Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
A200 Premium Plus
50 Posts
I'd put a complaint in to MB HQ if they won't rectify it. At the end of the day, you have bought a brand new vehicle and it has been fitted with a faulty part which has failed. That has led to damage to other parts which they should rectify.

·
Registered
2020, AMG45S
5 Posts
I need to find an email or contact for mb hq

mbuk put me through to service and they couldn’t care less.

I agree they should rectify this
When I sell this on the new owner would not be impressed seeing purple liquid splashed everywhere

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had my A Class now since December 2018, but after my third service in December 2021 I’ve intermittently had a ‘coolant level low’ warning message pop up. The car is only just 3 years old and has done 17500 miles. I phoned Mercedes about the problem over Christmas and they suggested topping it up with a bit of water or coolant to see if it goes away. When opening the bonnet it looks as though there is plenty of coolant to me so I’m reluctant to mix it with water and/or new coolant myself. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I’ve attached a photo where you can see the pink fluid towards the bottom. I’m not a huge car enthusiast so I’m not entirely sure if this would be deemed low.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
Quite honestly, up to half a mug of plain water will not make that much of a different to the coolant strength (in the UK, as we rarely see winter temperatures down to -36degC), so I'd go ahead and top it up that way.

Or if you're really concerned, you can go buy ready-mixed coolant (G40? Check first).

The coolant level is checked (when the engine is cold) by opening the cap, and seeing if the level is above the "T" shaped piece of plastic in the expansion tank.

What Coolant do I need?

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
If you have an A45 and get the Coolant Level Warning - see this thread:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Just an update for those interested.

I checked the level and it indeed looked low. I rang Mercedes to book it in for a check as the car was serviced and MOT'd on the 26th November. They told me that there was a small leak 'behind the thermostat' (whatever that means) but a leak nonetheless. My car's warranty was due up on the 30th November (4 days after my service). The coolant light came up a few days after my service, but It was intermittent and didn't come up all the time. By the end of December it was coming up more often, maybe 2 or 3 times on a 20 minute journey. I had only driven my car locally, having done 374 miles since the service. They told me the materials can 'deteriorate over time' which I find utterly convenient that it occurs just outside the warranty period. I'm bewildered as to how a car with 17524 miles on the clock, that's barely driven very far, has sprung a leak of this kind. They quoted me £658 for repair to my dismay.

Does anyone have any advice / guidance on how might be best to avoid paying this or at least getting a contribution from Mercedes? Surely they would acknowledge that a car of this age with such low mileage shouldn't be experiencing this problem.

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
If the car has FULL Mercedes Service History, you have a reasonable chance of getting it sorted under Mercedes warranty, especially with that mileage.

I would call the Customer Service number on your door sill asap, and relay them the full story.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts