Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum as I am considering upgrading from 2015 2.0 TDI Leon to an A Class.
I was intending buying a year old model, AMG Line with the max extras my budget would allow.
I was gonna stick with diesel as I didn't fancy a Renault engine, I have since learned the 180d is also a Renault. I would require similar performance to my Leon which is 150 bhp so am assuming that would be the 200d. Who manufactures the 200d engine? Am I being a snob with regard to engine manufacturer? I would prefer manual but I don't think there are as many of those available.
My Leon is a great car but I really fancy something better.
Is there any other advice/recommendations you can offer as I am starting from scratch with my knowledge of these cars.
Obviously I will not be buying any car until I have driven it.
Thanks in advance. Tony.
What Actually is wrong with the 180D ? Ive got a 69 plate a class 180d not had any problems , and im sure the new 2ltr engines are Nissan

·
Registered
110 Posts
What Actually is wrong with the 180D ? Ive got a 69 plate a class 180d not had any problems , and im sure the new 2ltr engines are Nissan
I have a A180SE. Petrol Few rattles in the beginning.Sorted now. The engine and running have been perfect, had the car for one year.
I think people hear Renault, and are cautious, but as we all know, many manufacturers use different engines that are not there own.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The motors are not 100% Renault, mercedes has taken part with the development of same as well. I cannot understand people, who are judging the ones that bought a Mercedes a class with Renault motor (as they say) and paid such a high amount. The specific motor is excellent for the job that it was made.

·
Registered
2020 A180 Sport Exec Manual Polar White
68 Posts
The motors are not 100% Renault, mercedes has taken part with the development of same as well. I cannot understand people, who are judging the ones that bought a Mercedes a class with Renault motor (as they say) and paid such a high amount. The specific motor is excellent for the job that it was made.
You're right, and don't forget they also have cylinder technology from the Nissan GTR. So are all the critics really pushing the misleading narrative that these engines are by default poor on performance/quality?
As I've said before, I've got the A180 and there are no squeaks/rattles anywhere and the performance and fuel economy are fine. The manual gearbox is superb.
It really is a nice car, I'm happy with it ☺ BTW I've been driving for more than 30 years with experience of multiple brands.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're right, and don't forget they also have cylinder technology from the Nissan GTR. So are all the critics really pushing the misleading narrative that these engines are by default poor on performance/quality?
As I've said before, I've got the A180 and there are no squeaks/rattles anywhere and the performance and fuel economy are fine. The manual gearbox is superb.
It really is a nice car, I'm happy with it ☺ BTW I've been driving for more than 30 years with experience of multiple brands.
I also own A180 AMG pack, sunroof and so on. But my problem are plastics on the doors, they are making noise just as B pillar... My car is made in 2018 tho, they might have changed some things. Just crossed my mind, I am going to record video and upload to youtube so you can check it out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also don't get the hate on the 'Renault' engines - which are actually co-developed between Mercedes and Renault. Using Mercedes tech like Nanoslide (which comes from the AMG engines!), Renault supply the main block but they are assembled in a Mercedes/Daimler plant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have to be honest, even an A Class, there is something about getting in and out of my car with that badge on the front, call me a snob but I love it! My A250 4matic was such a beautiful car, I was hard pushed to let it go but for my FL A45 fully spec’d up I have a constant grin on my face, hardest part is waiting for all the temps to come up before I put in ‘I’ mode and get all the pops and bangs going on every gear change!! 😊

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have to be honest, even an A Class, there is something about getting in and out of my car with that badge on the front, call me a snob but I love it! My A250 4matic was such a beautiful car, I was hard pushed to let it go but for my FL A45 fully spec’d up I have a constant grin on my face, hardest part is waiting for all the temps to come up before I put in ‘I’ mode and get all the pops and bangs going on every gear change!! 😊
Made me laugh! And why not? Enjoy. Lol!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
All, I started a thread several weeks ago titled 'Considering an A Class'.
I knew very little about Mercedes and A Class and I have to thank you all for your contribution and correcting me on some of the prejudices I held.

Well, I have just acquired a 20 Plate A200 AMG Line Premium, Auto.

I have to say at this very early stage I am loving it.
At the moment I am trying to acquaint myself of all it's equipment and how best to set it up.
I would greatly appreciate any tips and advice that could be of help, or point me in the direction of threads already containing this information.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Well done a great choice. I'm guessing you have the double 10" screens.

My suggestion is that you just take time to go through the options and menus yourself, ideally in a garage, so the neighbours don't start giving you strange looks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have never used Android Auto.
Is it worth £300 to get the extra functionality. Currently I just stream Spotify from my phone.
Also, other than from Mercedes has anyone managed to purchase a compatible lead with the male and female usb c connectors?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also use Android auto rarely… but i have no regrets for purchasing same. In some occasions google maps or waze is far more updated than the built-in navigation…

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have never used Android Auto.
Is it worth £300 to get the extra functionality. Currently I just stream Spotify from my phone.
Also, other than from Mercedes has anyone managed to purchase a compatible lead with the male and female usb c connectors?
I guess people have their own preferences but I have never used Android auto in the car (apart from trying it initially) I always use spotify to stream music via bluetooth and I always use the inbuilt MBUX sat nav. AA was part of the package on the car, but personally I wouldn't pay the £300.

I tend to use Anker products for leads etc, always seem to work well. I bought a usb c to usb c for around £8

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My phone connection is also a USB c so I'm gonna try a c to c lead and not the adapter recommended above.

Also wandering if I have older software as my colour options are in a list and not shown as graphical spectrum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My phone connection is also a USB c so I'm gonna try a c to c lead and not the adapter recommended above.

Also wandering if I have older software as my colour options are in a list and not shown as graphical spectrum.
sounds like you have the multi colour option ticked in the right of the screen, untick that and it should change :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for that Duggy, found it and OK now.

I've been trying the auto park function , not been successful yet. Any tips or just trial and error?

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
I've been trying the auto park function , not been successful yet. Any tips or just trial and error?

** Late 2020 cars onwards may find that they can only park end on in bays, and not parallel park. See this thread:

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Work your way through this thread for further tips

21 - 40 of 40 Posts