Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone removed the top half of the door handles (chrome bits) and had them painted? The chrome is starting to get to me... Do they just pop off?

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
Tbh I don’t notice it with a grey colour car. Didn’t on my last white one either. Maybe a red car would show up the chrome.

·
Super Moderator
3,309 Posts
Just get it wrapped. There's a faint possibility it might reduce the effectiveness of the keyless entry in extremis, but lots of people have had it wrapped and it's worked for them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do they just pop off? Or are they a pain to remove hence going the easier wrap route?

·
Super Moderator
3,668 Posts
I'm sure it's as straight forward as all that here is a link to the A35 part of the forum where some lowlife swiped just the lock part and @veeeight came up with part numbers for the replacement. A wrap might be the best route Stolen Door Lock Cap on A35

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’ve got mine wrapped in gloss black. Doesn’t affect keyless entry at all. I had it done by Reep Midlands ... wasn’t cheap at all but they do a great job and have a good reputation. You can probably get it wrapped at any decent bodyshop.

Definitely looks better. I’m going to get my badges swapped out next. Don’t really have a good pic of the side but i can take one tomorrow.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I did mine, relatively easy. Loads of videos on youtube of an E or C class with same handles and how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
3,309 Posts
Hello, Pedants corner here.

When I say wrapping door handles might/will affect the performance of the keyless entry in extremis - allow me to explain what I mean by this.

When you design, produce and manufacture a component or system for a manufacturer, it needs to meet a dizzying list of standards and specifications. An example of this for the VW Audi Group can be found here:

So, cutting to the chase and explaining the keyless entry system, in the case of M-B, in the spec, will be a requirement for KESSE to work and function flawlessly, at -40 degC, whilst a person is wearing thick reindeer hide gloves with 5mm thick fleece insulation, wearing enough metal bling on your fingers to disgrace a rapper, at the same time perform flawlessly in the Gulf states at +50 degC.

So - in all honesty, wrapping your door handles won't affect UK climate operation between -10 and +30, and I doubt that you'll be wearing thick reindeer hide gloves, so 99 times out of 100, your KESSE will work once you've wrapped it.

But it will have an effect in extremis, if you change/cover/wrap the chrome section of the door handle, as you are undoubtedly altering the designed effects of the capacitance sensors in the door handles and how it interacts with the chrome sections. So someone living in the arctic circle might well be advised to leave it alone. :)

Bottom line - if it doesn't work in some situations (thunder, lightning, hail, pestilence, too many wedding rings/bling etc.) - use the fob buttons!

As you were.

·
Super Moderator
3,668 Posts

When I say wrapping door handles might/will affect the performance of the keyless entry in extremis - allow me to explain what I mean by this.

When you design, produce and manufacture a component or system for a manufacturer, it needs to meet a dizzying list of standards and specifications. An example of this for the VW Audi Group can be found here:

So, cutting to the chase and explaining the keyless entry system, in the case of M-B, in the spec, will be a requirement for KESSE to work and function flawlessly, at -40 degC, whilst a person is wearing thick reindeer hide gloves with 5mm thick fleece insulation, wearing enough metal bling on your fingers to disgrace a rapper, at the same time perform flawlessly in the Gulf states at +50 degC.

So - in all honesty, wrapping your door handles won't affect UK climate operation between -10 and +30, and I doubt that you'll be wearing thick reindeer hide gloves, so 99 times out of 100, your KESSE will work once you've wrapped it.

But it will have an effect in extremis, if you change/cover/wrap the chrome section of the door handle, as you are undoubtedly altering the designed effects of the capacitance sensors in the door handles and how it interacts with the chrome sections. So someone living in the arctic circle might well be advised to leave it alone. :)

Bottom line - if it doesn't work in some situations (thunder, lightning, hail, pestilence, too many wedding rings/bling etc.) - use the fob buttons!

As you were.
Jeese too much time and to little to do @veeeight

·
Super Moderator
3,309 Posts
Years of working for various German auto manufacturers reduce you to a comatose robotic state .....

·
Registered
118 Posts

As you were.
Naaah, still not convinced 😁

·
Registered
178 Posts
I found these online, gloss black covers for the door handles, they have a cutout for the sensors for keyless.

They do 3 versions, one with no cutouts, one with just the drivers, and a set with all 4 cutouts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anyone removed the top half of the door handles (chrome bits) and had them painted? The chrome is starting to get to me... Do they just pop off?
I had mine removed and painted to match the Magno Designo Grey original of the rest of the car. They look great. I hate chrome so they had to go.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi.. its a difficult one for the red cars... I think I would like the colour changed, however the silver on the wheels and badges just saves it I think.... although Red I think would be better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts