Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted a dashcam? Is the fuse box still in the passenger foot well like the W176 and is it easy enough to route the dashcam power lead to it? I was thinking about letting Halfords do it but I've read some poor reviews. Also, in the settings somewhere in Mbux it mentions built in dashcam but it says it's disabled. My car has the Advanced Navigation Package so already has built-in cameras.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wish the pre-installed camera could be used as a dashcam. Hope they release an update to allow it to be used as one at some point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The on board camera/dashcam feature was pulled by merc not long ago? I've asked a question on here about hacking into it to use. Surely theres a way to use it?

I was told by my dealer last month theres no plans in the near future for the feature to be reinstated by merc.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The on board camera/dashcam feature was pulled by merc not long ago? I've asked a question on here about hacking into it to use. Surely theres a way to use it?

I was told by my dealer last month theres no plans in the near future for the feature to be reinstated by merc.
And yet they are advertising the new CLA as having dashcam.

·
Registered
73 Posts

First post here :) Hi

I've had my W177 A35 for about a month and have been wondering about dashcam fitting also..

Then I saw the Track Pace add on in the Mercedes me store. That mentions "Share video recordings with other Mercedes-AMG drivers (only available for certain model series)" which since my car has the forward facing Advanced Nav Pack camera I have assumed it would enable the dashcam function in the MBUX menu. The Camera is there.. the link to the USB is there so i'm assuming it's a software thing.

Anyone got a track pack installed to verify, I cant find any info as to what models includes the built in recording nor manuals on it's use and 260 quid is lot to spend on a "I wonder"?

·
Registered
A200 June 2018 FUP3
41 Posts
Just had a Nextbase 522 dashcam hardwire fitted by Halfords into my W177. Can't see any cables from the dashcam positioned on left hand side of rear view mirror down to the fuse box under the passenger footwell. Can confirm they did an excellent job and no damage to the car! Took the guy just 20 minutes to fit. Well worth it for the £30 fitting cost compared to the time and hassle it would have taken for me to do it myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Can you add a picture on how it was positioned and looks from outside? Does it draws attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
A200 June 2018 FUP3
41 Posts
This is how it looks from the outside. It’s positioned behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side as recommended in the manual so as not to cause distraction when driving.

The 522GW dashcam I bought has a 3 inch screen but there are smaller dashcams if you prefer. I bought the Nextbase one because I now have a new friend in Alexa to talk to in the car as well as Siri and Hey Mercedes.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Currently trying to adapt a Xiaomi 70Mai (simple/non pro version), but not very happy with the recording quality.
Also it seems to wobble a tiny bit with the original mounting, so I will try to use a clip/clamp designed to support PPR water pipes. Seems to have the same diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is how it looks from the outside. It’s positioned behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side as recommended in the manual so as not to cause distraction when driving.

The 522GW dashcam I bought has a 3 inch screen but there are smaller dashcams if you prefer. I bought the Nextbase one because I now have a new friend in Alexa to talk to in the car as well as Siri and Hey Mercedes.
Looks great. I’m in the process of fitting my 322gw. I’m having trouble finding an ignition only fuse. The adaptor supplied doesn’t fit in the fuse slots too well, and all the fuses seem to be always on! The one that I know for sure isn’t (the cigarette lighter) is in too awkward of a position to place the adaptor. Grrrrr

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fitted my own a few months ago, it was really easy and took about 20 minutes. It’s more fiddly than anything, but it’s certainly not hard. There’s YouTube tutorials on it and a few threads here that will help you out. But yes the fuse box is under the passenger footwell. The fuse diagram is located within the engine bay fuse box and helps out when looking to see where to piggyback.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,

New to the A class W177 not new to the Mercedes world,

Just thought I'd share my first Mod/upgrade.

Tried to fit nextbase dash cam using hard wire kit, for some reason un be known to me, the fuse box is full of unneeded black plastic blocking the tap a fuse from fitting the place of existing fuse.

Tried on glove box light direct to the light wiring loom, it only worked when glove box open

Finally found a solution, scraped the hard wire kit as it stopped responding all together even direct on battery.

Removed fuse 123 and attached a 12v female socket, and the other wire to earth, now I have a live socket which I located in the space on side of dash where the side panel pops off, Ran the dash cam wire down A Piller and plugged into the female 12 socket, all working now.

I know I don't have a fuse for this as not enough room for a tap a fuse on fuse box , I just wrapped the wire around the left leg of fuse 123 and pushed it back into fuse box, It is fused on the plug that goes into 12v socket as the next base plug is fused.

An easy car to take apart and put back together but a lot of unnecessary plastic and messing about, honestly 4 screws to hold the fuse box lid on,

Sorry for lack of pictures been on it too long and lost the will......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was installed on my A250 as standard accessories for front & rear by the local dealer upon delivery, 'IROAD Dash Cam' which is quite a tiny unit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is there a way to wire in a dashcam from the pinnacle where the rearview mirror is located? so that I don't have a wire from the dashcam to the cigar lighter/power plug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts