Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My name is Lucas, I am 25 years old and this is my first post on this forum.

I bought my dream car Mercedes A class w177 2018 in June this year, but from the beginning the start\stop function for example on the lights it's not working (always orange).
My first thought is the battery. After one day my car parked in the workshop menu has 11,9 V battery tension.
I don't want a surprise later when the winter comes so I thought to replace the battery myself, save some money and because I like doing something myself. (In my old car I am always replacing it myself but it's an old car)

My question is can I do that myself without any problem? I mean disconnecting the battery when replacing won't cause any issue with MBUX or other electric systems? Has anyone any experience?

I don't have experience with all the electronic in new cars. Until now I had only a Lancia Ypsilon from 1997 :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I wouldn’t worry. Start stop only works when the car is fully warmed up and outside temp is decent. If you only do shortish journeys that keeps it low too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the car from June and I never do trips shorter than 30 km. I never saw the start stop icon green on the display, that's why I am convinced It's the battery. Od course I can be wrong but I suspect it's the battery.

·
Administrator
5,306 Posts
Have a read of this thread below, and all the linked threads in that thread!

·
Administrator
5,306 Posts
There are 2 batteries in the car:

And another battery thread:

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck resolving the start/stop problem which is more likely for many of us as we head through winter.

·
Registered
2021 A 200 AMG Exec. Auto
1 Posts
There is a separate button battery which is purely for the stop/start system. I don't know where it is located but mine was replaced at the dealers when I had the same problem.
I hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Excellent news. But a 3 year old battery needed replacement? What's your mileage/kilometerage and are you somewhere where it's quite cold already ie sub-zero.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The mechanic told me that I could hold on a bit longer with the replacement because the battery after 3 years was somehow weaker, but still good. It's the car's energy management that when the battery goes under a certain voltage it just turns off the start\stop thing even when the battery is still useable. In fact all was working well except the start\stop thing. In my area during the day there are 5 degrees and up to -2 during the night at the moment

EDIT: 51 000 km

·
Administrator
5,306 Posts
My stop start stopped working after 2 years on my W176 A45, had to have a new starter battery.

See

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
The mechanic told me that I could hold on a bit longer with the replacement because the battery after 3 years was somehow weaker, but still good. It's the car's energy management that when the battery goes under a certain voltage it just turns off the start\stop thing even when the battery is still useable. In fact all was working well except the start\stop thing. In my area during the day there are 5 degrees and up to -2 during the night at the moment

EDIT: 51 000 km
That's quite similar temperatures to the UK at present. Did MB pay for the change or are you having to pay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's quite similar temperatures to the UK at present. Did MB pay for the change or are you having to pay.
I went to a local mechanic and he did it for me so I had to pay. MB told that it costs 418 euro because the car is from 2018 so the warranty expired, when the battery cost is like 150 euro so I just went to my local mechanic which I trust.

EDIT: Insane price for labor when the cost of the battery is 150 euro :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
I went to a local mechanic and he did it for me so I had to pay. MB told that it costs 418 euro because the car is from 2018 so the warranty expired, when the battery cost is like 150 euro so I just went to my local mechanic which I trust.

EDIT: Insane price for labor when the cost of the battery is 150 euro :eek:
Sorry to hear. I know the age of @Reteb and @veeeight cars were less, and I am assuming this in @Reteb case, but MB would have paid and your car was only just outside the warranty period if you have 3 years as in the UK. Anyway probably not worth the hassle trying to pursue a claim now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it's not worth the hassle like you said. In Europe we have 2 years warranty only so I think they wouldn't pay anyway. I paid something like 200 euros with labor so it's a big difference from 418 what MB told me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A lot of these manufacturers use poor quality batteries, which often die after just a few years, at which point you go to the dealer to buy a replacement which will probably then last a few more years. Are you getting the trend here...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was continually told by my dealership, that my battery was ok.
After numerous dash warning lights, I purchased a new one of my own accord. Dash lights disappeared, and never had another problem!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.