Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just purchased a new build miller home and one of the must haves for the new house was to have a garage to keep the A35 in. The floor plans don’t give the garage dimensions although I have worked out roughly it will be 5m x 2.48m.

So my question is does anyone have a similar size garage and if so can you comfortable fit your a class in it? It seems to me like it is going to be quite tight.

If anyone has photos that would be a great help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's going to be tight. I would have said it's okay to park to one side of the garage but garage door openings are usually narrower than the actual garage so that may prove difficult.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The a class is a ‘small car’. I can’t imagine they would build a garage that a small car can’t fit in!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The a class is a ‘small car’. I can’t imagine they would build a garage that a small car can’t fit in!!
I know going by the size it will fit but I guess what I meant was will you be able to get out once you drive it into the garage and how tight a squeeze will it be getting through the garage door as it is narrower

·
Registered
787 Posts
So I have just purchased a new build miller home and one of the must haves for the new house was to have a garage to keep the A35 in. The floor plans don’t give the garage dimensions although I have worked out roughly it will be 5m x 2.48m.

So my question is does anyone have a similar size garage and if so can you comfortable fit your a class in it? It seems to me like it is going to be quite tight.

If anyone has photos that would be a great help.

Why not ask the builder what size the garage is

·
Registered
392 Posts
If the garage is the dimensions you state then I think it'll be a little tight. You're saying 2.5 metres wide meaning a door opening of around 2.1 metres so you'd have to park it centrally leaving you 35cm each side of the car to get out.
At the very least, glue a yoga mat to your garage wall so you don't scratch the door getting out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
slightly off topic, but i'm amazed that so many new build garages are not really designed to keep a car in but to act as additional storage while the car is kept on the driveway. I'm told you can free up quite a bit of width by converting the door to a roller system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not ask the builder what size the garage is
I will be this week when I go in to look over the drawings with the site manager. I just wondered if any other a class owners parked there cars in a single garage and if so how tight it was

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the garage is the dimensions you state then I think it'll be a little tight. You're saying 2.5 metres wide meaning a door opening of around 2.1 metres so you'd have to park it centrally leaving you 35cm each side of the car to get out.
At the very least, glue a yoga mat to your garage wall so you don't scratch the door getting out.
Yeah I have seen other people that have stuck mats/carpet tiles onto the wall to avoid any scrapes. Think I’ll be doing the same if it’s going to be tight

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I had this exact dilemma recently myself. Single integral garage. Got the tape measure out and I discovered that I'd have 4 inches either side of the wing mirrors for clearance and once in a measly 35cm between door and wall. Not good. My solution has been to sell the house and buy a far better house with a huge double garage (5m wide x 6m long} with a remote operated up and over garage door. Moving in in approx 3 months and can't wait. I'll have enough space to properly detail the car including machine polishing.

Single garage's are not built to house cars. They should be renamed "store rooms".

·
Registered
10 Posts
My A220 fits in my single garage okay. It's tight, but the mirrors fold in - you just have to park over to the left a bit! I've also put carpet on the walls to prevent scrapes. It might depend whether or not you have a supporting pillar in the middle of the garage wall - that'll reduce width. Best check with the builders. I do have a supporting pillar, but manage sufficiently well.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Single garage's are not built to house cars. They should be renamed "store rooms".
I don't understand how developers get away with this, when I built my house a few years ago I designed my garage around the Cobra replica I'd built and it is 3.3m X 5.0m.

There was a stipulation in the planning consent that there had to be room for 3 cars to park on the property which was fine, 2 on the drive & 1 in the garage, all sizes checked with the council.

However, when we applied for sign off of the build we were told that for a garage to be suitable as a parking space our 3.3 X 5 was no longer big enough ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cheers for that. Don’t know why I didn’t look at configurator! So it’s 1992 including wing mirrors, should fit in but not leaving much room for error getting through the door. Parking sensors will be going mad

My parking sensors keep saying no, but it fits
FYI Screw Fix do very good Garage Wall door protectors, there’s also some on Amazon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts