Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!Following on from Mbznuts comments on black alloys being soft and easy to scratch has anybody got any tips on how best to keep them pristine and what product to use? I've used Mer as a polish in the past is that any good or is there something that's proven better?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have been using meguiars nxt shampoo and nxt wax with meguairs washmitt ( i keep a seperate ,wheel only one ) detailing brushes, microfibres cloths and sponge applicators. Always use two bucket technique, and wash them once a week every week (I know I'm obsessive).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mbznut said:
I have been using meguiars nxt shampoo and nxt wax with meguairs washmitt ( i keep a seperate ,wheel only one ) detailing brushes, microfibres cloths and sponge applicators. Always use two bucket technique, and wash them once a week every week (I know I'm obsessive).

Thats not obsessive mate .... thats called good practice

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks reza .... That makes me feel better I'm getting a complex as my wife thinks I have lost the plot! Saying something about mental health assessment and why don't I marry the car!

·
Registered
373 Posts
ask her why she doesnt use fairy liquid to wash her hair,chip panoil for conditioner, and a frying pan scourer instead of a shower puff ....lol

just kidding chap, dont ask her that!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would use flash(or any other brand)all purpose cleaner, its great at de greasing and cuts right through dust and dirt. After that use Iron-X to get rid of all the harmfull deposits then a good wheel polish/sealant, I use FK1000P.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had black wheels on my Golf for the last 3 years.
I generally always snowfoam my car when cleaning, so I let the gunk run off for 10 minutes.
I then rinse with a power hose, and apply some Bilberry wheel cleaner - and leave that to soak for 5-10 mins.
I have a Meguiars wheel brush that I use to clean the face of the wheel, and then a EZ Detail Brush that I use to clean inside the wheels - and a mini version for between the spokes. The EZ Detail brush is far more expensive than most, but you can feel the quality.
Afterwards, I rinse, then dry with a microfibre cloth... before applying some Poorboys wheel sealant.

3 years later, and I still have no scratches! Everyone likes their own methods and brands - so I'm not by any means saying mine is correct!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds good p3eps.
I'm not impressed at all with the wheels on my engineered. The paint or lacquer is softer than any other wheels I have known. I have picked up a few chips in them now. Went to merc on sat and bought an obsidian black touch up stick just for the wheels. Then bought some black colour magic for the fine scratches. They look better. Bit worried what they will look like in a year!
Interested to know how other people are getting on?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Disappointed to hear that !

First thing i'll be doing is coating them in FK1000P.

As well as the whole car!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
not great that is it mbznut! .... i will be devastated with sh#gged alloys. The obsidian black is metallic though right? The alloys are flat paint im guessing? .... How does the touch up look?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quite happy with the touch up reza. I had a fit whilst cleaning the car on sat and saw little white chips, so got the touch up ASAP. I think it's quite a good match. Are the alloys flat then laquered? I assumed they were metallic and lacquered? Don t know?
Might get some fk heard good reviews about it. Wasn t sure if you could use it by hand but I think u can? I'm not confident enough to machine a new car!

·
Registered
373 Posts
only seen the alloys in the flesh once at the dealers some months back ... I just assume they are a flat black with a lacquer. This is really quite sad news, like you say a year or two down the line they wont look so great maybe.

I can well imagine the moment when you spotted them, id be fuming too.

Pretty sure you can use FK by hand, but this will only make washing the brake dust off easier. No real solution for the chips.

Are the chips on the spoke parts or the outer rim if you know what i mean?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The spokes. The fronts are the worst. The front wheels chuck up a lot of stones along the side of the car as well. I'm not sure if its just the way it is in front wheel drive cars ( haven't had fwd for years) or the crappy roads or both. Don t be put off by my OCD whining mate the car is still awesome.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Possibly due to the negative camber on the fronts ....

Need to think of a solution for the wheels, as unfortunatley i am afflicted with similar OCD

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't even got my car yet and I'm panicking!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts