Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m coming from a Golf 7 with 16” alloys. So a quite fat rubber lip that protrudes and makes kerbing practically impossible.
I just park and hit the kerb with the wheel and always know it closely parked and not worry.
How are these ones?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well that will depend on how high the curb is... in UK some curbs are very low, so you dont have problem. But some curbs are high and will damage the wheels

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know. But does the alloy extend beyond the rubber? Even if the kerb is high, that will save you because the rubber hits first.

I’m basically just asking if you guys are being very carefully when you park?

·
Registered
A35, 2019
60 Posts
The larger the wheel, the lower the sidewall and the more probability of kerbing the allow. Just stay away from kerbs....

·
Registered
361 Posts
I know. But does the alloy extend beyond the rubber? Even if the kerb is high, that will save you because the rubber hits first.

I’m basically just asking if you guys are being very carefully when you park?
Depends on the make of tyre fitted, I understand it can vary.
I have "Hankook" from new and they do not have any extra "Kerbing Protection" like some brands.
The alloy is very flat faced so do not extend "bulge" towards the middle like some I have owned.
My tyres are only a few mm wider than the rim (plus a couple more due to the normal pressure bulge at the bottom), not enough to offer any real protection from most kerbs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have pirrelli cinturato p7's on my AMG wheels and they have a definite 1cm lip around the edge of the wheel, but I would never use the tyre as a gauge of where the kerb is. I tend to parallel park by using the dipping passenger mirror in reverse to see where the kerb is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
****, is there people doing that to their car? :)
With my 19" wheels I would shoot someone doing that with my car :D

But if your curbstones are like ours in Sweden (12cm high in the citys) then it should be very close if you dont have very thick rubber on your 18" AMG alloys.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Weird, because every time I've used the auto park, it leaves almost a foot from the kerb. I'd rather take my time when parking near kerbs and often get out to check how close I am. I'd rather do this, than regretting it afterwards.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My previous 18 inch Continental SportContact 6's didn't protrude much from the rim at all, but the Dunlop SportMaxx RT2's I'm running now are much meatier. Cross trainers compared to running shoes, so to speak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The A Class is my first car so as a beginner driver, I've scratched the crap out of my drivers side alloy from driving in to parking spaces in my first few months of getting used to the car. I have the 18" Hankook. They are very easy to scratch imo and have no protection to them.
The tyres on my brothers Golf R are meatier and he just bounces back if he touches the kerb, alloys arent affected. Self Park is terrible on my car, the only time I tried it, it almost went in to a parked car. Had to abort the whole thing and park myself.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Tyre side wall protection will only help with very low speed kerb impacts. OP the bump the kerb parking style you employed with your previous car will almost certainly scratch the alloys as the 18” AMG alloys have quite a pronounced diamond cut rim...

·
Registered
428 Posts
It seems to me that asking whether a car is prone to curbing is a little like asking if it is prone to hitting cyclists. Answer: not if you're reasonably careful and avoid driving close to the kerb.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts