Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I will be getting my Amg sport 200 Cdi on Saturday and can't wait. I did however want the a220 but wanted manual so stuck with this model. As I would love extra torque and bhp I'm considering buying a chip from chip express , coss around 400 pounds!!

It says it will boost bhp to 170 from the 136 and increase torque to and increase mpg?

My question is would any of you risk this and buy the chip and has anyone used chip express before or heard of them?

Comments would be great!!

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Greg

Welcome and congrats!

Havent had any personal experience with diesel tuning boxes but, personally, id be happier if i knew the car had been available for a longer period for more test subjects to try one out before me, to ensure no fault codes are thrown up etc as a result. I know these are plug and play but id be a little concerned about potential problems and warranty status.

Generally though ive heard of a lot of people being very pleased with the power/torque results.

Without doubt though it will put more stress and strain through other components like clutch, gearbox etc etc. These diesel tuning boxes arent real engine re-maps but a way of making the existing ecu run in a different manner.Manufactures do not set up cars to their max from factory, to allow for poor maintenance, heavy use, a bit of abuse etc, so generally i believe there is scope within existing components to run higher performance figures, but i would be very diligent about caring for it.I'd ensure i was using the best oils and keep well on top of servicing etc.

I thinkthey sometimes come with self adjustable levels for performance. As tempting as it would be,if itook a chance and installed one, id keep to the more modest side rather than the full wack.

Id also ask Chip Expresshowthey have designedtheir product, i.e. have they had a test car at their disposal?

Edited by: reza

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good advice there. I assume the Renault engine used in the A200 has been around a while in Renault's own models so hopefully there is a history of these boxes being used with the engine even if it wasn't fitted to an A Class at the time?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks mon2s ....

Good shout about the renault engine. Cant think whether these are totally new design engines or existing designs.

The A200 cdi alreadyhas the highest torque for the manual box and clutch on the A-Class

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ooops - you are right JBraddick! Apologies - I hadn't realised the A200 used a 1.8 litre version of the same OM651 engine block as the 2.1 litre engine developed by MB.

Having read up on the 1.5 Renault engine, even that has been given a pretty hefty makeover to make it more MB.

MB engines - web article

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

I am also very keen on theese chips. To be honest i would love to get extra torque on my A180.

According to my time spent on google, all i can say is that is a risk. No one have 100% of the security of the chips.

I will use my A180 as a company car so i cannot that the risk, but would love to try the difference with the chip.

Update us on your experience. Thank you

tiago

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Greguk - i am using Racechip on my Citroen Ds4.I would highly recommend it as its a quality German made product.
Considering that for my a250 later.
Cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
JBraddick said:
Its a Renault engine in the 180 and a full merc in the 200 up

Not quite correct the 180 manual is the Renault engine but the 180 in the DSG is a pure Merc engine.

For interest I have a DTUK tuning module fitted on the pressure rail and turbo and the difference is noticeable :) with no trace when removed from the vehicle

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just be carefully with tuning boxes as they work by over supplying fuel to the engine which affects the accuracy of your fuel gauge & mpg readout & can cause premature failiure of the diesel injectors. . Much better off with a remap which alters your timing, airflow & turbo boost to match the increased fuel flow through the injectors. More costly but better results but admittedly will stick out like a sore thumb if put on a main dealer computer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts