Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this problem.
Had gearbox crunch on 16 plate repaired no box replacement. Car is owned by me from new with FMBSH
Last service (4th) at end of january noted i had a wet gearbox and told nothing to worry about. Car has done 28k and now 4 years old & out of warranty.
Went for Mot it passed i asked mercedes dealer to check leak as i was getting drips on the drive. Diagnosed cost £150.
Stripped car down diagnosed Crankshaft oil leak repair cost £3200. Am waiting on mercedes to advice if this is still covered under warranty as the box has been removed before. However the dealers said they have never come across this before.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
there were cases of this in the past, an ex owner had the same issue occur just as he was trading it in so didnt bother to sort anything out on it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JB
Too late car stripped down im told dual mass flywheel has collapsed internally causing the brown colour grease leak through. Gearbox is fine! is this a weak point and warranty item.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

pic 6

pic 8

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
blimey!!!! im guessing here but if they are saying "its a previously unknown" fault then they should be assisting you with the cost of the fix, try MB Customer Services as well

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just heard back from mercedes and they are going to pay 80% of the cost due to mdsh so result in all fairness and will be without car for another week while waiting on parts from germany.
So crankshaft seal really is wrong title should of been flywheel bearing failure.
little explanation
pic 1 gearbox no damage or oil residue
pic 2 & 3 self explanatory
pic 4, 5, 6 and 8 collapsed bearing engine side (can't count)
last pic flywheel
working being carried out new flywheel bearing and seal engine side.
could this be why gearbox sometimes feel like there is a clunk many people experience

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well picked car up today after mentioned repair above complete with new small dent and chipped paint near petrol flap in dispute as they only worked on the front of the car and is left at owners risk in the carpark.
Drove away & at the First set off red traffic lights on slowing down car stalled then coasting to a stop instrument panel lit up like a christmas tree. You know the scene stuck in outside lane inpatient drivers behind beeping get a move on, car put in neutral foot on brake start engine button pressed no response pressed again fired up and off i set. Second set of traffic lights car stalled again like before gearbox felt like it dropped down a couple of gears jerking each time.
Carried on home and again at a roundabout car stalled again. Thought i would get out the 30 mile limit to warm car up and hopefully all would be fine. I have had total engine cutout after service/wash before and things seemed to right themselves with the engine off then on senario.
How wrong i was driving in comfort mode paddles wouldn't work so switched it to S then S+ and I mode still paddles not working.
Stopped turned engine off then on again hey presto gears worked again. Took it steady because of the problems i just had sail mod now also not working. 12 miles completed reversed onto my drive car stalled another 3 times parking.
Back to mercedes this time no stalling. Got out of the 30 limited accelerated overtaking slow car orange engine warning light came on finished maneuver however now had no throttle response and guess what wouldn't change gear car just cruised at 60 even when i put pedal to metal no response.
Pulled over turned engine off then on again engine warning light stayed lit. paddles worked though for a little while then back into limp mode again no throttle response.
Cruised to dealer returned keys now waiting for update.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
toys out the pram time

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i was told prior to paying for repair the car had gone out for a test drive and there was nothing wrong!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So telephone call from mb this morning telling me my crank shaft sensor was faulty and they ordered a new one. Replacement coming tomorrow. Phone call later in the day saying they got one delivered and fitted and are now going to test drive the car intensively to ensure everything is working fine. However they don't know why it is faulty as they never touched the component which is located quite close to the bell housing removed and the flywheel which was fitted on the crank shaft.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
100 miles test drive later told car is purring like a cat didn't miss a beat. Damage to my car wasn't there when mb reviewed video when car went in for MOT & oil leak fix so are now repairing dent as well.
So another day without car but result in the end.
Maybe time to trade in for the 45s.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got car back today took it for a thrashing behaved itself gave me an adrenaline rush and a smile on my face as various performance cars giving it the beans (M2 & RS3) were overtaken on some back roads. I thought to myself 0.3 second for an extra £25k for new A45S best wait for fl addition which would be around or sub 3.5s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts