Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time lurker but first time poster here. I’ve a 2016 a200 FL that’s been wonderful to me until recently where I took it on a 300km drive where suddenly my check engine light came on on the freeway at 160km/h, first blinking then static, followed by what I presume is limp mode. The car felt like it had misfiring cylinders and no power at lower revs (2-2.5k rpm). I continued driving the car back home and planned to take it to the dealers in the morning. Fast forward the next day, I started the car and the CEL was gone along with all symptoms I had but since I’ve already booked an appointment I went ahead to the dealers to get it checked. Mercedes told me that when they plugged their scanner in they couldn’t find any fault codes and couldn’t replicate the fault and proceeded to tell me it’s fine. They did some “testing” as well but I’m still not sure what they tested though. So my question is that is this something normal for this model? And is ignoring the CEL a good thing?
Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It may be that the cel picked up a fault. Then the fault cleared. Then the cel.cleared.
This sometimes happens with emissions for example but usually it needs a certain number of starts while under no fault to clear the cel.
Had you filled up recently?
As for driving with a cel lit. Unless you know the code then you dont know whats wrong. So cant really know if it has the potential for damage or not. Thats why it goes into limp home. To get you home while limiting the potential for making things worse.

Edited to add. Flashing usually indicates a bigger problem is occurring. Like a misfire. Maybe that was the issue then cleared on next start

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be that the cel picked up a fault. Then the fault cleared. Then the cel.cleared.
This sometimes happens with emissions for example but usually it needs a certain number of starts while under no fault to clear the cel.
Had you filled up recently?
As for driving with a cel lit. Unless you know the code then you dont know whats wrong. So cant really know if it has the potential for damage or not. Thats why it goes into limp home. To get you home while limiting the potential for making things worse.

Edited to add. Flashing usually indicates a bigger problem is occurring. Like a misfire. Maybe that was the issue then cleared on next start
Hi thanks for the reply, iirc I refuelled around a week before the trip. Would this have caused the cel to light up?
And if the fuel was the problem wouldn’t it continue to be a problem until I drain the tank I was using?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im not sure what the petrol uses but I would imagine its coil packs. It could be a coil pack was giving an issue. A plug not behaving. All of these can be intermittent but would usually expect to get worse.

Bad petrol i would expect to give an ongoing issue but strange things happen.

I saw it once with my petrol filter (previous car) would misfire and stuter for small periods and then run fine. Finally left me at side of the road. Got towed home and then car started and ran fine again for a while. Changed filter and never had it again
P

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sure what the petrol uses but I would imagine its coil packs. It could be a coil pack was giving an issue. A plug not behaving. All of these can be intermittent but would usually expect to get worse.

Bad petrol i would expect to give an ongoing issue but strange things happen.

I saw it once with my petrol filter (previous car) would misfire and stuter for small periods and then run fine. Finally left me at side of the road. Got towed home and then car started and ran fine again for a while. Changed filter and never had it again
P
I took the car to an Indy mechanic and he found out that my spark plugs were more or less going bad so I had them replaced. Hopefully that was the cause of the CEL and misfire but nonetheless even the Indy mechanic can’t confirm that this would solve the issue. The spark plugs were steep though it cost me 200 dollars including labour to replace. Anyhow, thanks for ur help dude really appreciate it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
No problems. Hope that sorts the issue. Spark plugs are way ahead of the old couple of quid check the gap and bung em in days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts