Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI Becker Map Pilot Q2/2012 update just released. I'm downloading right now!
It was still the 2011 version when I checked last weekend.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been very impressed.
Its quick, full postcode input and the voice input mode has worked faultlessly for me.

Shame the screen is a bit small and the Map Pilot doesn't lower the volume of the radio/music enough when making announcements. Those are my only critisisms

Its a whole lot better than the awful factory fit system I paid £1500 for that came in my Audi!

If I had my time again though, I would be ordering it from Amazon and saving a couple of hundered quid. If you get it from MB, it will not come in the car, your dealer will simply slot the unit into the prewired connector in the glovebox. I hadn't realised just how staight forward this is. You have to remove it yourself to do the over the internet updates anyhow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
iopean said:
I'm sorely tempted to get one of these for when my car arrives.  What are your thoughts on it?
I have a Becker in my car.Bought it from Amazon at £299.99.
That's £200.00 less than MB.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll have a look around the web for one. I was thinking of just using the satnav on the phone but I like the idea of the tidy integration with the car of the Becker system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought mine on ebay for less than half the cost from the dealers. Its only been a couple of weeks and I have yet to use it to actually find a route I dont know. I was really keen on not having something with trailing cables that keeps falling off the windscreen. I use my Tom Tom for my drive to and from work for traffic and although Becker has traffic, I dont think its anywhere near as good as the Tom Tom but I've not written it off just yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Janine said:
I bought mine on ebay for less than half the cost from the dealers. Its only been a couple of weeks and I have yet to use it to actually find a route I dont know. I was really keen on not having something with trailing cables that keeps falling off the windscreen. I use my Tom Tom for my drive to and from work for traffic and although Becker has traffic, I dont think its anywhere near as good as the Tom Tom but I've not written it off just yet.

I agree that the routing and traffic alerts lack slightly behind the Tom Toms but it will get you to where you want to be and it looks great up on the display.

·
Registered
148 Posts
mon2s said:
I've been very impressed.
Its quick, full postcode input and the voice input mode has worked faultlessly for me.

Shame the screen is a bit small and the Map Pilot doesn't lower the volume of the radio/music enough when making announcements. Those are my only critisisms

Its a whole lot better than the awful factory fit system I paid £1500 for that came in my Audi!

If I had my time again though, I would be ordering it from Amazon and saving a couple of hundered quid. If you get it from MB, it will not come in the car, your dealer will simply slot the unit into the prewired connector in the glovebox. I hadn't realised just how staight forward this is. You have to remove it yourself to do the over the internet updates anyhow.

Amen to that, I had the same system in the Leon, bloody partial post code entry, what a nightmare

Surely you can adjust the volume of the notifications

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes you can adjust the volume of the notifications which is fine, but it hardly lowers the volume of the music source at all when making the announcement.

The option is ticked to lower the volume when making announcements but it seems to make little/no difference. Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Came acrros this on amother forum , looks kike the audio mute isnt specufic to the a class, last post takes you to another forum with an an alledged solution to the problem whic I have inserted below, might've worth a go

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/120962-becker-map-pilot-not-muting-audio-instructions-2.html

Turns out you need to adjust the navigation volume. For it to mute the radio, the selector needs to be in the middle. To get to this, go to the navigation settings. Then, select Navigation Volume and center the scroller. If it's above or below the middle, the navigation commands will no longer drop the radio volume.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Millsy said:
Turns out you need to adjust the navigation volume. For it to mute the radio, the selector needs to be in the middle. To get to this, go to the navigation settings. Then, select Navigation Volume and center the scroller. If it's above or below the middle, the navigation commands will no longer drop the radio volume.
Thanks Millsy - I'll have a go in a bit and report back.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope. Been through the manual for becker and audio 20. Sat in the car going through menus and other than the tick box for audio fade there doesn't appear to be any other option for setting volume.

The only way I've found to alter the volume of announcements is to use the steering wheel control or the Audio 20 volume while an announcement is being made.

Anyone else find that the audio doesn't fade out when an announcement is being made or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Have a look online at the A-Class - Interactive Owner's Manual. It tells you everything you want and need to know. It also explains all the items in the car. It is really easy to follow. Famous last words, ha, ha! Edited by: Lynne

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what it's worth my Becker does fade down.Iactuallyfind it quite annoying in city situations as it pipes up quite a lot a</span>s you're listening to football</span>commentary</span>or your favourite track and therefore the audio drops at vital</span>moments</span>. I wish there was a more flexible option which allowed you to control the fade better (like the iPhone).</span>

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Guys, I am curious about the becker map pilot. As soon as I picked up the car I was advised to come home and update it straight away, which I did (with a bit of difficulty as I recall) I have had a email today telling me there is a software update to 2.5....... my becker will not connect to my pc, tried run as admin, my windows flags it as incompatible...dunno what to do apart from a visit to my local MB...any thoughts please?
Edited by: tone1

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had to reinstall the Content Manager before I got it to work. What failed originally was when it detects the box it 'imports the library' which is 6gb apparently via USB, then you can start messing about with your purchases - downloading and transferring, 4gb for the new map update! 400mb for v2.5 software.

Give yourself a while everyone.

v2.5 is worth it though just for the fix of the postcode entry - it doesn't jump in and suggest something after each character!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi everyone,

I also have the problem of no fading during announcements.

I read above that you adjust nav volume half way. I've checked but can't find where this setting is just nav fade on or off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cablecar69 said:
Hi everyone,

I also have the problem of no fading during announcements.

I read above that you adjust nav volume half way. I've checked but can't find where this setting is just nav fade on or off.

Any ideas?
I tried to follow that instruction aswell but could not find any way to alter the volume like this to half way in the settings either. I think that instruction refers to a C Class and is not something we can set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All

To adjust the volume of your Becker simply turn to not yet connected device like USB so no music is playing, go back to Navi and adjust volume to required level using centre console, then go back to radio or CD music and adjust master volume when music is playing from it.

Fading works only if volume of your music is exceeding the volume set for your Becker unit.

Hope this helps.

(p.s. I have 6-CD changer so dont know if this will work on a basic Audio 20)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts