Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what temperature do you set your automatic climate setting to? I have set mine to 20 degrees but still don't get very cold air out of air conditioning.

In this extreme hot weather what is the optimum temperature to get cold air out of the air conditioning system?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had mine on 18 this afternoon, 22 mile trip from work and half way home I had to bump it up a bit, the air coming out was freezing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
what temperature do you set your automatic climate setting to? I have set mine to 20 degrees but still don't get very cold air out of air conditioning.

In this extreme hot weather what is the optimum temperature to get cold air out of the air conditioning system?
I have mine set on 21 degrees summer or winter, works for me. You need AC and Auto on. It should then try to give a constant temperature inside whatever it's doing outside.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine is always on high, for most the year. I'm always freezing.

In the recent heatwave, I've had it on low but even that air seems very warm so I usually put the AC on for 5 minutes. When I turn it off, it'll continue sending out cold air for at least another 10 mins.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Keep mine on auto all year round at 20oC. I don’t think the blower fan is linked to auto as you can change the speed manually to any level and it seems to stay at that level.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep mine on auto all year round at 20oC. I don’t think the blower fan is linked to auto as you can change the speed manually to any level and it seems to stay at that level.
Thanks. But did u get real cold air with air condition set to 20 degrees (with the heat wave last couple of days)? I have mine at 20 degree with ac and auto set at all times but I only had moderately cold air thru the vents yesterday... is this normal? I didn't sweat or anything though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine is always on high, for most the year. I'm always freezing.

In the recent heatwave, I've had it on low but even that air seems very warm so I usually put the AC on for 5 minutes. When I turn it off, it'll continue sending out cold air for at least another 10 mins.
If you want to get the best out of the system you keep AC on all the time. Set your temperature to whatever is comfortable and it will either blow out cold or warm air in order to maintain that temperature.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you want to get the best out of the system you keep AC on all the time. Set your temperature to whatever is comfortable and it will either blow out cold or warm air in order to maintain that temperature.
I was always told AC burns more fuel - is this true? Its why I always try to limit its use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Possibly but I should imagine it's pretty insignificant. Besides, driving uses more fuel. You wouldn't generally not drive to save fuel so why would you not use, what I think is a really good feature, to save fuel.
To use climate control to it's full potential set "Auto" and "AC" to on all the time and set the temperature to whatever is comfortable. It will then blow cold air when it's hot out and warm air when it's cold out.
If you need to adjust the temperature saying "Mercedes, I'm too warm/cold" turns the temperature down or up by 1 degree.

·
Registered
A200d Premium+ DAP
33 Posts
I was always told AC burns more fuel - is this true? Its why I always try to limit its use.
So they say.

I’ve tried testing this out as I drive a lot of miles per year and often on very similar journeys. So I’ve tried the same journey using air-con and without, in three different cars and at different times of the year.

I have always got my best mpg during the summer and the worst during the winter. However, I have never experienced any difference between a journey with air-con on, against with it off. So in practical terms, I haven’t experienced any difference.

Most modern cars (and all with climate control) are designed with the air-con running permanently. In fact, you are more like to encounter issues with air-con not being used as things like the seals dry out.

Personally, I find it a more pleasant experience with the air-con on permanently, not just in the summer, but in the winter too. It’s much better at de-misting, for instance.

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
Does it increase the fuel consumption? Yes, ever so slightly. But not like the compressors of old, where it was around 10%. Modern compressors are much more efficient, and intelligent.

Is it mad to turn on A/C when it is 3 degC outside? No. Because it is part of the climate control system, it also regulates humidity (there are humidity sensors in the cabin). It will also help keep the glass clear of condensation, and will speed up clearing fogged up windows.

You have bought a car with climate control, not manual a/c. Using it as if you had manual a/c, you are not using the complete system, you are merely manually regulating temperature, as opposed to fanspeed, distribution, temperature and humidity.

And yes, the refrigerant also contains lubricant, so its essential that the system is on regularly.

In short:
Leave it in Auto and A/C On.

To chill or not to chill: when to use a car’s air-conditioning in the winter - Green Flag

Should I run my air conditioning in winter?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys.
Will be tracking AC & Auto on for a few weeks and measuring consumption. Mercedes did say to use AC a few times a week for about 20/30 mins a day to prevent any problems with humidity in the cabin and fogging the windscreen when it rains. I usually only use it for this purpose and if its really hot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys.
Will be tracking AC & Auto on for a few weeks and measuring consumption. Mercedes did say to use AC a few times a week for about 20/30 mins a day to prevent any problems with humidity in the cabin and fogging the windscreen when it rains. I usually only use it for this purpose and if its really hot.
There's absolutely no way you'll be able to accurately measure, and then come to an accurate conclusion on how much extra fuel you're using by having the A/C on, it really is a waste of time and effort. Your test conditions would need to be so precise, indoor temps would need to be the same, outdoor temps the same, you'd have to be going the exact same speed on the exact same road. Your tire pressure would need to be the same, engine temp the same.... i think you get my point?

Your car's fuel consumption will increase, there's no arguing there but it'll be so insignificant that you simply won't be able to tell that it's the A/C that's causing any changes you might notice . You have to remember that it will work hard initially but the point in using the "Auto mode" is so that once it gets the temp to where you want it, it takes a lot less effort to then keep it there.

To put it into perspective, My A180d is averaging about 60 mpg and based on what my fuel cost me today, doing a 100 mile trip with the A/C off would cost me £7.80. If having the A/C on dropped my MPG down to 58 (i very much doubt it's any more than that) the same 100 miles in the same conditions would cost me £8.07. I do quite a few miles at around 1200 a month for commuting alone, and there's absolutely no way i'd want to miss out on a nice air conditioned cabin for those 1200 miles just so i can save £4.50 a month :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
AC on auto is a no-brainer.
Another useful function that works is the REST button.
Use this to maintain cabin ventilation for a short time after parking- the system will blow gently for half hour or so after locking car, maintains some cooling or heat dependant on settings. It works💂🏼‍♂️

1 - 20 of 23 Posts