Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the orange “coolant” message appear intermittently?
I have an A220 and this message displays on start up intermittently for the past couple of weeks.
I called into the dealer as I was concerned as I’ve only covered 3000 miles.
Sod’s law, the message didn’t come on for dealer.
They checked the coolant level and said everything looked ok but to book it in if it keeps happening.
Don’t really want to waste further time for the message not to appear again at garage.
Anyone else had similar?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it a few times going down my very steep drive. I gave it a very small top-up and didn't see it again.
Thanks for your reply, I’ll keep my eye on the level and see how it goes.
Seems a bit random on mine but could be related to angle of car, I’ll bear it in mind.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update on this thread for the benefit of anyone else having this issue in future .....

The warning light became more frequent and MB diagnosed a fault with the auxiliary coolant pump.
This was replaced under warranty as a ‘while you wait’ booking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had the ‘Top up engine coolant’ message displayed on my dashboard quite frequently. I was just wondering if I should use a specific product and what you use to top up your Mercedes. It’s an A180d.

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
It should tell you the spec of the coolant in your handbook:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had the ‘Top up engine coolant’ message displayed on my dashboard quite frequently. I was just wondering if I should use a specific product and what you use to top up your Mercedes. It’s an A180d.
I’m also not able to see the colour of the existing coolant. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've recently been getting a "top up coolant" message on my car. Looking on BeVo and in the car user manual, it does't actually say which spec to use for a A200 engine. I've looked on the halfords website and that shows "Comma G40 Antifreeze" as the recommended coolant for the car. Does anyone know if this is definitely suitable for the A200 W177 engine? If it's not, what have you used?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I personally would get some OEM stuff from mercedes. You never know what will happen if you mix different chemicals. Don’t give Mercedes an excuse to invalidate the warranty. They may even top up for free!

·
Registered
93 Posts
More importantly, you should never need to fill coolant.
Never opened a bottle in eight cars and a million miles. Seriously.
Dealer it mate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this the other day. Not seen it since. Car was sat there for a good day and a half in cold temps without being started/driven?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Coolant doesn't just 'drop' because the car is sat still or its a bit chilly outside.
It's either leaking onto the floor, or leaking internally and being burnt in the engine.
The system is sealed. If the cap is dodgy then it can lose liquid, and that would be the best result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took delivery of my new A250 last week. On Sunday, after hitting 180 miles on the clock I saw a 'coolant level low' message appear. The tank looked very low with coolant. I assumed it simply needed topping up but thought I'd give Mercedes Assistance a call just in case. Pleased I did as the Technician said the system was leaking and unable to maintain any pressure - he assumed it must have been due to a faulty part fitted at the factory. It's now at my local dealership being investigated but wondered if anyone else has seen/heard of this? It's just disappointing to get this on a brand new car so not too happy right now...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not an issue I have experienced myself but I hope it all works out and soon.

Welcome to the forum also :)

·
Registered
2020, AMG45S
5 Posts
This part here had a split in it pissing COOLANT all over the engine

Part isn’t in the country will take 7 days to come in gutted I’m only 2500 miles in

I’m glad recovery bloke found it

·
Registered
2020, AMG45S
5 Posts
hi all so still not repaired part comes in tomorrow I need your advice now I have purple coolant spilled all over the engine what's my options on getting this cleaned?? I can't leave this like that.

Do Mercedes have a valeting service you can trust? is it risky getting a detailer to give under the hood a clean ??

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
193 Posts
hi all so still not repaired part comes in tomorrow I need your advice now I have purple coolant spilled all over the engine what's my options on getting this cleaned?? I can't leave this like that.

Do Mercedes have a valeting service you can trust? is it risky getting a detailer to give under the hood a clean ??
I'm sure Mercedes do it all the time with their used cars. They are certainly responsible for getting it cleaned up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts