Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new A200 AMG line premium in November 2019. Didn't realise that it had a collision detection system until Sunday morning when it told me that a collision had occurred the day before, and where to look for the damage. Sure enough there it was. We were visiting our son for the weekend and parked outside his house. I probably wouldn't have know about the damage until later this week when I next washed the car. Long story short, the neighbour opposite had reversed out his drive and hit my car. I only asked him if he had seen anything, then admitted it was him, shame he didn't tell me at the time...So now going through his insurance for the repair. Without the system I would have gone home and probably been a few hundred pounds poorer getting it repaired.

·
Registered
834 Posts
sorry to hear your car got hit, but as you've found out the collision detection feature works very well. I had a light bump to my rear bumper a few days after taking delivery of my car and the collision detection alerted me to the impact even though there was no actual physical damage. See the thread below:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think it’s standard on all W177 A Class

·
Registered
115 Posts
It’s part of one of the extra ‘annual subscription’ packages. I believe it’s the vehicle monitoring one at £29 per year

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the £29 subscription is just to have the collision detection linked to your phone, at the weekend my message came on the main screen in the car, (I don't pay the subscription)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good to know. How worthwhile the phone linking is will depend on how quick you receive the alert after a collision is triggered. If it’s instant you could catch someone in the act.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had the tow warning come up on the app once. I was on a ferry in the channel at the time. Needless to say I was quite relieved when I returned to find my car still there on deck!!!

Lucikly not had the collision yet :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where you can see this? Is there any section in the app? Or you will just only receive the notification?

i only have the valet protect/geofencing which is different

·
Registered
56 Posts
Eeee, what a time to be alive, gotta love technology.

Thanks for the story/info Ian - I've not had any of these messages so I was wondering what the procedure was.

Shame the cameras can't record like Tesla's sentry mode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eeee, what a time to be alive, gotta love technology.

Thanks for the story/info Ian - I've not had any of these messages so I was wondering what the procedure was.

Shame the cameras can't record like Tesla's sentry mode.
I haven't enabled anything on the car, and owing to the fact that I didn't know the car had this facility, I guess the procedure is to just wait for someone to crash into you and see what comes up on the screen....(but seriously, I hope you never get the chance to test it out).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I haven't enabled anything on the car, and owing to the fact that I didn't know the car had this facility, I guess the procedure is to just wait for someone to crash into you and see what comes up on the screen....(but seriously, I hope you never get the chance to test it out).
Or you can shake your car side ways like i did to test it. Only annoying thing is you cannot delete the notification in app. I spoke with Mercedes Me support and they said in future you will be able to do so.
B7895A8B-E0BF-460C-8CE5-2AD4DB76CD38.png 71E973C0-4EC7-4181-900F-BE7E69F9FCC4.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up a new A200 AMG line premium in November 2019. Didn't realise that it had a collision detection system until Sunday morning when it told me that a collision had occurred the day before, and where to look for the damage. Sure enough there it was. We were visiting our son for the weekend and parked outside his house. I probably wouldn't have know about the damage until later this week when I next washed the car. Long story short, the neighbour opposite had reversed out his drive and hit my car. I only asked him if he had seen anything, then admitted it was him, shame he didn't tell me at the time...So now going through his insurance for the repair. Without the system I would have gone home and probably been a few hundred pounds poorer getting it repaired.
Just had the quote for the damage.... £1000, so collision detection worked for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update...The quote for the repair is £1150, being done next week...so collision detection saved me a fortune, or more likely a claim on my insurance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had my first Collision Alarm today! Absolutely panicked thinking my newly passed sibling must've come in to the back of my car on the driveway. Turns out it was how strong the winds were! So strong, my car was rocking - with the 'damage' detected on the side the wind was coming from. Very smart piece of tech.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts