Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering I'm from Australia but I'm guessing it is pretty much the same all over the world. BMW in Australia give a distance of 300km's that can be travelled on their runflats when they are totally flat. This is nearly 4 times the distance that mercedes says the runflats their car is using will travel. Now the manufacturers web-site for the tyres that BMW are using definately doesn't say it can travel 300Km's it actually says 80Km but that if the manufacturer specifies a different distance then listen to the manufacturer of the car. <div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

So this being my first car with runflats I'm wondering what is a realistic distance you should be able to travel in a A class on runflats should the inevitable happen and your totally without air? I don't think I want to change to normal tyres as I don't have any boot space for a spare anyway (COMAND system). But I'm thinking of getting either some type of goo like comes with the A250, or something else to plug a tyre with should I get a puncture and a compressor to blow up the tyre should I need to.

What are other people thinking of doing? Australia is quite large with some places a few hundred Km's between towns with no tyre place that will have runflats. So I'm really interested in other peoples ideas on what they will do.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
When I had my BMW it was recommended that you travel no more than 50 miles at 30mph

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checked it out, it is up to 250Km's, must have been sale person speak when they told me 300km.The below link says up to 250km
http://www.bmw.com.au/common_content/bmw/assorted_content/BMWRunFlatSafetyTyres.pdf

I'm just wondering are Mercedes just being cautious?

<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
67 Posts
The distance is variable and modified by kerb weight, style of driving and speed and the damage the puncture/blowout caused on deflation.
<blockquote style="margin-right: 0px;" dir="ltr">i.e. fully-loaded with adults and luggage ontwisting roads at speed will not allow you to travel the same distance as a lightly-loaded car on straight roads, driven at low speed.If you want to maximise the distance, consider moving the flat to the rearin a front-engined, front-drivecar.
</blockquote>
Adefinite case of - YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Edited by: IAMG

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I should try to order a TIREFIT Kit like in the A250, as that way can just pump up the tyre if it is getting flat, the distances we are all talking about is if the tyres are totally flat.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

1 - 6 of 6 Posts