android Auto - How do I get it

92K views 162 replies 58 participants last post by  undefeated 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone, I purchased the A200 on the launched weekend during August 2018. The salesman said there would be CarPlay as standard. But I have just found out that the A200 does not have CarPlay at all. There were many articles written during that time that say that CarPlay was a standard feature. I am now arguing the Mercedes that they have misrepresented this feature. Is there anyone else out there who purchased or have information on this? Thank you.

#3 ·
If you have the W177 (201:cool: model CarPlay is not standard. As Kallzeh says, you need either to have bought the Advanced Connectivity Pack (factory order only) OR you can purchase as a download via the Mercedes Me store. Note if you want to do the latter this only works with cars manufactured from September 2018 onwards or after a software update done at a dealer.

#4 ·
Hi. As far as i know. CarPlay is optional and fitted from factory (wireless charger, NFC door handle etc). if you buy the the CarPlay through MB portal then you will not get the wireless charging, NFC car unlock futures. They will simply ulnock the software. Also to be noted when you get the CarPlay (many reported), you will not have full 10" display. You will only get 7" of your phone screen and apps.

#5 ·
Hi there.

I think I have all prerequisites for Smartphone integration for Carplay and Android Auto.
I have 10 inch displays, extended MBUX or so, CONNECT 20.

What else do I need to get Carplay/AAuto working? Can this be enabled via software or do I need some specific hardware for this to work?

Thanks!

#6 ·
I can only speak for android auto.
If you have the smartphone integration package, you need to download the android auto app from the web onto your phone (if its android).
When you connect your phone to your car using a USB cable, for the first time, while the car is stationary, you will get instructions to follow.
After that its plug and play.

#7 ·
If you got the smartphone integration from factory.
Then all you need to do is plug-in your Iphone/Android phone and select Android Auto/Carplay from the services/app menu on the MBUX-system.

If you don't get the smartphone integration package, then you have to manually buy it from the ME-Store. For a few hundred quid, this does require atleast FU1. (Vehicles from 03/19 already have it)

#9 ·
Well from the info I can gather. It looks like you're trying to get the smartphone integration to work.
However you don't have it, so that requires you to go to your dealer. And update your MBUX software to FU2 (V6?)

#11 ·
Buy it from the Me-Store. Keep in mind that it's only 7" wide, so it looks weird imo.
Also your car need atleast firmware version FU1. (If you don't have it, your dealer can upgrade the software)

#16 ·
ACP would look better full screen on the 10" screen, but to be honest, it doesn't look terrible as it is IMO. Fingers crossed we get full screen in a FU3 or 4 at some point...

#17 ·
Just has my W177 July 2018 build updated at the dealer to FU2. I can now see the store option in MBUX but I can’t see how to set up or buy the CarPlay option. MBUX says I have already purchased all available services for my car. Any ideas what I need to do to activate CarPlay?

#24 ·
I’m trying to do that but I get this message (No services are currently available for ordering in your vehicle) in the Mercedes Me Portal. No option to buy Car Play. I definitely have the Fresh Up 2 update as I can see the software version in the system menu on my Mbux - apilevel/ntg6_fup2/063.

Anyone else had an issue getting Car Play after having FUP2 installed?

#29 ·
This scares the shoot out of me... I was hoping to get this sorted with only a FU2 update.
What you need now is a software or a hardware thing?
Do you know if they also updated other stuff like maps or the gear box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an A200 from June 2018.
If you book it in for FU2 you can have the additional software update for the smartphone integration done at the same time. So you might have better look than I did! Remember to explain you need the additional smartphone integration for Car Play because you have a mid 2018 model and the dealer should understand but get them to speak to Mercedes Me customer support if they need any help.

#31 ·
Good news! I finally have Apple Car Play working. Looks like Mercedes Me customer Support gave me some wrong information!

I checked the in car store today and saw ‘smart phone integration’ as an offer I could purchase for £299. I bought it and Car Play/Android Auto became available the next time I switched on the ignition. I just had to activate it from an option in the Apps menu with hungry, coffee, browser etc.

Don’t know why or how it took so long after having the FU2 update last week but I’m happy!

So it appears that the free (under warranty) Fresh Up 2 update is all that is required (plus a £299 purchase!) to get Car Play or Android Auto working in early 2018 models.

#33 ·
Yes, just the FU2 update.
I called my dealer and said I wanted to book my car in for the Fresh Up 2 update in order to activate car play. They booked it in for free under warranty and gave me a free loan car for the day. Whilst they had the car they did some additional recall work on the car too. All under warranty.

#40 ·
All,

My days with MB are counted. I simply cannot believe i paid over 25k for this car and i can`t have AppleCarPlay.

My car is from A200 June 18 model and all systems have been updated last week. Now that i got FU2 still don`t have the option to purchase the service.What a joke.

I got the following message: "Smartphone Integration is unfortunately not available for your A 200 AMG Line vehicle due to the hardware installed ex factory."

Now for all of you A class owners imagine you got a phone holder sicked on your windshield . Does it look good? Your visibility drops? Yes it will.

Than(fu)k you MB

#43 ·
Maybe a stupid question, but are you sure that you have FU2? Like do you have the shop/store icon in the MBUX system?

Cause atm every car that we have updated to at least FU1 supports the retrofit of Apple CarPlay.

#44 ·
This is just my view, but I have no Apple CarPlay and neither do I have my phone stuck to the windscreen / dashboard. With the phone in my pocket, connected via Bluetooth, I can operate all calling functions direct from MBUX and the steering wheel. I am happy with the MB satnav, and don’t like to text/write/read emails while driving.
What it also does brilliantly, which I never had on any car, is connect two phone via Bluetooth at once.
The only thing it doesn’t do, which is annoying, is change playlist when connected on Bluetooth. I need to get my phone out to do that.

#52 ·
I have a 2020 car with, apparently, Carplay included. I noticed it's marked "purchased" but I didn't specifically buy it. Is it worth installing, and if I don't like it, can it be disabled? What advantages does it give me?

#53 ·
Assuming you have an iPhone, it allows you to get rid of the god awful MBUX and instead use Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze, Spotify, Audiobooks, etc.

If installed you can choose whether to use it or not.

You can also use CarPlay and MBUX simultaneously for some things, ie radio from mbux and navigation from CarPlay.