Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know what the grey dotted vertical line with the red dot at the top means please (to the left of the 30mph) I’ve looked online and in the manual but can’t find anything. Thank you in advance, Nic

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
@Nmac Yes, the series of dots indicate which screen you are on in the display.

On the right hand touch pad - if you swipe down, the display will change, and the red dot will move down the "dots" to indicate which screen you are on.

·
Registered
White A35 AMG, Red and Black leather interior, Premium pack
40 Posts
My first answer was ‘dust’ but in the end I learnt something 😅

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
It is after all, “just” an A-Class - the bottom of the range of M-B (Smart excepted).

A mass market car to attract as many younger buyers as possible.

·
Registered
2018 W177 A180 manual -cosmicblack metallic
16 Posts
A reduction in headline cost and a way of encouraging buyers to spend more money?
from a bussines stand point: Yes! But Mercedes is a luxury brand and imo something like the 6" screen has nothing to do there

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
Mercedes-Benz is a business, and makes mass market cars.

Some of its cars can be considered “luxury” - eg S Class.

Much of its other products, eg busses,vans, lorrys aren’t “luxury”.

They are in the business of making money :)

·
Registered
2018 W177 A180 manual -cosmicblack metallic
16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz is a business, and makes mass market cars.

Some of its cars can be considered “luxury” - eg S Class.

Much of its other products, eg busses,vans, lorrys aren’t “luxury”.

They are in the business of making money :)
Yes youre right, I used the wrong word, I didnt wanted to put the A class into luxury, I wanted to say that MB is more a premium brand.

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
I’ve had this discussion so many times about why M-B isn’t a “Premium” brand.

It makes many products, some can be considered premium - eg AMG GT-R, S-Class etc.

But it also makes many other products eg, trucks, vans, lorries, that a pure or true premium brand wouldn’t. Eg Bentley.

M-B’s are used as taxi’s in many cities, so a premium brand would not see that as a desirable product placement - but is quite happy to sell cars to fleets to run as taxi's (making money is more important than a premium brand image).

Also - there is an awful lot of “badge engineering” going on. For example, M-B take a Renault Kangoo, and put a Mercedes Badge on it, and call it a Mercedes Citan. They also take a Nissan Navara, and put a Mercedes Badge on it, and call it the X-Class. They are also not that fussy about putting a Renault engine in their cars.

A true premium brand would never allow such brand dilution to take place. You would never find a Breitling taking a Casio and sticking a Breitling badge on it for example!

In branding and marketing terms, Mercedes isn’t a “Premium” brand per se. It has some premium and luxury cars in its range, but the brand itself - doesn’t really qualify.

This is why people are regularly disappointed. The marketing and expectations of a Mercedes car exceeds the reality, with 7” screens and poor customer service!

But Mercedes sure spend a lot on their advertising and marketing to convince people that they are buying into a premium experience. Mercedes charge “premium prices” for their products - because they can - but that doesn’t necessarily make them a premium brand. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts