Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says, got new car on Thursday. Was going somewhere new last night and wanted to utilise W3W.

So I got in car , said "Hi Mercedes, Navigate to What three words Pets Focal Tunes" it loaded for a bit and then came back with Fogo.

I did it again pronuncing the words carefully. Still nothing. Am I missing something, do I need to set something up or install something.

I've activated "Global Search" service on Mercedes me app. Is there anything else I need to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive had my car since Monday and not tried What 3 words by voice but have tried using the what 3 words app then once found sending the route to the car and that worked fine

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The servers have been a bit iffy for the past few days. I’ve only tried it once and it worked no problem

“ Mercedes, Navigate to what three words word1 word2 word3”

·
Registered
773 Posts
Tried it in my car but never got it to work, gave up in the end because I felt stupid keep saying three random words to the car, ended up just asking for the address which worked first time.

It does not help the fact that me car does not connect online outside my house for a while. Seems OK when I come home but not when I leave home, so I have to remember the words for a while before I can try.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Tried it in my car but never got it to work, gave up in the end because I felt stupid keep saying three random words to the car, ended up just asking for the address which worked first time.

It does not help the fact that me car does not connect online outside my house for a while. Seems OK when I come home but not when I leave home, so I have to remember the words for a while before I can try.
What about the What Three Words app for the mobile phone. It's great as you can search by address and then pinpoint the exact position you need on the map.

Then just ask Mercedes.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce myself as the representative at what3words for the partnership with Mercedes. It’s great to see discussion about using three word addresses for navigation in your A-classes but I wanted to address some of the problems that a couple of you are having.

I understand from Mercedes-Benz UK that MercedesMe Connect has been down since Wednesday which would explain why there have been issues recently. I have been promised an update for when this is solved so will update here.

I am also attaching to this post the instructions that we have created at what3words about what needs to be enabled for three word address entry to be possible and the various ways you can enter (voice & text).

We produced this video: https://vimeo.com/273287349 which could also be useful.

For those who have already used what3words in your A-class, I would welcome any feedback or stories that you may have. I will also be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,
Charlie

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce myself as the representative at what3words for the partnership with Mercedes. It’s great to see discussion about using three word addresses for navigation in your A-classes but I wanted to address some of the problems that a couple of you are having.

I understand from Mercedes-Benz UK that MercedesMe Connect has been down since Wednesday which would explain why there have been issues recently. I have been promised an update for when this is solved so will update here.

I am also attaching to this post the instructions that we have created at what3words about what needs to be enabled for three word address entry to be possible and the various ways you can enter (voice & text).

We produced this video: https://vimeo.com/273287349 which could also be useful.

For those who have already used what3words in your A-class, I would welcome any feedback or stories that you may have. I will also be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,
Charlie
Thank you taking a time to join us here at the A-Class forum. It is nice to see representative of the manufacturers partners to come on here and address problems, it is a shame that nobody from Mercedes UK or other countries can be bothered to join us to address other problems with build quality, faults and customer service, but that is a conversation for another time.

Also thank you for posting the instructions they are very clear. I can only speak for myself and would like to say that it helped, however I have followed the instructions before when the network was connected but still had no joy, all I got back from MBUX is it keep asking me what I wanted. I think that the problem is less with WhatThreeWords and more with the MercedesMe and Linguatronic, which really doesn't surprise me with some of the poor support people have had with MBUX, myself included.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi! I’m from Italy. Never worked. I think w3w works (just now) only in some countries. I tried to set English language, too, but nothing

·
Registered
497 Posts
What3words has always worked well for me and I must say, I think it is extremely useful for some situations where an address is not sufficient.

My only gripe is that there is no direct interface with MBUX. It would be great if the app could be accessed from the nav system (and I mean without paying Mercedes' Vodaphone plan) so you could simply choose the W3W code and navigate directly. It could also be improved if the Send to Car from Google maps worked.

Both of these are down to MB, I suspect. It's such a pity that they over-promised MBUX before launch of the model last year. Also a pity that they are totally uncommunicative with their customers over the development problems they clearly have been experiencing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My only gripe is that there is no direct interface with MBUX. It would be great if the app could be accessed from the nav system (and I mean without paying Mercedes' Vodaphone plan) so you could simply choose the W3W code and navigate directly. It could also be improved if the Send to Car from Google maps worked.
This works well for me. I have been playing with the car since delivery on Monday last week and used the W3W app to send to the car the route - works brilliant. Will this stop after the 1 month data trial with Vodafone?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This works well for me. I have been playing with the car since delivery on Monday last week and used the W3W app to send to the car the route - works brilliant. Will this stop after the 1 month data trial with Vodafone?
I tried to send directly to my car from the w3w app. But when I do it says "error can't send to car as this is not an address"

I've found to get it to work I need to share with Google maps and then send to car.

I've then ran into problems with the car saying "road not mapped" even when I've moved the coordinates on w3w to the road (sometimes the 3x3m square isnt placed on near road). But even when move to a road it says road isn't mapped. Anyone else have this ?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts