Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

Check Engine Light

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Sambo1997 
#1 ·
Hi all my a180 just got a check engine light and I have no ideas what it is I have checked the fuel cap but that’s tight and as a newbie I don’t have an obd adapter. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Check engine light can be lot of things, if you don't have a ODB reader or don't want to go to the dealership.
You can disconnect the battery and reconnect it, this sometimes resets the check engine light. (Note that this won't work if you got a serious problem)

#7 ·
Had the check engine light come on yesterday during the hot weather in UK. Its permanent amber now, checked again this AM and still showing. There were no obvious problems with the engine.

I have the car booked in for +2 weeks time. There seems to be some reference online to the light possibly resetting after 20 mins of driving if nothing is wrong (sensor trip etc). Does anyone have any insight? Is it worth risking a quick drive?

2 year old A180.

#8 ·
I had mine come on after sitting on the drive during the previous hot spell. Had a drive, left it for a spell, went off and hasn't come on since.

#9 ·
In very hot weather, fuel vapour can overwhelm the charcoal evap canister causing the CEL to illuminate. Everything should revert back to normal once it cools again, but if you open your fuel filler cap to relieve the pressure, that might also work.

it will also incur the wrath of Greta.

Of course if the CEL stays permanently illuminated I should press the overhead Me button to get their advice.

#10 ·
I have also had the check engine light (amber, permanent on). Took the car to the dealer and it was a known issue, solved with a software update. Did not turn on since the update, except for a few seconds after starting the engine. Was probably caused by some timing issues with some sensors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.