Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after all the uncertainty .... does it/doesnt it make that noise when shifting up?? I had all but given up and fully expected it not to. But on the first few days of very gentle driving i was sure i could hear a very minor and short boom-ing noise and it gave me hope that as I run her in and increased the revs and accelerationit might actually make that noise.

Well, was on the M25 today and there are two fairly decent tunnels where I slipped her in to manual mode, dropped the window a smidgen, slowed her down a tad, shifted down to 3rd (probably around 4k ish revs), gave it a just a littleacceleration up to about 5k ish and popped up to 4th and it definately does make that noise. Tried exactly the same on the next tunnel and sure enough you can hear it!!

Would be very interested to hear from other engineered owners. Im expecting that once I am happy that i have run her in sufficiently in order to be able to floor it properly it will be much more obvious.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My girl was walking the dogs the other day as I was coming home. I saw her and though I'd stick in manual mode and give it some past her. She reckons it sounded like a rally car!
That's cool enough for me :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its nice to hear that the exhaust sounds are sounding good lol. Puts a smile on my face. waiting to collect mine at 4pm today

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ohhhhh buddy boy rezaa, you are far from wrong in this case mate! It does make that sound and everytime i hear it i get an eargasm! Yes it does become more prominent after u wear her in, also in "colder" weathers the boofm is alot more obvious and raspy. I'm just a shy of 2000kms on my meter and i've been driving her hard occasionally just to get the range up and down. It's been exhilarating! But yea take it easy for the first 1000k's at least, wear her in, if u respect her, she will give you the ride of a lifetime

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
loevess ...... eargasm lol!!! Nice exhaust notes have always made my earlobes quiver!

Kevybabes ...... you certainly did chap, and was about the only person on the web (worldwide) to do so I think

·
Registered
7 Posts
Majad mate,

You will have to upload pics when youve picked it up. Im excited for you!!!

I have to wait until July 14th, the wait is agonising.

Good luck.

Guys, are we all getting Exhause feedback on only Engineered versions. Or is this model wide? I'd like to knw. I have a 250 on the way, would hate if i got excited for the noise but only comes with engineered.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
only on the engineered bud, mine is raspy but not the same.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Timzb... I thought it was the AMG tweaked exhaust only on the engineered but I might be wrong

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a mountain grey A200 AMG and every time I drive it I hear a strange noise, I first thought it was coming from the engine, then I thought it was coming from inside the cabin, but then it sounded as if it was coming from the exhaust. The sound I hear is like a thud. I finally discovered what the noise was................ It was other people's jaws dropping to the floor as I drive past.
I'm glad you are all enjoying your new toys as I am mine!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Nice reply

·
Registered
111 Posts
Part of the reason why they call it Engineered by AMG is because they actually tune the exhaust note to give it a more of a sporty sound (this also is stated on MB website)</span>

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a quick question folks,

Im driving in Eco at the moment but I dont seem to hear my exhaust making any noise when it changes gear... I have put my foot down but in Eco and nothing at all.

When in neutral and I rev the engine only verly slightly can I hear a very faint poping noise.. but nothing at all when driving.

Only done 200 miles so far.. does the exhaust note get any better?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yes, yes, yes! The exhaust noise does get better! I've done 1500 miles in just two months! The sound is not so noticeable in eco but very obvious in sport! I normally only do 4000 miles annually so you can see how enjoyable the car is! One drawback is the mpg in sport mode!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've also heard to get a nice sound you can rev the car up to close on 6k (just where it is about to change up), then back off again. Someone at the dealership told me this. Still don't have mine yet to try it out though. Would definitely wait until the car is run in before revving it that high.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Not sure about the manual mode, haven't used it yet! I should think it would. I'll give it a try soon, perhaps!
Edited by: Lynne

·
Registered
112 Posts
The AMG Boof comes from AMG electronics momentarily disrupting the ignition for faster up shifts. I just don't think we're going to get that in our povo Benz electronics....there's a cool video on YouTube were old mate talks about it. The A45 also has super fast gear changes which is something I just love about the AMG cars.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My exhaust only seems loud in the morning when i literally start the engine then after that it just goes quiet. I have tested in manual but i dont want to rev the car to high so may put a couple more hundred miles on before testing properly lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts