Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of you, I have been holding out for the MBUX dashcam, in my case, for a year. Then a week ago I started to think what it is I'm actually waiting for. I am guessing it will be in the range of a one time £100-£200 price, but who knows.The problem is, I also wanted a rear cam, and I also wanted wifi so I could view recordings and live view from the house, two things the MBUX can't give me. If I factor in rear cam, then that £100-£200 becomes more like £200-£300, and still no wifi for the front. So, I started pricing dashcams, settling on the new BlackVue DR750X-2CH, £303 + £55 install front and rear, at Halfords. It's not as pretty as a built in MBUX, but it gives me everything I want, and with the option of cloud connection if I want it in the future, and I don't have to wait, possibly in vain, for the MBUX solution.

I had it installed today. Very happy with it so far, and finally with the peace of mind that comes with a dashcam.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
39 Posts
Would like to share my approach, and I opted for this is due to the OEM and stealthy look.

The whole installation took me less than 10 minutes, and it doesn't require any slicing/splicing of wires.

The left is the original case, and the right hand side is the case with the built in dash cam.

This is how it looks like before the installation.

Once removed, this is what you'll see.

The kit comes with a cable kit that allows you to directly plug into the rain sensor to draw power, and it also has a sub connector to allow the rain sensor to connect and draw power in parallel at the same time. Essentially, it is a plug and play cable.

This is how it looks like after installation.

Bottom view after installing.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
39 Posts
I ordered this from China, the brand is Papago and the model name is S60.

Here is the link I purchased from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for that unfortunately can't find that model in Australia and not sure I can find my way around the Chinese site safely. If my conversion is correct they are not expensive. Scope for someone who knows the ropes to sell them on.
Thank again

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered this from China, the brand is Papago and the model name is S60.

Here is the link I purchased from.
Here's a photo for the A class, from their website:

Can you tell us if it adds more than 40mm to the assembly? I ask because of the UK law regarding placement:

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
39 Posts
Here you go, hope this helps!

The first photo is measuring the extra height that has been added to the assembly to fit the
camera.

The second photo I included the measurement of the entire assembly end to end with the tip of my measurement device touching the glass.

I think we can be quite safe to assume that it did not exceed the 40mm restriction?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here you go, hope this helps!

The first photo is measuring the extra height that has been added to the assembly to fit the
camera.

The second photo I included the measurement of the entire assembly end to end with the tip of my measurement device touching the glass.

I think we can be quite safe to assume that it did not exceed the 40mm restriction?
Thanks very much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like a lot of you, I have been holding out for the MBUX dashcam, in my case, for a year. Then a week ago I started to think what it is I'm actually waiting for. I am guessing it will be in the range of a one time £100-£200 price, but who knows.The problem is, I also wanted a rear cam, and I also wanted wifi so I could view recordings and live view from the house, two things the MBUX can't give me. If I factor in rear cam, then that £100-£200 becomes more like £200-£300, and still no wifi for the front. So, I started pricing dashcams, settling on the new BlackVue DR750X-2CH, £303 + £55 install front and rear, at Halfords. It's not as pretty as a built in MBUX, but it gives me everything I want, and with the option of cloud connection if I want it in the future, and I don't have to wait, possibly in vain, for the MBUX solution.

I had it installed today. Very happy with it so far, and finally with the peace of mind that comes with a dashcam.

View attachment 8108

View attachment 8109
Hi did Halfords hard wire your cam.
I was looking into this.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi did Halfords hard wire your cam.
I was looking into this.
Yes, £55 for the hardwire back and front. Nothing is showing, looks great. He pulled away the carpet, didn't need to remove the door sill. He ran into a problem and I don't know why, in that he couldn't find an ignition-on fuse (he is not allowed to drill through to the engine compartment firewall); he said they were all always on. Whatever he ended up doing, it is so far working perfectly with parking mode kicking in when ignition is off, and the 750X has a built in voltage checker so it doesn't drain the battery. I am able to watch live view, videos and download videos and update settings using the app while in the house with wifi to the camera. I would suggest calling Blackvue, or checking the install posts on this forum, to see how they would wire an A series so you have some knowledge going in.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yes, £55 for the hardwire back and front. Nothing is showing, looks great. He pulled away the carpet, didn't need to remove the door sill. He ran into a problem and I don't know why, in that he couldn't find an ignition-on fuse (he is not allowed to drill through to the engine compartment firewall); he said they were all always on. Whatever he ended up doing, it is so far working perfectly with parking mode kicking in when ignition is off, and the 750X has a built in voltage checker so it doesn't drain the battery. I am able to watch live view, videos and download videos and update settings using the app while in the house with wifi to the camera. I would suggest calling Blackvue, or checking the install posts on this forum, to see how they would wire an A series so you have some knowledge going in.
Just as a point of interest, as it came up in another thread. Does your camera shut down about 50 / 55 mins after entering parking mode?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just as a point of interest, as it came up in another thread. Does your camera shut down about 50 / 55 mins after entering parking mode?
I'm not sure how long it's staying on as a lot gets overwritten (32gb card at low res = 4 hours) but it's been on over two hours so far since we parked tonight.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure how long it's staying on as a lot gets overwritten (32gb card at low res = 4 hours) but it's been on over two hours so far since we parked tonight.
Quick update, it's been on in parking mode for five hours now. I have it set for motion and impact, you can set it to one frame/sec.

Regarding which fuses they used, I wish I'd taken a photo while he was doing it. My guess is they have used two always-on, which I guess is fine as when it's not on, it's in parking mode, and it will theoretically turn off if the voltage drops below 12v.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update, it's been on in parking mode for five hours now. I have it set for motion and impact, you can set it to one frame/sec.

Regarding which fuses they used, I wish I'd taken a photo while he was doing it. My guess is they have used two always-on, which I guess is fine as when it's not on, it's in parking mode, and it will theoretically turn off if the voltage drops below 12v.
final update: it stayed on all night, I have parking footage from yesterday afternoon when we parked, all the way up to right now (1pm). So I assume for those where it cuts out after 50 minutes, they are maybe using a different fuse slot, or their voltage is dropping below their threshold.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
final update: it stayed on all night, I have parking footage from yesterday afternoon when we parked, all the way up to right now (1pm). So I assume for those where it cuts out after 50 minutes, they are maybe using a different fuse slot, or their voltage is dropping below their threshold.
Not so final update. Today, the critical voltage message came on in the car (and in the Mercedes app, and in an email!). As I suspected, the Halford's installer had used two always-on fuses, because he couldn't find an ACC fuse (he convinced me at the time he had found a way around it, and he had refused to check the fuse digram that I had told him was in the front fuse compartment). I tested it by turning off parking mode (the car has been parked for six hours) in the Blackvue app, and after a minute it switched to 'normal' mode, meaning it was always on. I went out and unplugged it. Needless to say, I am calling Halford's tomorrow, and asking for a different installer to correct the fuses. Then I expect to have the same issue as others have had with parking mode turning off after 50 minutes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It took three visits to Halford's, the first two times they plugged the ACC wire into an always-on, the third time they correctly piggybacked it onto fuse 124, the cigar lighter fuse.

I now have the issue others have of the parking mode (and the dashcam itself) turning off after about 100 minutes. I don't think it's related to what always-on fuse you use as I set the voltage cutout in the dashcam to 12.3v (I received a Mercedes warning when I had it at 12v) and today I checked the MBUX engine info screen and the voltage is at 12.3v. So I assume I am usually only going to get about 90-100 minutes of parking time before the battery drains to 12.3v and the dashcam shuts itself off. I don't know if that's normal or if it should be draining much slower.

I can confirm that you don't need to remove the door sill to pull the carpet down, but it would make it much easier if you did as the carpet is tucked behind the vertical part of the door sill plastic panel and you have to work it to get the carpet down enough to get to the fuse panel. The fuse panel uses four Torx screws, but you can just about use a flat or Phillips head screwdriver.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts