Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says, I'd like to tweak the adaptive cruise control to stop asking me to put my hands on the steering wheel every few seconds. I'm not gonna sit back and fall asleep and I'm not drunk I just want a nice relaxing cruise on the highway and it needs to stop asking me to show I'm awake and sober. Do you guys think it's possible? I'm asking because maybe you guys had that on your previous A45 (did you?). Btw what's it gonna do if I don't comply, pull over?

·
Super Moderator
2,192 Posts
It will keep “bonging” louder, then gradually bring the car to a stop, putting all the hazards on. And then automatically call the SOS centre and they will ask you if you are OK.

The next generation of Mercedes steering wheel is capacitive, so all you need to do is rest your fingers/hand on the wheel and that will keep it happy, but with this generation, you do have to make small movements when you see the alert to keep it happy.

With the Tesla steering wheel, I did see someone wedge an orange in between the spokes and that seemed to keep it happy!

But beware, this is an “assist”, as opposed to “autonomous”.......

(I may move this thread into W177 Technical later as it has wider interest) (y)

·
Registered
385 Posts
You are referring to two separate functions.
veeeight is correct about the steering.
You also refer to it asking you to show your awake, there is a function called " Attention Assist" which you can turn off.
Have a look under:-
Settings
Assistance
Attention Assist

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I wouldn’t touch attention assist. It’s never come on for me in any of my MBs but it has for a couple of taxi drivers who have been driving me and probably quite justifiably. It’s also not anyway as regular as the lane assist and works very well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Semi autonomous driving systems such as adaptive cruise will always ask you to do something to prove you are still there - touch the steering wheel, push a button, whatever. The reason is that currently the car cannot become the driver, this has to be a person. There are all sorts of challenges around (semi-) autonomous driving systems. For example, if a car is self-driving and a mother & baby cross the road unexpectedly and the car cannot stop in time, it may have to choose between running them over or evade and crashing into a tree by the side of the road, potentially killing the occupants. Who is responsible for such an action? The car manufacturer? The driver? The person that designed the self-driving software? This is a legal nightmare right now.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I understand Tesla are currently trialing their fully autonomous system as we speak. But from having looked into the Model 3 before going for the A45s. If you pay the arm and a leg for their current autonomous driving package it does everything you could want on the motorway keeping within the speed limit of course I believe.

·
Super Moderator
2,192 Posts
You can always subscribe to it monthly ;)

Roll on other subscription based options!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I understand Tesla are currently trialing their fully autonomous system as we speak. But from having looked into the Model 3 before going for the A45s. If you pay the arm and a leg for their current autonomous driving package it does everything you could want on the motorway keeping within the speed limit of course I believe.
They are, but you still have to touch the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You can always subscribe to it monthly ;)

Roll on other subscription based options!

Good spot @veeeight. If I buy one in future I'll just add it to my other subscription services.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@veeeight Thanks. An orange huh? That's clever. Maybe I'll use a shoelace and keep it happy with my foot. You don't think that would be illegal do you? o_O
@Ben&Sandy It was figure of speech, I'm only referring to said alert/reminder that wants to know I'm still behind the wheel. But now that you mention it I think I've read about a function that's supposed to be able to tell if you're tired and need a rest. Maybe that's the one you're referring to. For peace of mind I'd rather have that turned on, but I'll take a look see what else there is to change, thanks.
@Big_D Good points.
@Forrester I wonder how they'll work around all these issues so it can work safely in the real world.

So I take it there's no way we can get rid of the alert/reminder. I'm sure dealer will cover their ass too and refuse to turn it off even if they could.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts