Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I recently took ownership of an approved used 180d (December 2018), which when purchased from the dealer I was assured had Apple Carplay.

Having attached my iPhone using the mobile device USB socket I note that Carplay is not available although by holding the voice key up I can communicate with SIRI.

Having read similar posts on this forum members state that Carplay is an optional extra for nearly £300 and can be purchased via Mercedes Me. I however, can not see this option within Mercedes Me and all other services are enabled.

I also note that the internet browser states that it is discontinued.

I contacted my dealership and they are unaware of any update to the MBUX being available for my vehicle and if I can find evidence of this then to send it through.

Now I know from posts on this form that there are currently three MBUX versions, Pre FU, FU 1 and FU 2 so why would the Mercedes dealership not be aware of this?

Is it a simple case of updating the MBUX software/firmware or what options do I have? Can the MBUX software/firmware be upgraded over the air?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
Most W177 can have CarPlay enabled by updating the MBUX software, but recollection is that some early 2018 models can’t.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hi everyone.

I recently took ownership of an approved used 180d (December 2018), which when purchased from the dealer I was assured had Apple Carplay.

Having attached my iPhone using the mobile device USB socket I note that Carplay is not available although by holding the voice key up I can communicate with SIRI.

Having read similar posts on this forum members state that Carplay is an optional extra for nearly £300 and can be purchased via Mercedes Me. I however, can not see this option within Mercedes Me and all other services are enabled.

I contacted my dealership and they are unaware of any update to the MBUX being available for my vehicle and if I can find evidence of this then to send it through.

Now I know from posts on this form that there are currently three MBUX versions, Pre FU, FU 1 and FU 2 so why would the Mercedes dealership not be aware of this?

Is it a simple case of updating the MBUX software/firmware or what options do I have? Can the MBUX software/firmware be upgraded over the air?

Thanks in advance.
If you bought it from a reputable dealer take it back and ask them to get the CarPlay working for you, they assured you it was a feature of the car so they are responsible for providing it, however, there is always the 'I never said that' issue but you might strike lucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mercedes-Benz has discontinued this without informing customers and they haven’t got an alternative. In Australia this is illegal and Mercedes-Benz is facing a massive fine and also potential compensation to customers that don’t have these features whilst the vehicles were sold as if it exist. The issue is between Mercedes-Benz and Microsoft, however Mercedes-Benz is liable to their customers. The minimum fine is over $3.5 million if Mercedes-Benz keeps ignoring this matter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all, so today I've officially found out from Mercedes that Apple car play and AA are not available on my car and they can not sort this for me but they said something about maybe looking at a retro fit system and apparently there are a few on the market.
My car was manufactured in July 2018. Has anyone had this issue and been able to get ACP/AA? I was looking at a this from Amazon, has anyone tried this? Or would I need someone that can do coding? Liamostee NTG5 S1 For Apple CarPlay/Android OBD Auto Activation Tool for Mercedes Benz: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi all, so today I've officially found out from Mercedes that Apple car play and AA are not available on my car and they can not sort this for me but they said something about maybe looking at a retro fit system and apparently there are a few on the market.
My car was manufactured in July 2018. Has anyone had this issue and been able to get ACP/AA? I was looking at a this from Amazon, has anyone tried this? Or would I need someone that can do coding? Liamostee NTG5 S1 For Apple CarPlay/Android OBD Auto Activation Tool for Mercedes Benz: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
I doubt this will work on a W177 with NTG6. To get the software upgrade you need to complain about a problem like the system erroneously forgetting the radio stations or something similar. The problem with most dealers is that the software upgrade is not mandatory and they won't get paid to do it unless they log a fault against it. I recommend you try to get it updated first, before trying anything else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I doubt this will work on a W177 with NTG6. To get the software upgrade you need to complain about a problem like the system erroneously forgetting the radio stations or something similar. The problem with most dealers is that the software upgrade is not mandatory and they won't get paid to do it unless they log a fault against it. I recommend you try to get it updated first, before trying anything else.
That's really helpful to know, thank you. I received some further information after going through several departments at Mercedes. Apparently I need the FU1 update (Fresh-up 1) once this is done, which is an all day job, I should be able to get the smart integration package. The thing is, Mercedes have no idea what this update is. Anyway I've opened up a case with them and asked the CMS department to contact my local dealers. Will just have to wait and see what happens!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mercedes-Benz has discontinued this without informing customers and they haven’t got an alternative. In Australia this is illegal and Mercedes-Benz is facing a massive fine and also potential compensation to customers that don’t have these features whilst the vehicles were sold as if it exist. The issue is between Mercedes-Benz and Microsoft, however Mercedes-Benz is liable to their customers. The minimum fine is over $3.5 million if Mercedes-Benz keeps ignoring this matter.
That's mental! In the UK it's definitely not being taken that seriously. I've spent nearly a week now trying to figure out what is going on and why I can't get ACP/AA and most Mercedes dealers have no idea. Either that or they don't want to sort it like @alexcannas says. My car is still under warranty, so really, I believe it's for them to sort. I don't see why I should take it elsewhere and potentially void my warranty in the process.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's really helpful to know, thank you. I received some further information after going through several departments at Mercedes. Apparently I need the FU1 update (Fresh-up 1) once this is done, which is an all day job, I should be able to get the smart integration package. The thing is, Mercedes have no idea what this update is. Anyway I've opened up a case with them and asked the CMS department to contact my local dealers. Will just have to wait and see what happens!
Is a pain... In my experience there is one or two guys at each dealership who understands this and if you don't get to talk to them directly, well... Let's just say you will not get anywhere.

Patience and perseverance...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is a pain... In my experience there is one or two guys at each dealership who understands this and if you don't get to talk to them directly, well... Let's just say you will not get anywhere.

Patience and perseverance...
So true, well like you said I'll just have to keep persevering! Appreciate your help

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That's really helpful to know, thank you. I received some further information after going through several departments at Mercedes. Apparently I need the FU1 update (Fresh-up 1)
Goodness me MB really are out of touch, FU1 is old now as the latest MBUX software is now FU3 but also called something else, do a quick search here on FU3 and you will find out all about it.

If the dealer is reluctant to do the update just report one of the 'faults' that require FU3 to fix them and they will get paid to do the update.

Of course if MB updated their software OTA as they advertise this would not be needed but I don't think that is going to happen, they do update the maps and some small software updates OTA so I guess we are supposed to be grateful for that 🤣

·
Registered
11 Posts
Goodness me MB really are out of touch, FU1 is old now as the latest MBUX software is now FU3 but also called something else, do a quick search here on FU3 and you will find out all about it.

If the dealer is reluctant to do the update just report one of the 'faults' that require FU3 to fix them and they will get paid to do the update.

Of course if MB updated their software OTA as they advertise this would not be needed but I don't think that is going to happen, they do update the maps and some small software updates OTA so I guess we are supposed to be grateful for that 🤣
My local dealers don't even know what FU1 is let alone FU3!! But I'll look into, thank you ! 😊

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
Goodness me MB really are out of touch, FU1 is old now as the latest MBUX software is now FU3
You can’t go directly from original to FU3 hence why they told him to go FU1 first, this adds ‘Store’. They aren’t “out of touch” they are correctly identifying the recommended upgrade path.

From there the upgrade path to FU3 is possible.

But bear in mind cars built before sometime in 2018 don’t have the hardware for ACP/AA, so even if you end up with ‘Store’, your particular car may not have the hardware. From memory they change date was around July/Aug/Sept 2018 before the hardware was standard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can’t go directly from original to FU3 hence why they told him to go FU1 first, this adds ‘Store’. They aren’t “out of touch” they are correctly identifying the recommended upgrade path.

From there the upgrade path to FU3 is possible.

But bear in mind cars built before sometime in 2018 don’t have the hardware for ACP/AA, so even if you end up with ‘Store’, your particular car may not have the hardware. From memory they change date was around July/Aug/Sept 2018 before the hardware was standard.
My car was manufactured on 05/06/2018. You think it won't have the hardware?

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
Don’t know for sure, but that’s the experience of many people on this forum that had early 2018 cars without ACP/AA.

See

·
Registered
53 Posts
My car was manufactured on 05/06/2018. You think it won't have the hardware?
Make a Mercedes me account, if you haven’t already. I used the iphone app. Contact Mercedes me tech’s through the help and ask them. I was told the same and the Mercedes me techs told me it was available and contacted the dealership directly and told them how to upgrade the software. But you will still need to fork out for the CarPlay activation.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Is this something you have discussed with MB research and development or is it just your opinion I wonder.

Either way unless early cars cannot be upgraded beyond FU1 it is in MB and the customers best interest to upgrade the car to the most up to dated software release as this is the one that is currently being supported.

It is quite possible of course that MB have not written automated scripts to update vehicles direct from pre FU1 to the latest software version and therefore need to implement each update individually but this is not something that the customer should be burdened with.

As @Chevy has said, contact tech support and they should know whether the car has the correct hardware and be able to instruct the dealer how to do this painlessly.

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
Is this something you have discussed with MB research and development or is it just your opinion I wonder.
MB Service Manager relayed that info to me, from his workshop guidance notes.
Some of us have less propensity to ‘opinion’, more ‘fact’. Wonder no more.

It is quite possible of course that MB have not written automated scripts to update vehicles direct from pre FU1 to the latest software version and therefore need to implement each update individually but this is not something that the customer should be burdened with.
Not to do with automated scripts, it is common in the IT world to upgrade from pre-requisites of certain software/firmware levels, if you take Cisco for example, every software/firmware upgrade is accompanied by notes that stipulate which level of firmware/software must be present, before upgrading to the latest version. Hence not going directly to FU3 from original MBUX software level.

The customer wasn’t burdened with anything, M-B Technical correctly advised the customer that his car needed to be implemented with FU1 in order to get ‘Store’, which would have enabled them to purchase ACP/AA (if their car had the relevant hardware). From there the upgrade from FU1 to FU3 would have been invisible to the customer as the dealer would perform this as a next step, their Xentry would have told them on the screen that the update was available and pre-requisites met.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make a Mercedes me account, if you haven’t already. I used the iphone app. Contact Mercedes me tech’s through the help and ask them. I was told the same and the Mercedes me techs told me it was available and contacted the dealership directly and told them how to upgrade the software. But you will still need to fork out for the CarPlay activation.
Yes that's exactly what I've done. I was directed to the CMS department which then advised me that my car can have ACP/AA however, I need the FU1 update... obviously this wasn't something Mercedes were willing to do as they didn't know what this update was. Customer services have opened up a case yesterday and are now working with CMS to contact my dealers so that they can arrange to do this. I guess I'll find out very soon if it's possible. Also, unless Mercedes actually take my car in and have a look they won't know as over the phone when looking on their system some say yes you can get it and others just look at the codes and say no.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts