Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick one, anyone knows what fluid our cars come with? Booked it in for B1 so last week I took it in for a quick check see what's included, I was told just oil service (no diff as expected), cabin filter and brake fluid. Asked the advisor if there's an optional fluid just like oil, which is available in standard MB 5W-30 and AMG 0W-40, he said no option for brake fluid, just standard. So then I asked what he meant by standard, and I was expecting to hear standard for the A45s, but surprisingly no, he said standard for the A class. What? :oops:

How's that possible? He has to be wrong? If our cars take the same fluid like for example the A160, given the massive weight difference and the brake system itself, it should boil faster than a 3 minute egg under hard braking. Service is in a few days and I'd like to know because if it's the same fluid I might put in something better. Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So it looks normal to you that our 1640 kg, high performance, almost track prepped cars (basically switch to semi-slick tires and the car is pretty much set) with 6 piston calipers that obviously aren't purely cosmetic, takes the same brake fluid as the A160? They wouldn't last more than a lap, or say a couple of miles in case you enjoy spirited driving on twisty roads, which is where this car mainly shines as everyone says. Wouldn't you switch to something more suitable? Advisor recommended that I stick to OEM fluid or I may end up damaging the system, pretty common answer for a dealer, you know stick to whatever it is that we're putting into. But this isn't my daily and most of the time driving it, I drive aggressively. With that in mind, only downside to using a fluid with higher dry boiling point, is having to change it more often, say once a year as opposed to every two years. So what would you do? I'd really like your input.

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
I’ve not heard of many having a problem with regular DOT 4 in any AMG or Porsche for road use, even for aggresive or spirited driving. Unless you’ve got a fault, or on roads that don’t present opportunities for brake cooling, you’re unlikely to reach the boiling point.

For track use I’d prob go for a Racing DOT 4 spec with a slightly higher boiling point. @sr3rad What do you use in your Elise?

But really, regular DOT 4 is fine. (Just like non braided brake hoses ;) )

Do not ever mix silicone based fluid (eg DOT 5) with DOT 4.

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
Here goes the neighbourhood again between the two of you 🤣😁👌

• Haha
Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have used ATE Type 200 Dot 4 Racing fluid in all my performance cars for many years now. It has a higher boiling point than regular brake fluid and has a 3 year change schedule.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve not heard of many having a problem with regular DOT 4 in any AMG or Porsche for road use, even for aggresive or spirited driving. Unless you’ve got a fault, or on roads that don’t present opportunities for brake cooling, you’re unlikely to reach the boiling point.

For track use I’d prob go for a Racing DOT 4 spec with a slightly higher boiling point. @sr3rad What do you use in your Elise?

But really, regular DOT 4 is fine. (Just like non braided brake hoses ;) )

Do not ever mix silicone based fluid (eg DOT 5) with DOT 4.
So next up on the list after the braided lines, is brake fluid and maybe pads. :p

Here goes the neighbourhood again between the two of you 🤣😁👌
lol, nah, not this time. Well truth is I'm thinking maybe stick to OEM for now as I don't plan on upgrading my brakes this year. It's going to be tires first.

I have used ATE Type 200 Dot 4 Racing fluid in all my performance cars for many years now. It has a higher boiling point than regular brake fluid and has a 3 year change schedule.
Yeah "the new racing quality" as it says. I've used that too, it's the one I've left for 3.5 years and was still in decent condition but changed it anyway, as I've mentioned on another thread. I've also used the Motul RBF 600. IIRC the ATE fluid has a 280C minimum dry boiling point, don't remember the Motul's, and I've just found our factory fluid is at 260.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A quick one, anyone knows what fluid our cars come with? Booked it in for B1 so last week I took it in for a quick check see what's included, I was told just oil service (no diff as expected), cabin filter and brake fluid. Asked the advisor if there's an optional fluid just like oil, which is available in standard MB 5W-30 and AMG 0W-40, he said no option for brake fluid, just standard. So then I asked what he meant by standard, and I was expecting to hear standard for the A45s, but surprisingly no, he said standard for the A class. What? :oops:

How's that possible? He has to be wrong? If our cars take the same fluid like for example the A160, given the massive weight difference and the brake system itself, it should boil faster than a 3 minute egg under hard braking. Service is in a few days and I'd like to know because if it's the same fluid I might put in something better. Thanks.
Brake Fluid is not "special" for most Cars on the Planet. Most use a version called DOT 4 which means it can perform to the required level in supporting Caliper and Pad performance hot [up to 240 degrees C] or when it becomes older and it may have absorbed water moisture over time.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brake Fluid is not "special" for most Cars on the Planet. Most use a version called DOT 4 which means it can perform to the required level in supporting Caliper and Pad performance hot [up to 240 degrees C] or when it becomes older and it may have absorbed water moisture over time.
Strange though, for a track prepped car, minus the tires (or not, if your in Australia and opt for the Pirelli's). But then again, our cars will go into power saving mode (exactly -100hp) after 3 back to back runs to 200kph, which is a JOKE on track days!! So yeah, I guess it makes sense.

As I said I'm thinking about sticking to OEM for now as I don't plan on upgrading my brakes this year and doing the fluid alone doesn't make much sense. However it will perfectly complement the braided lines and racing pads. Probably going to be the RBF 600 with a 312C dry boiling point, that I have used in the past and it always came through with flying colors. But it's gonna be tires first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts