Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the exact same symptoms and have read on numerous boards of the exact same issue. It would seem it can not be blamed on the vehicle since the car is dependent on receiving a charge from the unit, which it appears to the fault of. Initially there is no charge light on the unit but as you have explained it then goes on 15 minute cycles to charge the vehicle for 5 minutes at a time and where the charging unit then shows the charging light as illuminated.
I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing this problem! I know it goes against the grant but I hope this manual timer fixes it because I just want it sorted now!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem with my 2 month old BP Pulse unit. It will not schedule, it fell of the wall two weeks after installation and their customer service is appalling.
I am an electrical control engineer and I have done some research. Did you know that if they fit a timer the unit should not qualify for the OLEV grant? It is a minimum requirement that the unit is "remotely controllable" So you should be asking for your grant back or the grant to be made available to you so that you can select another supplier that can fit equipment that works.
For my self I am thinking about fitting an Alexa controlled Zigbee relay inside the BP unit and removing the SIM card from to unit to disconnect it from BP. I can create Alexa routine to create a timed function and override it if needed with a voice command. Details for taking control can be found on this forum Chargemaster/Polar Home Charger Issues
That’s interesting I’ve just had a timer fitted to mine🤔

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yesterday, an engineer visited (fifth visit overall) to replace the BP Pulse home charger. This went well, and the new charger was connected by the customer care team on the same day. I have tried to schedule a charge to use Octopus Go overnight rates, but it starts charging as soon as I plug it in. I have lost patience with BP Pulse and have asked for the charger to be uninstalled, a full refund provided, including OLEV grant, so that I can get a charger that works. A while back I e-mailed BBC Watchdog about BP Pulse, and they have been in touch with me, so I have kept them informed of the shambles that is BP Pulse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
BP have confirmed they will be installing my manual timer in the next few weeks. Couldn’t resolve issues with the scheduling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
BP have confirmed they will be installing my manual timer in the next few weeks. Couldn’t resolve issues with the scheduling.
Others have suggested that installing a timer may not be compliant with the OLEV grant. It may be worth getting BP Pulse to confirm that it is compliant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep I have asked as well, they aren’t very quick at getting back to me!
The smart requirements taken from the gov.uk site suggest that a ‘dumb’ timer would not comply.
Smart requirements
The chargepoint must be able to receive and process information provided.
The chargepoint must be able to react to information received, by adjusting the rate of charging or discharging.
The chargepoint must be able to monitor and record energy consumption and be able to transmit this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The smart requirements taken from the gov.uk site suggest that a ‘dumb’ timer would not comply.
Smart requirements
The chargepoint must be able to receive and process information provided.
The chargepoint must be able to react to information received, by adjusting the rate of charging or discharging.
The chargepoint must be able to monitor and record energy consumption and be able to transmit this.
Even if a manual timer is fitted it would still be able to monitor and record energy consumption though, just only when the timer is on (but will only be using electricity when the timer is on anyway) so maybe it does comply?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even if a manual timer is fitted it would still be able to monitor and record energy consumption though, just only when the timer is on (but will only be using electricity when the timer is on anyway) so maybe it does comply?
I accept that a timer will allow us to schedule a charge, albeit not in a 'smart' manner. If any of you have had a timer installed on the BP Pulse home charger, can you e-mail: [email protected] as they would be keen to hear from you. They believe that this is not compliant with the terms of the OLEV grant and may be an inappropriate use of taxpayers (our) money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I accept that a timer will allow us to schedule a charge, albeit not in a 'smart' manner. If any of you have had a timer installed on the BP Pulse home charger, can you e-mail: [email protected] as they would be keen to hear from you. They believe that this is not compliant with the terms of the OLEV grant and may be an inappropriate use of taxpayers (our) money.
Spoiler Alert. I have been contacted by Watchdog about a week ago and number of times since then. They are coming to film next Tuesday, so "Watch" this space

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spoiler Alert. I have been contacted by Watchdog about a week ago and number of times since then. They are coming to film next Tuesday, so "Watch" this space
Watchdog have been in contact with me too, and mentioned a Zoom interview on Tuesday. I live up north and probably too far for a live interview. Still no progress on my BP Pulse Home Charger. I was assured that someone from the 'Complaints Team' would contact me yesterday to discuss a solution, but they didn't - I imagine that the Complaints Team is overwhelmed at the moment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watchdog have been in contact with me too, and mentioned a Zoom interview on Tuesday. I live up north and probably too far for a live interview. Still no progress on my BP Pulse Home Charger. I was assured that someone from the 'Complaints Team' would contact me yesterday to discuss a solution, but they didn't - I imagine that the Complaints Team is overwhelmed at the moment.
I live in Huddersfield. They rang yesterday to say they will arrive at 8am and come back again at around 5pm. From what they are saying they are interviewing another person to do with the lateness of the installation of their charger, whereas as mine is about the scheduler not working

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Huddersfield. They rang yesterday to say they will arrive at 8am and come back again at around 5pm. From what they are saying they are interviewing another person to do with the lateness of the installation of their charger, whereas as mine is about the scheduler not working
I'm in Northumberland, so a long way for a crew to travel. I've not heard back from Watchdog for a few days, but it seems like my issues will be covered by your's and the other person's contributions. I would like to think that it will achieve something, though BP Pulse going out of business might not be the best solution!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just to add more to the list that BP get wrong, they have sent me all the equipment ready for the timer to be fitted today, but the timer is only rated to 16A, which would mean my charging time doubles, which they never told me about either. I have sent them an email asking what they are going to do about this. I also contacted Watchdog and forwarded them various emails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to add more to the list that BP get wrong, they have sent me all the equipment ready for the timer to be fitted today, but the timer is only rated to 16A, which would mean my charging time doubles, which they never told me about either. I have sent them an email asking what they are going to do about this. I also contacted Watchdog and forwarded them various emails.
So completed some filming with Watchdog yesterday and coincidentally while this was happening BP rang and clearly someone higher up the food chain. They left a message and called again later in the afternoon before Watchdog returned to complete some more filming. I spoke with the chap who claimed that there had been an issue with a "firewall" which was not allowing the scheduled charging to take place, so this may be worth others looking at but before doing so log off the app and any other devices web browsers and delete the app. Put the key in put into the lock position then switch off at the distribution box for at least 2 minutes then switch it back on. Once the charger has gone through all its start ups check Chargevision | Login and login. The data fromyor device ie charging times history may take up to 48 hours to reappear but once it has done so then reinstall the app. I have tried this to do and whilst not 100% it is working differently and will need to carry out some more checks myself to find any further faults before speaking again with them.
They also said if it does not work then they can offer a manual timer that has 6 schedules you are able to set. He also said that the issue could be due to their 2G Vodafone sim card but I very much doubt, in my case that this was the problem because of the consistency in the 15 minutes cycle of off for 10 minutes and on for 5 minutes which really did not suggest it was mobile signals dropping in and out with such consistency

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting you say that, the schedule seems to be working for me now (which it wasn’t before) but it’s still doing the charge for 5 minutes every 15 minutes. I read online regarding the EQC on another forum and they also reported the same and seemed to suggest that it’s the car which is kicking the charging in and not the charger, apparently Mercedes came back to the user in question and said it does this “to test the battery status”

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting you say that, the schedule seems to be working for me now (which it wasn’t before) but it’s still doing the charge for 5 minutes every 15 minutes. I read online regarding the EQC on another forum and they also reported the same and seemed to suggest that it’s the car which is kicking the charging in and not the charger, apparently Mercedes came back to the user in question and said it does this “to test the battery status”
I have heard that before about a Mercedes checking the battery.
Well I have tried now over 3 days and still the scheduler is not working as it should. So it seems I will have to go back and get the manual timer, which is not ideal but to take advantage of the cheaper energy tariffs I will have to take the timer.

The real test of all this is now when it will be fitted

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have heard that before about a Mercedes checking the battery.
Well I have tried now over 3 days and still the scheduler is not working as it should. So it seems I will have to go back and get the manual timer, which is not ideal but to take advantage of the cheaper energy tariffs I will have to take the timer.

The real test of all this is now when it will be fitted
I tried deleting the App and rebooting, but it still won't schedule a charge. I was told on 18th Aug that someone from the Complaints Team would contact me the next day, but they didn't. Since then, I've been told that an advisor's superior, and someone from the Technical Team would contact me, but so far nothing. I will only accept a timer if it is an interim solution to a fully compliant smart charger in accordance with OZEV requirements. It will be interesting to see what happens after the BBC Watchdog programme on Wednesday.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had my charge master for nearly a year now and no issues. Funnily enough I've never been able to use the app as I've been waiting the same amount of time for octopus to sort my smart meter. A new meter later and still unable to switch to octopus go, no fear if I do the charging unit will play up 🤦‍♂️

41 - 60 of 76 Posts