Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

So had my a250e a couple of weeks now and think I know all about it but one thing is confusing me. Is there no way to leave the drive and charge option on sometimes? My golf GTE had a charge mode while driving. Not ideal I know economy wise but handy now and again. The car is clearly capable as when in sport mode today with cruise control on at 40mph the energy flow graphic was showing this...

...is it just pot luck if this drive mode enables? And if it is possible does anyone know of a way round it or a tweak to sometimes leave this on for a length of time?

I don't have accees really to charge at home and due to a recent change in job I don't really have easy access at work either. So charge on the go so I could still use the full 220bhp or whatever this hybrid has in total when I need it would be good. An additional driving mode on drive select via a software update would be ideal.

Any ideas on this one?

Cheers in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,837 Posts
The car was probably designed around the PHEV philosophy, rather than the Self Charging philosophy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As veeeight said, Mercedes have designed it to work around the plug-in concept. It isn't very efficient to directly charge the battery while driving in this manner. I have noticed it doing it mainly while cruising at a steady speed on the motorway, when the satnav is running/programmed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I find it odd that it would choose to do that, when just running on ice alone would be more efficient surely? Makes me wonder if it's to fool the driver they are getting more miles out the battery than they really are in modes other than electric, as it's constantly topping it up. I know it isn't the best idea and it's far from economical. But given the feature is clearly already there, and is being utilised automatically by the car itself when cruising at a steady speed, seems odd you can't switch it on and off, no?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts