Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Great site and looking forward to learning as much as I can about the A Class.

Had my eye on the new A Class for a while and now that the AMG was officially shown at Geneva recently, I have looked into the car a little more and it has consequently gone to the top of my list as my next replacement car.

Also considering an Audi S3 or Golf R but the Merc just appeals most and looks special / different and of course there is the performance of the AMG which is staggering for a car in this class.

Drive an Audi TTS at the moment and looking for something more practical so again the A Class is perfect for this. Usually I prefer 3 door cars, but the Merc looks great as a 5 door.

As there is still very little information released for the AMG, I have a few initial questions if any of you Guys could help please.

I have never dealt with Mercedes before - how are you Guys finding the Dealers ?

I've read a few posts that discounts are not happening on the A Class, so no doubt the AMG will be zero discount too.

Consequently, are they giving you sensible part-ex prices for your current cars.

Considering the long lead times for the A class, are the Dealers giving fixed part ex prices also, even though delivery is up to 5 / 6 months ahead.

I believe the order book opens in July for the AMG and can't even hazard a guess how long delivery will be on this model, but I aint in a rush luckily, although I know the wait will be torture !

Look forward to your comments Guys

·
Registered
80 Posts
My understanding is that the A45 AMG is going to be priced around the same mark as the Audi RS3 so approx £40k, round £10k more than either that Golf R or the Audi S3. Perhaps you might want to consider the BMW M135i also?

As for Merc dealers - I ordered mine last Saturday and the chap I was dealing with has been excellent and overall the experience has been a very positive one. On the discount side, they are available but like anything you have to have the right approach, I got a pretty good trade in on my old 1 Series and then also a reasonable discount on the A Class. Lead times also depend on exactly which model you want, mine should be with me by the end of next month so less than two months for order to delivery. The more popular engines like the A200CDi are taking MUCH longer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.

Price has been confirmed @ £36k for the AMG.

S3 and Golf R prices are still to be confirmed at the moment but expect them to be around £31k to £33k ... the Merc is well worth the extra outlay though based on the spec / performance and auto box included as standard.

The BMW 135iM is a stunning car and I did ponder over that one for a while, but the only thing that puts me off is the residuals (as Bimmers tend to be company motors - and been stung before with a 330i m sport) and the fact its rear wheel drive and what with the winters we appear to have now and having had 2 x quattro TT's I like the AMG as it is also 4WD.

Glad to hear you have had a positive experience with your Dealer, that is good to hear.

Edited by: Snake Pliskin

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Snake... at that price the AMG is a steal!

I had an S3 S-tronic previously and the A-Class is far better in my opinion in every way... I have the engineered and that is fun.. the A 45 will be monster BUY IT!

·
Registered
626 Posts
The A45AMG looks stunning value - if I were in the market for that type of car, I would certainly have it at the very top of my list.
My dealer experience was excellent (although I did come across some hard selling 'wide boys' at one dealership when shopping around for the best deal). My dealer rang when he said he would, kept me updated and delivered the car a week earlier than he predicted. They also guaranteed my trade in value for 3 months from striking the deal and said that if in the worst case my new car was delayed, they would take my part ex and put me into a loan Merc.

I did get a discount on my A Class which was made in the form of a discount shown on my order in addition to a trade in figure £1000 higher than any other dealer offered.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys and thanks for the initial comments !

Had my 1st look up close yesterday of the A Class at a dealership and must confess to being impressed and loving the look of the car both inside & out.

It looks really expensive and substantial.

Coming from an Audi I am really liking the styling though. Audi is great but is feeling a bit samey at the moment.
The A Class feels fresh and modern.

Only down side was the Dealer - they were not great at all and had one of those experiences where the salesman had to keep diving into the managers office to get answers to nearly all of my questions which got quite annoying very quickly. This hampered the experience greatly, particularly as my Audi guy is extremely good.

Going to drop by another local Merc dealer over Easter and see how I get on there as having seen the A up close this has certainly increased my interest in the car.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi Snake Pilskin, I see you have a TTS. I've come to the A Class from a 2011 TT S Line (diesel) and I agree with your comment that the A is much more up to date. The TT is at the end of the day a model that launched in 2006 and it shows on the interior and the kit (Its still a stunner from outside though!). I really feel the quality in the Merc is better than the TT. Just look at the indicator stalk as an example.

Sorry to hear you've met a dodgy dealer - as I put in my earlier post, I came across one like that. Try another couple. Personally I would recommend D'Arcy in Solihull. Not pushy at all and deliberately so.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers ... yeah, I won't let the 1st poor Dealer experience put me off that is for sure.

I tell you one thing I have found though - colour choice feels limited with the A Class.
Gone through the brochure and really struggling to identify one colour which really stands out to me.</span>
Anyone else had a problem determining a colour ?</span>

</span>

</span>

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Snake.. I had major issues trying to choose a colour... went for white 1st & then changed to black... in the end opted for mountain grey as a compromise :) pretty happy to be honest but they all look good..

Have you checked out the 360 driving experience on the MB website where the video is interactive and you can swap the colours & wheels about etc.etc... spent hours on there!!

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/a-class/_w176/fascination/drive_experience.flash.html

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers mate - I had not seen that configurator before so that is useful thanks.

Does not add any more 'exciting'colours though so may still not help me :)

Mountain Grey probably does appeal the most, but it is what the majority of people appear to be choosing and I have had 2 grey cars, and its good to have a change isn't it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Designo Magno Mountain Grey was my choice from day one .... until a few weeks in to my order where i got a heartbreaking phone call telling me that this option was on the 'critical' list. Spoke with Mercedes UK and they advised that there was absolutely no info on why, and even less info on whether it will ever be available at all. Holding my order indefinately was not an option.

Are the A45 colour options exactly the same as all other A's?
Edited by: reza

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it is a little frustrating as at the moment, NO information is available at all in terms of ...

* Confirmed price (indicated £36k)
* Base Spec (Dealer was 'guessing' it may be the same as designed by amg level)</span>
* Price of Options (Dealer knew less about options than I did)</span>

</span>
In terms of paint - no idea if the AMG will have any additional colour options either !</span>

</span>
With regards to the designer mountain grey, whilst I agree it looks absolutely superb in the pictures i have seen, price to one side for a moment, as the brochure says extra cars is required with that paint finish I think I would be really scared of general care of that paint .. its bad enough with metallic when you get bird droppings or scratches.</span>

</span>

</span>

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can imagine all those uncertainties are indeed frustrating. It seems to be the norm nowadays to be a little 'slow' on allthe specifics. I guess a lot of it is to do with the fact that different countries are provided different basic specs/prices/options etc.

The matte finish paints are the same base paint with just a matte lacquer instead of gloss. They are no harder to care for, in fact you could argue they are easier as they never require (and should never be) polished or waxed, they dont suffer from swirls marks, holograms etc, bird droppings arent an issue and so on ....

Dr Beasley are highly regarded and these links are very informative:

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/06/13/matte-paint-made-easy/

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/05/matte-paint-finish-myths/

The only issue is that if a panel is damaged/scratched/chipped, a local fix can not be acieved, i.e. you cant blend. The whole panel will need respraying.

Oh and id avoid auto machine washers, although i avoid them with any car/paint etc ...

But there is always the issue of price as you say lol ....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that is very interesting - looks like the matt finish is a lot easier to care for than I thought ... much more so !

£1.8k for paint is still a load of dosh though and especially if you do set your heart on it only to be told down the line you can't have it - can appreciate how you were gutted mate.

So what colour did you go for in the end .. metallic mountain grey ?
If so, how do you find it.

I keep thinking about red - with a pano roof as an option as the tinted privacy glass and pano roof work well with red ... just not sure.

I do like the mountain grey also.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I cant express how gutted i was .... or as the youth of today would say - I was proper devo!!!

Im very decisive with cars and like what i like ... but having been told i cant have what i like, i became very indecisive lol. I went from white, to mountain grey, then blue (in honor of my current impreza) round a few more times ... then settled for sliver!! Now ive got to say that i've never liked silver as a colour. But based on a few reasons, i decided to go for it. I expect to do a fair amount of mileage, and i am very fussy about the condition of the paint, silver hides stone chips a lot better. Swirl marks are less noticable on a well cared for silver paint. I decided most people will be going for Mountain Grey and White also. This part is a bit OCD but i only like a max of three differnet colours ideally. So Silver and Blackare the only colour to achieve this (silver/black/red)I include chrome in the silver bit. And finally, having viewed one at the showroom and found some decent pics ive got to say I actually really liked silverespecially with the black on the roof.

Red has never been a favourite of mine but i must admit the pics members have posted on here look absolutely stunning, especially as you say with the pano roof!! But to 'lose' the contrast of the red accenton an engineered would be an issue for me i think ....

The Mountain Grey does look amazing too ....

I know how you feel being stuck on colour lol .....

Mycar isnt due for delivery till May, poss April so have to hope ive made the right choice for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Silver is a good choice and is almost a trademark colour for Merc ... the A class lines really suit silver and yes it is one of the best colours to care for so can appreciate where you are coming from on that angle - I never use a car wash etc either and always like my car looking clean.

Like you, I tend to know straight away what I want or like. But the offered colours on the A are just not jumping out at me and I almost feel like I am having to pick a colour be default, rather than picking out a colour which shouts at me "thats the one".

White looks great on the A but my last but one car (TT) was white and had that for 3 years.
Grey looks really nice but my last but two car (BMW) was grey.
My current car is black.
I am not keen on the blues if I am honest - the shades are not to my taste.
So that really just leaves red - which I am drawn to and would be different - but I would just need to be sure I could live with it for 3 years .... hmmmm !

So somewhere there will have to be a compromise I suspect, which is a shame, as I would have liked to have had a colour which I really wanted, rather than having to settle on a colour or take a risk on a colour.

The other problem with a limited choice of colours is that the two most popular (clearly grey and white) have the potential to become very common. But then I tell myself that is that really as issue as the A (at the moment anyway) is still an ultra rare sight on the roads, so it won't really become an issue for at least a year or two will it.

I need to see a red one up close.
This picture I found on the net IMO looks absolutely stunning in red though ....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks ... yeah the more red A's I see, the more it appeals.

Gonna be an A45 yes.

Just blown away by the power / acceleration and the prospect of being able to own a full on 'AMG' car with performance to match an Aston Marton DB9 ... that is just crazy for the money !

Extras will be thin on the ground, but I can live with that and the AMG / Engineered spec is not exactly poor is it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well im very jelous ... Ive mentioned on another thread on this forum before but the A45 is just about perfect in everyway for me. Love 2l turbo AWD/4WD. Combine that in a hatch body, designed by Merc and AMG .... its literally epic!! If i didnt do so many work miles at the moment id have taken an A45. I think maybe some years down the line, when my mileage decreases or when a face lift comes out next time round.

So an A45 in red .... I wonder how that would work with the red touches and decals etc it has??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts