Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone managed to get the BP smartcharge App working? It's been a **** of a process and taken nearly three months from initial enquiry to fitting then another six weeks to get the App details sent to me. Now it just doesn't work. I can charge my car but only when I plug in and the App doesn't seem to recognise it or have any charging history. I don't know if I can bear being on the phone to BP again or whether I should just write off the App and say I'll never be able to schedule an overnight charge...

·
Registered
2021 A250e Premium Plus in Polar White with Driver Assistance Package and Dashcam
7 Posts
Have a very close look at the red light. Every so often mine is flashing but no more than the size of a pin head. When I contacted BP I was told this could indicate a comms issue between the wall box and their server. I only noticed it when the app said I was plugged in and charging for three days constantly when I knew it wasn’t. My wall box is in the garage so perhaps easier to notice in the dark rather than outside in daylight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only had my 250e for a few days, but the BP charger seems to be working OK. Not tried the scheduling as we don't have Octopus Go yet, but it looks like the app is accepting it. I'll test it out tomorrow. As the sun is shining I can reduce the cost of a charge through our solar panels. No charging history showing on the app though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So BP replaced my faulty unit which was charging every 15 minutes for 5 minutes under the schedule, in which it took another 4 weeks to gain access to the app, apply the schedule and behold it is doing the same behaviour! I assume it’s not the car which is kicking the charging in every 15 minutes? Does anyone else have this issue?

I have gone back to BP to see what they suggest but I have asked for an untethered unit so I can buy an OHME cable so I can time it that way…

·
Registered
36 Posts
Scheduling on BP Pulse doesn't work, as well as no charge history on the app. I also have the tiny red light flashing on the BP Pulse charger. I've contacted BP who confirmed it's a problem connecting to the server, and they have said they'll send someone out to repair or replace. Oh dear!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I am also having problems with the charger. It got installed a month ago, took 3 weeks to get access to the app and now the schedule doesn’t work properly. I plug my my car in and then every 15 minutes it kicks in for 5 minutes. It’s with their second line team right now, not heard back since.
Hey Mark - did you get this fixed? if so do you know how/what was wrong? Mine has just started doing the same - worse still I can't login! I have escalated this top second line too.

Appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Mark - did you get this fixed? if so do you know how/what was wrong? Mine has just started doing the same - worse still I can't login! I have escalated this top second line too.

Appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks
Unfortunately I haven’t managed to get it fixed yet! They replaced the unit and this second one did the same. They have suggested putting a manual timer on the unit to do the scheduling instead which I have agreed too, but who knows when they will do that!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Unfortunately I haven’t managed to get it fixed yet! They replaced the unit and this second one did the same. They have suggested putting a manual timer on the unit to do the scheduling instead which I have agreed too, but who knows when they will do that!
Thanks for that. so does yours still have interrupted charging - every 5 mins or so? I got the timer it does overcome scheduling problems and/or charge starting as soon as it's plugged in to the car (ignoring the schedule. I don't think it can resolve interrupted charging. Note: elsewhere on this thread someone mentioned that fitting a timer is against OLEV agreement!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for that. so does yours still have interrupted charging - every 5 mins or so? I got the timer it does overcome scheduling problems and/or charge starting as soon as it's plugged in to the car (ignoring the schedule. I don't think it can resolve interrupted charging. Note: elsewhere on this thread someone mentioned that fitting a timer is against OLEV agreement!!!
Mine only does that if I set a schedule on the app and it will say that every 15 minutes until the schedule starts, but it shouldn’t charge at all until the schedule kicks in! Yeah I saw that too, at this point I just want the scheduling to work, I haven’t paid for the charger as it came with the car so it’s not much of a loss to me!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mine only does that if I set a schedule on the app and it will say that every 15 minutes until the schedule starts, but it shouldn’t charge at all until the schedule kicks in! Yeah I saw that too, at this point I just want the scheduling to work, I haven’t paid for the charger as it came with the car so it’s not much of a loss to me!
Correct! Yeah mine came with the A250e too. BUT it narks me that BP got the grant money which means you can't get a subsidy towards another charger for 3 years. I bought an Ohme charger it's brilliant (£199 if you are an Octupus Go subscriber). You (ahem - a competent person) can remove the plug and wire it directly to the BP junction box. Forget BP!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Correct! Yeah mine came with the A250e too. BUT it narks me that BP got the grant money which means you can't get a subsidy towards another charger for 3 years. I bought an Ohme charger it's brilliant (£199 if you are an Octupus Go subscriber). You (ahem - a competent person) can remove the plug and wire it directly to the BP junction box. Forget BP!!
Of course the timer will fix your problem once you've deleted the schedule on the website/app.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have considered this as well, certainly if the manual timer doesn’t work or I get annoyed by it I will be going down that route! But agreed, BP have annoyed me throughout this whole process!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have considered this as well, certainly if the manual timer doesn’t work or I get annoyed by it I will be going down that route! But agreed, BP have annoyed me throughout this whole process!
We are definitely 'on the same page'. Where are you in the UK? Be good to compare notes on more topics if you were anywhere near NN

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an engineer visit on Monday 9th Aug to replace my BP Pulse home charger as it's not communicating with the server, so the app doesn't work. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had the home charger replaced and found that this has enabled the app to work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have an engineer visit on Monday 9th Aug to replace my BP Pulse home charger as it's not communicating with the server, so the app doesn't work. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had the home charger replaced and found that this has enabled the app to work?
I've had 3! All have had 'so called' communication problems at some time or other, that's not to say that yours isn't faulty it may be. Currently I cannot log in to the app on my phone or on the ChargeVision website nor can I reset my password (HTTP error 500).

When the current one was first installed although I could log in it showed the Serial Number of the unit that had been removed, it was like this for several days. After several EMails this was corrected and it worked - until last week! I have sent numerous EMails and received useless suggestions how to correct it but nothing has worked so far - they have referred it to the 'data team'. You might ask the installer which network the replacement will be on (o2, Vodafone etc).

I now have an Ohme charger which works flawlessly - I note from their 'blurb' that their SIM looks at 4 networks and connects to the strongest signal - I don't know if BP does this but in any case both o2 and Voda are very strong here.which are the two that the installers have said theirs could be on.

Hope you have better experience!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I've had 3! All have had 'so called' communication problems at some time or other, that's not to say that yours isn't faulty it may be. Currently I cannot log in to the app on my phone or on the ChargeVision website nor can I reset my password (HTTP error 500).

When the current one was first installed although I could log in it showed the Serial Number of the unit that had been removed, it was like this for several days. After several EMails this was corrected and it worked - until last week! I have sent numerous EMails and received useless suggestions how to correct it but nothing has worked so far - they have referred it to the 'data team'. You might ask the installer which network the replacement will be on (o2, Vodafone etc).

I now have an Ohme charger which works flawlessly - I note from their 'blurb' that their SIM looks at 4 networks and connects to the strongest signal - I don't know if BP does this but in any case both o2 and Voda are very strong here. These are the two that the installers have said their chargers could be on.

Hope you have better experience!
Forgot to mention that scheduling was often ignored by the charger e.g. it was set to charge overnight but would start to charge as soon as it was plugged in! BP installed a separate programmable time switch in the supply line to overcome this. This, to my mind, confirms the BP Charger does not work as designed and arguably is not fit for purpose..

·
Registered
7 Posts
So BP replaced my faulty unit which was charging every 15 minutes for 5 minutes under the schedule, in which it took another 4 weeks to gain access to the app, apply the schedule and behold it is doing the same behaviour! I assume it’s not the car which is kicking the charging in every 15 minutes? Does anyone else have this issue?

I have gone back to BP to see what they suggest but I have asked for an untethered unit so I can buy an OHME cable so I can time it that way…
I have the exact same symptoms and have read on numerous boards of the exact same issue. It would seem it can not be blamed on the vehicle since the car is dependent on receiving a charge from the unit, which it appears to the fault of. Initially there is no charge light on the unit but as you have explained it then goes on 15 minute cycles to charge the vehicle for 5 minutes at a time and where the charging unit then shows the charging light as illuminated.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts