Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum as I am considering upgrading from 2015 2.0 TDI Leon to an A Class.
I was intending buying a year old model, AMG Line with the max extras my budget would allow.
I was gonna stick with diesel as I didn't fancy a Renault engine, I have since learned the 180d is also a Renault. I would require similar performance to my Leon which is 150 bhp so am assuming that would be the 200d. Who manufactures the 200d engine? Am I being a snob with regard to engine manufacturer? I would prefer manual but I don't think there are as many of those available.
My Leon is a great car but I really fancy something better.
Is there any other advice/recommendations you can offer as I am starting from scratch with my knowledge of these cars.
Obviously I will not be buying any car until I have driven it.
Thanks in advance. Tony.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum as I am considering upgrading from 2015 2.0 TDI Leon to an A Class.
I was intending buying a year old model, AMG Line with the max extras my budget would allow.
I was gonna stick with diesel as I didn't fancy a Renault engine, I have since learned the 180d is also a Renault. I would require similar performance to my Leon which is 150 bhp so am assuming that would be the 200d. Who manufactures the 200d engine? Am I being a snob with regard to engine manufacturer? I would prefer manual but I don't think there are as many of those available.
My Leon is a great car but I really fancy something better.
Is there any other advice/recommendations you can offer as I am starting from scratch with my knowledge of these cars.
Obviously I will not be buying any car until I have driven it.
Thanks in advance. Tony.
As of December 2020 Builds, the 180d, 200d and 220d are all now Mercedes in house engines - however previous to this the 180d was a manufactured in conjunction with Renault. (so if you're looking at one a year old then avoid the 180d if you want a 100% Mercedes diesel). The A200d is 150bhp, and the A220d moves up to 190bhp. Also, the A200d/A220d are only available in Auto gearboxes now.
The A250 Petrol (but not the hybrid A250e) and A220 Petrol (in countries that its available) are also 100% Mercedes.

If you can stretch to it, definitely go for the Premium pack as a minimum, this is the only way that you get dual 10.25" screens as well as the 64 colour ambient lightning, makes such a difference to the interior!

·
Registered
A250 4-Matic 2021
64 Posts
Have a close look at the Mazda 3 sport. You'll be surprised. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck plus a sportier handling car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As of December 2020 Builds, the 180d, 200d and 220d are all now Mercedes in house engines - however previous to this the 180d was a manufactured in conjunction with Renault. (so if you're looking at one a year old then avoid the 180d if you want a 100% Mercedes diesel). The A200d is 150bhp, and the A220d moves up to 190bhp. Also, the A200d/A220d are only available in Auto gearboxes now.
The A250 Petrol (but not the hybrid A250e) and A220 Petrol (in countries that its available) are also 100% Mercedes.

If you can stretch to it, definitely go for the Premium pack as a minimum, this is the only way that you get dual 10.25" screens as well as the 64 colour ambient lightning, makes such a difference to the interior!
Thanks for the reply, that is really helpful. If anyone else can add any more useful information it would be most welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a close look at the Mazda 3 sport. You'll be surprised. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck plus a sportier handling car.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The Mazda is a fine car, as are the Leon's. I was seriously considering getting a specced up new Leon as I have been very happy with my current car.
Rightly or wrongly I want try a prestige car as I have never had one.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Don’t buy an A-Class on the basis of the badge.

You need to go into it with your eyes wide open.

·
Registered
A250 4-Matic 2021
64 Posts
Don’t buy an A-Class on the basis of the badge.

You need to go into it with your eyes wide open.
Having owned jag, audi and now Merc A250 I would not consider the A class as a prestige car. It's very nice and I enjoy it, but prestige - no. To get the options offered in base models of other brands you'll have to add at least 15 to 20% to the price on the Merc.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The Mazda is a fine car, as are the Leon's. I was seriously considering getting a specced up new Leon as I have been very happy with my current car.
Rightly or wrongly I want try a prestige car as I have never had one.
VW sell the Leon as an Audi A3 but both are the same car. And I got an A3 for my wife as a Seat/VW/Skoda garages are in the next town so not as convenient. I would just be cautious that buying a prestige badge will also bring prestige service costs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
I've been considering what car to go for next for a while.
I've been reading reviews and tests to try and form a balanced view of what to go for.
I have read that the A series isn't as much of step up as I imagined.
So that is why I joined the forum to get advice from you guys, and I have to thank you for be straight up and honest.
I intend test driving an A Class and a BMW 1 series with an open mind.
It's human nature to improve and I guess I felt the next step up would a Mercedes or BMW, or is there another option.
I only want a compact size car and it has to look nice.
I am fully prepared for the extra running/service costs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I came from a Leon 184 TDI DSG to an A220d.

People on this forum are right, prestige brand yes however unless you get the AMG Line Premium pack and above you will be find it very hard to get used to it.

The Leon had Ambient Lights, bigger infotainment and driver's cockpit screen size compared to my current AMG Line 7.25' screens.

I also do not have parking sensors or the auto reverse passenger wing mirror lowering function.

That's shocking for a car worth over £30k.

Thankfully, I've only got the car on a 12 Month contract lease and the engine and gearbox of the A220d does make up for all the other negatives.

But, if you're looking at keeping the A Class for 2-3 years or more then do not go any lower than A200d and make sure you get the Premium pack as a bare minimum.

Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves charging this sort of money and getting away with such spartan spec.

Don't get me wrong, great car as I says, but only if you pick AMG Line Premium pack and above.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The Mazda 3 and the CX30 are fine cars but the petrol engines are pants but these might be worth putting on your list as you want a diesel. The tech side is not as advanced as the A Class but they feel much more of a premium car

·
Registered
2019 BMW 530d, 2021 A200 Sport Exec Auto
16 Posts
My Mrs has an A Class, the badge is premium and the tech on offer is really good. I also think of all of the hatchbacks in the class, the A Class looks the best and has the nicest interior from a looks perspective. However, build quality to me feels sketchy in places (new 1 Series looks boring inside, but feels much more solid), I think you’ll find if driving a 1 Series it drives nicer and handles better. Spec wise I find the A Class good, although just with some basics being part of stupidly expensive packs. Parking sensors being part of a £1,500 pack as an example.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own A class, and its def not prestige. My next car wont be merc anymore. Il keep this for 4-5 years and i might pick tesla 3 once they start producing them in germany.
But i got to tell you one thing tho. Every time i sit in fucking GOLF i am surprised how well made it is in the inside compared to A class.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I Only have a A 180se auto. Having said that, it's a lovely car. Initially, I had buyers remorse, just niggly things that i shouldn't have had to iron out.
Another option pack that Mercedes doesn't charge for, but comes as standard, is SQUEEKS, RATTLES AND GROANS!

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
158 Posts
I'm surprised at some of these responses. I have a fully loaded 2020 A200 petrol auto (P+ DAP) which may be why I think differently. I have never had a 'premium' car, the best was an Acura (upscale division of Honda in the U.S.) which had the same type of feel as the A200. My previous UK car was a fully loaded 2018 Kia Ceed (the newly designed C'eed, and infinitely nicer), which actually had a few more bells and whistles than the Mercedes, but most were not implemented as well. I love all the gadgets and tech on my A200, and if I put it in sport mode I think the performance is excellent, amazingly so for such a small engine, but I usually keep it in comfort mode and it's more than adequate in most situations.The car is about nine months old now and has been absolutely perfect, with no build quality issues, and no odd squeaks or rattles. No, it doesn't feel premium like you might get in the E class, but to me it definitely feels quite a step up from Kia, Ford, Nissan, etc. with a beautiful interior and mostly upscale finishes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Door plastics making noise for me, door closing handle inside is cheap as ****, B pillar plastic making noise. Sun glasses holder was making rattling noise until i removed spring from the inside, A pillars i heard clicking, had to put felt tape everywhere. Doors making noise while going on uneven road. After months or searching for high quality felt tape i found it in Germany.

This seller sells many different types. I was given only 1 meter in my Mercedes shop once i asked and they told me its very expensive..

·
Registered
2020 A180 Sport Exec Manual Polar White
68 Posts
I've got a 2020 A180 Sport Exec which for some unknown reason came from the factory in Finland with 2x 10.25in screens. It has heated seats, self park, 17in alloys, auto dim/fold mirrors, sat nav, Apple car play and Android Auto etc. plus all the safety gizmos.
It doesn't have ambient lighting or a heated steering wheel but honestly it is stuffed with so much other kit and I'm not desperate to have the car glowing at night.
It does have discreet LED lights around the door opener as well.
I guess it's a compromise around which options you want vs. how much you want to spend, but I'm more than happy with all it has 🙂. The Exec pack is well worth considering.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought a 1 month old, pre registered (Sept 2019) A200 AMG line premium in October 2019 as a replacement for my VW T-Roc RLine that the VW dealership were buying back after 18 months of continual faults and niggles.

Previous to this I was a VW owner for a number of years, Tiguan and Mk 7 Golf. I had the Golf from new for 5 years and was due for a change, but didn't want to wait another 12 months for the Mk 8 to be released, so bought the T-Roc. Even though it was the top spec car you could tell that VW were starting to save money with the interior. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the Mk 7 golf, (the Mk 8 has gone the same way), hard plastic, covers missing where there previously would have been one, metal rod to hold up the bonnet rather than gas strut, etc etc..

As a replacement I was seriously considering the new Mazda 3, with the car I looked at having everything on you could ever want. For some reason I popped into the local MB dealer and they had the A200 AMG line premium, and once I sat inside, the Mazda was forgotten.

I had the car for a year and loved it, only changed for the new GLA 200 just to give us a slightly higher driving position, (getting a little older now), Same spec, same colour AMG line premium cosmos black.

I've found the 1.3 engine does everything we need. We even tried the Audi Q3 before we bought the new GLA, which as you would expect was quite similar to the T-Roc inside. IMO the GLA was much better.

People are correct, The A class is not C/E class, but it is a lovely car. I had and still have no regrets.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a 1 month old, pre registered (Sept 2019) A200 AMG line premium in October 2019 as a replacement for my VW T-Roc RLine that the VW dealership were buying back after 18 months of continual faults and niggles.

Previous to this I was a VW owner for a number of years, Tiguan and Mk 7 Golf. I had the Golf from new for 5 years and was due for a change, but didn't want to wait another 12 months for the Mk 8 to be released, so bought the T-Roc. Even though it was the top spec car you could tell that VW were starting to save money with the interior. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the Mk 7 golf, (the Mk 8 has gone the same way), hard plastic, covers missing where there previously would have been one, metal rod to hold up the bonnet rather than gas strut, etc etc..

As a replacement I was seriously considering the new Mazda 3, with the car I looked at having everything on you could ever want. For some reason I popped into the local MB dealer and they had the A200 AMG line premium, and once I sat inside, the Mazda was forgotten.

I had the car for a year and loved it, only changed for the new GLA 200 just to give us a slightly higher driving position, (getting a little older now), Same spec, same colour AMG line premium cosmos black.

I've found the 1.3 engine does everything we need. We even tried the Audi Q3 before we bought the new GLA, which as you would expect was quite similar to the T-Roc inside. IMO the GLA was much better.

People are correct, The A class is not C/E class, but it is a lovely car. I had and still have no regrets.
Yes, I agree. As I said in my post, I had initial niggles that the dealership should have sorted, but didn’t. Now that I have, I am pleased with the performance and comfort, also the mpg is incredible! I have a pedal box fitted that has also removed the pedal lag and enhanced the performance.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts