Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody managed to read the in depth review in autocar this week.?? And if so any chance of posting on here so I can.!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just read it and it must be the most comprehensive review yet with eight pages.So many points made but they only managed 0-60 in 5.2 which seems very strange when others do much, much better.
Think it's a buy the mag. job for you as posting is obviously a no goer.

ps They say specify black seat belts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah just read it.whats going with their 0-60 time.??? They state 5.2?? Wonder if its extra weight of Pano roof or some other option car had.? Auto express timed it at 4.1 when it did drag race with the amg shooting brake.?? Very strange that's over a second or 25% slower.??

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I've just bought thr magazine and read the review.

It's comprehensive but also quite factually incorrect as it seems they haven't done their home work on the car before testing it.

They say it hasn't got launch control and when a facelift is done this should be implemented for example?!

That could explain the poor 0-60 time.

Either that or the tester can't drive very well as its also the only comparison I've seen against the 135M where that has come out top on acceleration tests.

·
Registered
59 Posts
jamamg said:
I've just bought thr magazine and read the review.

It's comprehensive but also quite factually incorrect as it seems they haven't done their home work on the car before testing it.

They say it hasn't got launch control and when a facelift is done this should be implemented for example?!

That could explain the poor 0-60 time.

Either that or the tester can't drive very well as its also the only comparison I've seen against the 135M where that has come out top on acceleration tests.

The facelift comment says "Launch control. Rapid and repeatable 0-60mph times are essential in this market".
Did I read somewhere that there are only a certain number of repeats available over a time cycle on the 45?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think its 3 launches straight after each other then the car must rest.

To me this is a good thing.

I think your launch control quote is from within the main review, have a look on the last page (from memory I think it is as I've not got the mag to hand at the min) to the right of the page and I'm sure the quote there implies that there isn't launch control at all.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Also the 0-60 times depend on if the car has been run in or not. If its only got 200 miles on the clock it wont be as fast as one with 2000 miles under its belt....

·
Registered
253 Posts
They do say the 0-60 time might improve with 19" wheels. Also, they were pretty doomsday about depreciation but then of course their car was all specced up with carbon fibre whatnots and other expensive bon bons. Their car cost north of £50k.

No turboAMG side badges, though, which is annoying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
jamamg said:
I think its 3 launches straight after each other then the car must rest.

To me this is a good thing.

I think your launch control quote is from within the main review, have a look on the last page (from memory I think it is as I've not got the mag to hand at the min) to the right of the page and I'm sure the quote there implies that there isn't launch control at all.

No quote is from the end under "Jobs for Facelift" but think you are right he probably didn't use it which is a bit sad. Think he should do a re-test as for this car as a fairly basic mistake. I'm surprised he has never seen any of the the videos.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Really disappointed with the review, after specifying an a45 that is nearly £50k I was expecting it to continue to trounce the m135i, makes me wonder if the other reviews had remapped a45's or something wrong with the car? Clearly no launch control but didn't think lc would take 1 second off th 0-60? Also it was slower on the track than the m135i which is really strange based upon all other reviews/ videos? I expect MB will be onto autocar for some edits!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I just don't think they have known much about the car (as in the person that's reviewed it).

Far too many basic errors in a review about a car they should know everything about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Berttie21 said:
Really disappointed with the review, after specifying an a45 that is nearly £50k I was expecting it to continue to trounce the m135i, makes me wonder if the other reviews had remapped a45's or something wrong with the car? Clearly no launch control but didn't think lc would take 1 second off th 0-60? Also it was slower on the track than the m135i which is really strange based upon all other reviews/ videos? I expect MB will be onto autocar for some edits!!
Sent an email to the reviewer just to clarify the launch control question. Hope he replies.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i dont get how you guys are listening to one journalist when several other including the most credible one of all CH has already said it outguns the M135i in speed , launch and around a track. Why do you guys even care if an uninformed journalist gives a review.He doesn't even know the car has a launch control function , what idiot is this we knew this almost a year ago.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Only I can say. Just drive it and than you will stop reading reviews and other bull*hits ;-)

It is even faster than mine old modded Focus RS mk2 380HP and it totally smoked e46 m3 on track ;-).

·
Registered
59 Posts
NOW ALL READ THIS !!!
Reply from Autocar

Hi Peter,</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">I'm rather afraid that is what is known in the trade as a massive</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">balls-up on the part of our testers, and we will attempt to make</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">amends for it. Sorry.</span><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><br style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">MP</span>

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why would they say the acceleration time would be better with 19 inch wheels?

On the contrary, adding more weight further from the centre of the wheel would significantly increase rotational mass and thus result to slower acceleration. Exact calculations of increased wheel/ tyre combinations effect on acceleration is rather complex but according to some sources 1 kilo on the wheel equals up to four kilos on the backseat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Totally agree thought it was a strange comment to make but forgot to raise it .! But again isn't that fairly common knowledge and would expect a top car journo to know it that's for sure.!! Wonder if everybody was on summer holiday at autocar and they got the works experience lad to do review or maybe even the cleaner.lol

·
Registered
687 Posts
I agree with Wilco65 and Lupus, just adds to the point that it doesn't matter how long you've been in the industry you can still be a fool if you don't stay with the times or at least have some basic comprehension of physics. Larger wheel diameter will decrease acceleration and increase top speed smaller ones do the opposite.(up to a certain point of course), so the fact that the writer states 19" wheels would yield faster acceleration proves our point that they aren't credible as car journalists at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts