Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this morning when I got out if my car that there was this burnt rubber smell coming from the car. I had only driven 6 miles and wasnt hammering the car. I've done a bit of reading on what could be giving off this smell and I've read that it could be the DPF (diesel particulate filter). Could this be the cause if it? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am a first time diesel owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My A180 is diesel but I've not experienced any burning smells yet. I'm saying yet because on my VW Scirroco every couple of thousand miles the car exhaust was automatically "cleaning" the DPF by allowing the exhaust to increase its temperature and burn all the soot.

6 miles seems a bit premature for this sort of function to kick in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mkouk,

I don't mean the car has only done 6 miles, my trip was 6 miles, the car has only done about 130 miles. Sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes it was highly likely to be the DPF regenerating for the first time. Mine stank the first time but haven't noticed it since. It was the same on my C Class a couple of years ago too.Edited by: mon2s

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mon2s,

Thanks for that, I'm pretty sure it was the DPF as today after the same journeys no smell at all.
#happydays :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive just had a strong smell of something burning. Smelt like clutch or brake pads burning but after reading this sounds like the DPF as ive just gone over 1000miles now. There was smoke coming out of the exhaust as well. Hope this is only a once off issue?!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah it calms down after the first time. On a couple of occasions after that I only noticed a lot of pinging coming from a very hot exhaust but no smell.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've experienced this too but I'm driving a petrol A180 and only collected the car 2 days ago! Haven't pushed the car at all either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an A220 CDI and have experienced similar symptoms to those mentioned above. I took delivery of the car in late June 2013 and first experienced heat build-up in the engine bay, a smell of burning rubber and power sapping whilst driving. Service Care came out and found no fault. Later symptoms including pinging exhaust pipes.

Ever since, the same symptoms have reoccurred almost two-weekly. After two returns to the dealer, they are now telling me what I had hinted at in the past - DPF regeneration. This is the only fault code that has triggered.

However, surely after 3100 miles of varied driving (usual weekly commute, heavy weekends of almost 500 motorway miles, multiple drives of varying lengths in the day etc.) this would not be occurring every two weeks? This is what the dealer is telling me - they are effectively alleging that this is normal!

The symptoms are that bad that I have called for assistance in the past. I have the 7-speed semi-automatic gearbox which becomes extremely hesitant and indecisive, as well as lacking power quite significantly.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue? I am reluctant to accept from the dealer that this is normal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a a220 with 3000 miles on the clock & mine doesn't do it. I've never once noticed the dpf regeneration. Despite looking out for it as the dpf was so terrible on my last car. Gearbox is prone to being a bit hesitant on the way up & jerky on the way down in sport mode. I'd take it back & demand they sort it properly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its the car going into regeneration mode this takes about 40 mins and the car needs to be driven in excess of 2000 revs for this period , also use Shell fuel and not supermarket stuff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Further to my post on 28th October 2013, I have experienced the following "symptoms" roughly every 300 miles with my A220 CDI:

<ul>[*]Drop in engine note to produce a rattly metallic sound[*]Fuel economy drops to roughly 30 MPG[*]Significant hesitancy from the automatic gearbox - borderline dangerous when in slow moving traffic or pulling away[*]Abrupt gear changes and power delivery[*]Smell of burning rubber and presence of excess in heat around the engine when out of the car[/list]

These symptoms last each for around 30-minutes each time. The car either corrects itself after reset or gradually stops mid-journey.

I have had the car from new since late June 2013 and have now covered 5300 mixed miles - including plenty of long drives. The car has been attended by Service Care roadside once, towed away for inspection once and collected for inspection once. Nothing has been revealed.

Any ideas? If this is DPF regeneration every 300 miles, I wasn't notified this would be a problem and neither do I think it is acceptable. During cycles, the car performs poorly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So is this burning smell confirmed as regeneration? I am having same issues after just over 500 miles. Car seems to be performing fine though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts