Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so on the way to work I got a low tyre pressure warning, so I went to add some air using the pump provided but I can’t find the 12V anywhere, where is it?

cheers.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Under the flap in the space in front of the cup holders.

Unless you’ve got the same issue as this guy...,

Please report back!

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I found it, I was in a rush and completely over looked it haha!

I seem to have a slow puncture though. I filled the tire up to 250KPA yesterday evening and then this morning it had dropped down to 190KPA.

I ran over something extremely hard on the motorway, I didn’t even see it, I felt the ******* though. It literally threw me into the right hand lane (so much for “lane assist”)

I’m gutted because the tire is brand new and I’ve only had the car a couple of month, so I’m hoping nothing is damaged too badly and it’s just the tire. I’m going to have to take it to a tire shop to see what damage has been done.

This is the first time I’ve ever had anything like this happen, never had a slow puncture before. What is the likely outcome, could someone put my mind at rest? I’m thinking a brand new alloy wheel because the current alloy has been cracked or something else just as terrible haha!

Can’t really be doing with this as it’s hard to go about daily life as it is with everything going on right now. Pretty bummed out to be honest.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Let us know what it was.

in all probability, it was an impact large enough to disturb the seal between the bead and rim, and just requires resealing and reseating again.

Or you were unlucky and damaged the TPMS valve.

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh it’s full on ******. I’m taking it to ATS on Friday, I’m really not sure what to do. Never had this happen before.

I’m a welder by trade and repair cracked welds/ pipe on a daily basis. These welds are then X-rayed to ensure the joints are properly fused. If I was to do this myself, I’d want the weld metal to be X-rayed to ensure it’s going to be safe under load and for my own piece of mind. I haven’t got access to X-ray equipment, and I can’t exactly expect my work to X-ray it haha!

I’m not entirely sure how cracked alloy wheel repair shops work, but I really can’t imagine they x-ray/ weld test their work to ensure maximum safety, as they would need to be NDT qualified to do so.

So it’s looking like a new alloy wheel. Do I go through Mercedes? Or ask my insurance? What are my options guys, I’d really appreciate some guidance and hear other people’s experiences with this kind of thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
In the first instance I’d press the Me button to get through to AMG customer services to register the fact that the alloy has cracked, when you don’t think it should have.

Then head over to the Facebook Mercedes AMG A35 Owners Group
Put up a new post about your cracked alloy.
I remember a couple of other people on that group also had cracked alloys, but can’t find the posts now.

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the first instance I’d press the Me button to get through to AMG customer services to register the fact that the alloy has cracked, when you don’t think it should have.

Then head over to the Facebook Mercedes AMG A35 Owners Group
Put up a new post about your cracked alloy.
I remember a couple of other people on that group also had cracked alloys, but can’t find the posts now.
I’ve not got Facebook, but I’ll message Mercedes through the Me app. I mean, should this kind of thing be happening?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Alloys can and do crack. It all depends on the circumstances of the impact.

Here’s what M-B show regarding some genuine/fake alloys.

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rang Mercedes Me and he told me to see what ATS say and then go from there. It’s looking likely ill be paying for a new alloy, which I don’t mind doing. It’s just an expensive inconvenience. Any chance insurance or MB could pay out?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Many cracks can be TIG welded successfully as you know, but the inspection is likely to be visual as opposed to ultrasound or x-ray lol.

You may choose this route, after your eyes water when you find out the cost of an alloy.....

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many cracks can be TIG welded successfully as you know, but the inspection is likely to be visual as opposed to ultrasound or x-ray lol.

You may choose this route, after your eyes water when you find out the cost of an alloy.....
I’ve seen them on here for £800.

I mean, of course £800 is a lot, but would I be stupid to spend that amount when I could just get them repaired/ welded? I’m just skeptical as to how good a job will be done.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Me myself, I’m more comfortable having a TIG repair in the well of an alloy wheel (where yours appears to be), than on the load bearing rim section of the wheel.

You probably can claim on your car insurance (it is after all accident damage) but you’ll have to pay an excess, possibly lose your no-claims bonus, and have to declare a claim for the next 5 years for every renewal, which will bump your premium up.

But one step at a time, see what ATS say, they will have seen plenty of cracked wheels.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Don't waste your money on a brand new alloy wheel. These guys have been repairing far worse damaged wheels than yours, with no combacks, for many years.

I can vouch for @Chow Gar’s recommendation for Lepsons. I’ve used them in the past to refurb a set of alloys that we badly corroded on the inner rims and they did a brilliant job

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another shout out for Lepsoms by the way, I live very close and know the guy that started the Company. They do a great job and work for many of the main delaers direct which should tell you everything you need to know about the quality of their work.

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I’ll consider Lepsons if I get to that point. For me right now it all depends on cost. I’ve absolutely no idea how much it would be for a company like Lepsons to repair the crack. If it’s in the region of £400+ then I’ll probably just buy a new rim.

Below that then I’d likely consider getting Lepsons to repair it. But by time I’ve driven there (Kent is 230 miles from where I live...) paid for fuel, I’ve not got much money left for the actual refurbishment itself.

You likely think I’m being pedantic, but welds can fail which is why I’m skeptical. Even if I did it myself and got it dye penetrant tested at my work, I’d still be concerned.

Otherwise what is to say that weld won’t fail again a few months later, after paying out a load of money when I could of just bought a new rim which hasn’t previously lost any form of it’s structural integrity.

The crack may be fused, but the heat affected zone will forever remain a weak point in the metal.

If I didn’t know and had seen what I’d seen during my welding career thus far, I would think nothing of letting someone weld it up.

We’re not talking about clagging up a garden gate with some TIG, we’re talking repairing a very important component on a £40,000 car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks guys. I’ll consider Lepsons if I get to that point. For me right now it all depends on cost. I’ve absolutely no idea how much it would be for a company like Lepsons to repair the crack. If it’s in the region of £400+ then I’ll probably just buy a new rim.

Below that then I’d likely consider getting Lepsons to repair it. But by time I’ve driven there (Kent is 230 miles from where I live...) paid for fuel, I’ve not got much money left for the actual refurbishment itself.

You likely think I’m being pedantic, but welds can fail which is why I’m skeptical. Even if I did it myself and got it dye penetrant tested, I’d still be concerned.

Otherwise what is to say that weld won’t fail again a few months later, after paying out a load of money when I could of just bought a new rim which hasn’t previously lost any form of it’s structural integrity.

The crack may be fused, but the heat affected zone will forever remain a weak point in the metal.

If I didn’t know and had seen what I’d seen during my welding career thus far, I would think nothing of letting someone weld it up.

We’re not talking about clagging up a garden gate with some TIG, we’re talking repairing a very important component on a £40,000 car.
So why not just buy that wheel on ebay?

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So why not just buy that wheel on ebay?
That link doesn’t work on my phone, says it’s unsecure, and when I look on eBay there aren’t any.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts