Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does anyone think of the standard sound system?
I was going to order Harmon Karden until I discovered that you could only do so if you had COMAND or if you also ordered the 6 disc CD changer.This pushed the price to over £1000 for the HKand as I only use USB it seemed pointless.

I wasn't too impressed with the standard sound in the test drive car- too bassy and no mid range. I've found some intersting settings on aGerman forumthat can be accessed by putting the Audio 20 into engineer mode which I look forward to trying when I get my car.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Swedish Guy said:
Wheres the link??
Anyone following the instructions and entering Engineers Mode does so at their own risk - you could mess up a whole load of stuff aside from the audio!

Audio 20 set up (German site)

Page 1 has a You Tube clip showing how to get into Engineers Mode
Page 3 has some setting changes to better balance the sound system

(I used Chrome to translate the site)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always been fussy about sound quality and having had the upgraded BOSE in my Audi, I will notice the difference more than would otherwise be the case.

The standard system will be perfectly good for most folk. I am the weirdo!

·
Registered
377 Posts
for what it's worth I went for the HK and it sounds immense!!! I had the Bose in my Audi and this is much, much better.. (sorry) :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well - the standard system is OK - its certainly not going to ruin my enjoyment of the car. I've done the adjustments the engineer mode detailed earlier. There is an improvement but its no BOSE and I know the HK is even better. Enjoy!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone else changed the Audio 20 settings as detailed on the German site above or is it jut me?

I changed my settings in the engineer menu on day two of owning the car and I changed mine back to standard last week to listen for a couple of days as it would be from the factory as I felt I hadn't really given the system much of a chance before changing settings!

I now appreciate more how much better the sound is with the settings changed from standard. I have quickly reverted back to the changed settings which I find give a less boomy bass which I find overpowering at the expense of a lack of mid-range.

If I had HK none of this would be a problem! Don't rub it in anyone with HK!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had a look seems interesting with all the changes that can be made but to me is all a bit scary to even attempt, good luck to anyone who tries it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hi mon2s, I have the Comand System! The sound re-production is really good! I am very happy with it! I don't know how much difference is between the Audio 20, the HK and mine, anybody care to tell me?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Lynne,

I'm glad you are pleased with the sound in your car. I can only assume that the COMAND system probably has a better quality of output signal than the standard Audio 20 as we both have the same speakers ( I don't think you have the Harmon Kardon option do you?)

I know in my last car, an Audi TT, those of us with the Audi Navigation Plus seemed to enjoy much better sound quality than those with the standard head unit even with the same speakers.

It is interesting that the Audio 20 can be tweaked so much via the engineer mode but I wouldn't dare mess beyond using the settings recommended on the other forum by someone that seems to know what they are talking about!

It's a shame there isn't more info available on what the various settings mean but then I suppose Mercedes never intended for the owners to get into the set up menu!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You are correct mon2s, I don't have the HK system! But as you say the Comand may be a little different from the Audio 20 system! I am glad I am happy with the sound because I would be a bit (very) nervous about "tweaking" the bits as loads of the Forum are doing! Not just the sound system but all the other stuff too! That is why I had so many options, I don't have to do anything to the car now! Did you find the Audi TT a little small, mon2s? I also checked out the SLK, which again was too small for my needs! The A Class is perfect! Even after the scare with the tyre pressure, ha, ha! Couldn't be happier with my choice of car!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The TT was a gorgeous car and I'm glad I owned one. I expect I'll miss the 4 wheel drive come the winter.Not too small really, but I don't miss the long doors - hard to get out of the car in parking spaces etc. It was also quite hard over the terrible UK roads. Its lovely to have the Merc with all its modern features and like you I'm very happy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm going to give this Audio 20 Engineering mode fix a go tomorrow when I get the car back from the detailers, I had noticed that the default setting was very boomey. Might have a mooch about and see what other settings are available too, I kinda like the idea of being able to make the screen show AMG on start up instead of the three pointed star.

·
Registered
68 Posts
iopean said:
I'm going to give this Audio 20 Engineering mode fix a go tomorrow when I get the car back from the detailers, I had noticed that the default setting was very boomey.  Might have a mooch about and see what other settings are available too, I kinda like the idea of being able to make the screen show AMG on start up instead of the three pointed star.
Are you just hopeing or have you read that it can be done coz I like the idea of that

·
Registered
80 Posts
Garypa28 said:
iopean said:
I'm going to give this Audio 20 Engineering mode fix a go tomorrow when I get the car back from the detailers, I had noticed that the default setting was very boomey. Might have a mooch about and see what other settings are available too, I kinda like the idea of being able to make the screen show AMG on start up instead of the three pointed star.
Are you just hopeing or have you read that it can be done coz I like the idea of that
Nah, turns out that you can only have the AMG logo on startup if you went with the COMAND system. I made the changes to the Audio 20 system though and there is a definite improvement in the sound, the bass is much reduced, back to a more reasonable level.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks a lot Mon2s. I will give the Audio 20 on my A250 a tweak tonight

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No worries g11. Let us know what you think after you've given it a try out.

I'd still like it tweaked some more but I'm happy compared to the standard sound.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts