Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anybody advise please, I want to change the rear wiper blade on a 2019 A200. I have removed the plastic cover over the pivot nut, but the rear wiper arm does not seem to want to lift away from the rear screen easily. Any advice please.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but the arm lifts a few mm away from the screen but then there's real resistance. Thanks anyway.
It kinda snaps into the changing position. However if you think the mechanism might be stuck, maybe spray some W40 on it and let it soak. Or pull harder..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on changing rear wiper blade.
I've now seen a Mercedes mechanic and it seems that the new (2019 onwards) A200 has a re-designed rear wiper arm which can not be pulled away fully from the screen for maintenance.
To change the wiper blade you have to lift the plastic pivot cover and remove the retaining nut and arm.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Talk about making routine maintenance difficult, so that the less mechanically minded owner has to resort to paying a dealer to replace such a minor wear item.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey guys... I'm pretty new to this forum, just got myselt a 1.5 year old A250. I was trying to check the rear wiper blade and couldn't lock it into position. But there's a trick: you need to first pull the arm longitudinaly for the safety latch to disengage and then fold it backwards. There's a very strong spring keeping it locked. It is different than standard rear wipers. Then it stays in service position. I believe this is safety feature to prevent the wiper from accidentally folding away on itself or if someone touches it etc... Unfortunately the manual does not mention this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys... I'm pretty new to this forum, just got myselt a 1.5 year old A250. I was trying to check the rear wiper blade and couldn't lock it into position. But there's a trick: you need to first pull the arm longitudinaly for the safety latch to disengage and then fold it backwards. There's a very strong spring keeping it locked. It is different than standard rear wipers. Then it stays in service position. I believe this is safety feature to prevent the wiper from accidentally folding away on itself or if someone touches it etc... Unfortunately the manual does not mention this.
Hi Alexcannas, many thanks for the advice.
I've just tried pulling the arm longitudinally with reasonable force but it doesn't seem to move.
My car is an A200, does your wiper look like the attached photo?
Vehicle door Windshield Hood Auto part Automotive window part

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
Sometime in 2019, the rear wiper arm changed from a hinged design which you could hinge, into a solid design which you can't.

Yours looks like the latter.

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
With the later solid type arm, you can only get it to a service position a short distance from the glass (enough to change the blade).

But it doesn’t flip or hinge backwards like traditional rear wiper arms.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Agreed... it doesn't complete hinge backwards but as @veeeight showed it does have a service position so you don't need to unscrew the wiper arm to do the blade replacement.
Tire Tool Rim Wheel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, I just wondered if anybody has actually changed the rubber blade. How is it removed from the arm? Do you have to remove the end cap? or does it release from the centre clip?

·
Registered
135 Posts
How is it removed ? Did we ever find out ?
You just pull it back and it snaps into position. I realised all the trickery I was posting was because it had never been moved before so was kind of stuck. But now you can just pull it back and it snaps into position. Only difference is that it doesn't fold at 90deg like on older models but at 30deg. You don't need to remove the capping piece.

Once at the 30deg angle, you just push the wiper blade towards the windscreen (whilst holding the arm) so it slides out. Wiper blade is clipped in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You just pull it back and it snaps into position. I realised all the trickery I was posting was because it had never been moved before so was kind of stuck. But now you can just pull it back and it snaps into position. Only difference is that it doesn't fold at 90deg like on older models but at 30deg. You don't need to remove the capping piece.

Once at the 30deg angle, you just push the wiper blade towards the windscreen (whilst holding the arm) so it slides out. Wiper blade is clipped in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the actual arm does come away from the glass? Reason I’m asking I’ve removed the old one , the new one looks slightly different but not I can’t get neither back on . It’s quite hard to see in a 1inch gap upside down 😂

·
Registered
135 Posts
So the actual arm does come away from the glass? Reason I’m asking I’ve removed the old one , the new one looks slightly different but not I can’t get neither back on . It’s quite hard to see in a 1inch gap upside down 😂
Look at the post higher up by @veeeight. That is at far as it goes. You have to push the wiper blade in to lock the clips. A trick you might want to use if you find it difficult to push in, is to grease the clips on the wiper blade. It snaps in easier like that...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Alexcannas & Mark, thanks for your comments. I had almost given up on this one as the Mercedes garage technician was adamant that the arm had to be completely removed in order to replace the rubber blade. Many thanks again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts